Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of slaughterhouses are trying to open/reopen with horses being the primary meat source. When I was small we sometimes ate horse and I don't find it objectionable at all. Inor and I have a friend in AZ who laments the number of horses that have been abandoned or neglected because of the economy. As a prepper, should the shtf, I would look at a horse as a potential way to feed my family.

What say you all?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I've always wanted to try horse. They'd be last on the list though, since they're good transportation. Well, if they want to be. My first broken bone, which also landed me in the hospital, was courtesy of a horse. Come to think of it, my 5th broken bone was too. Hmm. Soup's on!

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
In the heart of NM, we have an ongoing battle that says the horse is sacred. There is a slaughterhouse fighting to open. To me, cows and horses eat the same thing, I would eat a horse.
Some religions also sanctify the cow, but I sure enjoy me a burger.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Yes I would eat it also. Especially SHTF. Any such situation meat will be premium.

Farmers make the hard decisions every fall. How much feed do they have for how many animals? Then which animals to thin out, slaughter if you will? Same could easily happen with horses & I'm sure some amish do it.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I don't understand what the problem is, horses may be prettier than cattle, but I don't think they are any smarter. I would eat a horse if I was feeling a bit peckish, much less starving.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Most of the "anti" feelings that Americans have about eating horse comes from the Old Testament, . . . wherein God allowed the Israelites to eat anything that had a cloven hoof AND chewed the cud.

Camels, horses, and pigs were ruled out on those two ideas.

The New Testament has this to say "4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer" (1 Tim 4:4-5 KJV).

While I have never eaten horse, I figure that enough tobasco / garlic / hickory smoke, etc. will most likely make it palatable to an old hungry coot like me.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
I would have no problem eating horse meat.

Best part is some idiot will be out riding one around and think they are safe. Won't have to go hunting just watch the roads and trails and wait. When people are starving and desperate I don't think they will pass up a easy couple hundred pounds of meat. Just because someone is sitting on it won't bother them.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I don't understand what the problem is, horses may be prettier than cattle, but I don't think they are any smarter. I would eat a horse if I was feeling a bit peckish, much less starving.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Having raised both, I can say for sure horses are way smarter than cows. And prettier. And the best shoulder for a little girl to cry on. ...and painful. :D Although we did have a bull we could ride around.

·
Super Moderator
9,264 Posts
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Having raised both, I can say for sure horses are way smarter than cows. And prettier. And the best shoulder for a little girl to cry on. ...and painful. :D Although we did have a bull we could ride around.
My wife would agree with you in a heartbeat. I will have to hide this thread. If she finds it, most of you will Persona non grata.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Ate horse as a kid (Family was having hard times and it was cheaper than beef). Just don't understand why we are letting the French have all that good protein.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
The killers (horse slaughter houses) have been shut down for several years and the market on horses went down dramatically. You couldn't hardly even give a horse away. They have been so cheap it is crazy. Even good ropin horses are available at a good price. Once the killers open back up the market should go back to where it normally is.. As for eatin it. I don't think I have had it yet but am all for it if I had to.

I remember about 15yrs ago I knew a place that sold exotic meats. You name it and they had it. I have had zebra,water buffalo,ostrich and axis deer to name a few.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I have no problem eating a horse as long as it's not my mine. But if I was starving, I'd eat mine anyways, just miss em a bit. When it comes down to it as far as meat goes, if I'm hungry, I'll eat just about anything living or not dead that long. That may mean long pork too, I just can't say till the moment comes about.

Cartoon Smile Gesture Rectangle Font

·
Registered
24,528 Posts
I've always wanted to try horse. They'd be last on the list though, since they're good transportation. Well, if they want to be. My first broken bone, which also landed me in the hospital, was courtesy of a horse. Come to think of it, my 5th broken bone was too. Hmm. Soup's on!
Cracked sternum for me. Held a grudge against those creatures ever since.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I would have gladly eaten the one that threw me and stepped on my leg a few years ago,doggone leg still aches and the scar aint pretty either.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I'll make sure and save mine for you.

[Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post]
I would eat the ass out of skunk if I were hungry enough! Why not horse meat?
[/QUOTE]

Indie, I don't care what new perfume you try out but saving your what for him????

On a more down to earth note; I have eaten horse meat and it is a lot like Elk but ... "richer"? Hard to explain.
One thing for sure - I won't be eating the ass out of anything. If it isn't a muscle it's dog food or bait.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts