Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Horse meat some will get angry over even saying the words. But it must be brought up. For some time in this country we banned it.
Seems now it may come back. I do not think Horse will be raised as live stock for meat. They just are not a good yield.
Once the wild horse supply is used up prices will limit the market. I for one will not be lined up to buy it , not against eating it I just have to many other options.
So trigger aint going on the grill here.
Federal appeals court vacates ban on US horse slaughter | Fox News

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'm with you. I would have other uses for a horse till it's to old to be useful. At that point, sure, if we are living after the apocalypse, I wouldn't waste one.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
The people that are most against using horse meat seem to be the same people that turn their horses loose when they lose their jobs and cannot afford to feed them. In 2009 and 2010 there were a lot of starving horses around here.

Reactions: Meangreen

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Do they still send horses off to the glue factory or is that just an expression?
They must because they still sell hide glue at the wood store.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
It would seem that using them for glue and letting the meat go to waste is a shame, especially with so many people going hungry. I never understood why some people can eat one animal but not another because one is "prettier" than the other.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
horse slaughter is a dirty deed that has to happen. kinda like the dog pound. older, sick, unhomed horses go somewhere. its going to happen somewhere. the us can make sure this happens humanely. in theory we cant even have humane conditions for chickens, pigs and cows. but its better than other countries like mexico. wouldn't select it at the grocery store. but in a shtf situation I wouldn't turn my nose up if that's all there was.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
If it tastes good I will eat it. Anyone have any recipes?

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Around here when economy was down they were just leaving horse all over. You bet a lot of them ended up in the rendering plant.
As I said before if it does come to pass in the end it will be only a high end market. Horse are not a good use of feed when it come to dressed meat.
If fact neither are cattle really. Don't get me wrong I aint giving up beef.
Sheep and Goats turn low quality feed in to the best bang for your buck on the table . Pork is another fast way to turn grains into meat and the conversion is not bad.
If we plan on surviving should SHTF we must at least consider these thing. What are we going to try to raise. We will grow more crops than we can eat that will be easy for us. Hard work but easy to do. Winter storage is hard meats can be cured and stored many ways. Great grandfathers made summer sausage and hung it in the attic.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I have a old horse that needs to be put down, he has bad knees and not only isn't useful he is in some pain during the winter because of his knees.

I decided to keep him on open pasture this summer because he does pretty well in the summer and I have lots of graze and I thought he would enjoy it.

Fall comes and I start to have reservations, this is my pack horse for about 20 years and my I love this animal. Gentle, reliable, loads without a halter, I really love this animal.

So I keep him through the fall and then REALLY get serious about putting him down. The problem is there is no rendering plant I can take him to, I would like to know but I think they are all shut down.

There is no "glue factory" in America, if you sell them for slaughter they go to Mexico as I understand.

I found out my "land fill" will take them for about $35 cost at which point my wife said (bless her heart)

I would rather eat him than put him in the land fill!

So I will keep him this winter as I believe this is the last winter we will go through as a country. When the SHTF we will eat ol "joker" and thank him for it.

As a side note Lewis and Clark traded the Indians for dogs to eat, they considered them a fine meal.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I've eaten horse meat, I don't see a problem, protein is protein. Would I go out of my way to get horsemeat? no! Yet I wouldn't turn my nose up at it either.

I don't want to offend the my little pony types, yet a horse is livestock, and having livestock is different than having pets. I find that the more urban a person is the less likely they are to understand that difference, yet to be fair some do.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I have heard lately that the "killers" are going to reopen also.. It will bring the price of horses back up if they do. You can get a great horse for dirt cheap right now because there are so many of them.It's not uncommon to see a good roping horse for $1500-$3000. There are some stables inFlorida that actually give away horses as long as you board them there for a certain period of time. If you are planning on getting one anyway and needed a place to keep it. It would be a great situation for someone wanting to get into horses..

I have always loved horses but they are VERY time consuming if you don't have a good pasture for them. Even then, they take quite a bit of time.. It's funny, I have had horses most of my life. Now thay we are here in Montana on thousands of acres. I don't have one. At least not my own. There are about 30 horses here so I get plenty of riding. But I don't have my own yet. We are looking for a few roping horses I can put some miles on here at the ranch though..

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Grew up with horses. Some I got really attached to and it was hard when they got old. I don't particularly like horse meat but when hungry it tastes okay. Most of the meat went for dog food, horse meat gets pretty tough with the old horses. Not sure I could eat the dogs unless nothing else around. My great grandfather took me on a visit to friends and told me not to eat the stew - it was puppy. So I have never eaten dog.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It would seem that using them for glue and letting the meat go to waste is a shame, especially with so many people going hungry. I never understood why some people can eat one animal but not another because one is "prettier" than the other.
Hoof hearted... :)

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
If I was hungry enough and food was scarce, I would eat horse meat. Right now I am not that hungry and there are other sources of meat.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Seneca said it right, protein is protein. The only way that a horse has more value than as a meal, is if that horse can be ridden, packed, etc.

Several cultures, including our own American Indian, prize horsemeat. Protein is protein. It might be a little stringier, a little tougher, or you might have to cook it a little different (mostly due to fat content, the leaner the meat the slower and wetter it needs to be cooked to help it's palatibility).

While in Central and South America, I learned it's best not to ask what kind of meat I was getting. If it was on the street, they were gonna lie anyway, and quite a few restaraunts have been known to substitute what is availalable. As long as it was cooked thoroughly, you can season damn near anything to the point you can eat it. And it might even be really good.

We raise meat goats as well as horses here. The horses are basically bidding time in case we have to bug out, in which case they become pack horses, and if necessary, meals on wheels. Don't get me wrong, I really like our horses, but I'm not that attached to them that I don't see them as a source of protein if we have no other options. As long as they are able to keep us mobile, their value is more than what it would be if they are lame or we absolutely have to have the protein.

I'd be willing to bet that quite a few folks that have a reservation about eating horse will change their tune pretty quickly when their belly is scraping their backbone.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I have eaten horse meat and it is pretty good. It's not as good as venison but it is good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts