Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning.

I'm looking for a new bush craft knife and was thinking about getting one that comes with a horizontal sheath. I'd like to be able to conceal it when need be without taking it off. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,080 Posts
The Gerber Strongarm is a solid knife with a sheath than can be mounted horizontally on the belt. It's molle compatible too, so you can lash it to a pack with webbing quickly.
I have one on my armor rig, and it's a beast. It might be a tad large for your desired use. Give it a look.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
The Gerber Strongarm is a solid knife with a sheath than can be mounted horizontally on the belt. It's molle compatible too, so you can lash it to a pack with webbing quickly.
I have one on my armor rig, and it's a beast. It might be a tad large for your desired use. Give it a look.
Full tang also. I like mine.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,023 Posts
What is a bush craft knife?Wait a minute I looked it up, I had a Gerber like that style, with a tool steel blade.

Something like that?

That maybe?

Reactions: Kauboy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Looks like a nice knife. It is pretty big.

·
Administrator
14,707 Posts
I have a Marbles Ideal, which was the original "hunting knife" in the 1920's. It's a modern off shore made, an original will set you back $500 or more. Smoky Mountain Knife Works actually has a few originals.
The sheath it came with has an optional horizontal carry loop, but with a 6" blade and overall length of 11" that is very awkward. I tried it.
Luckily, Florida has literally NO knife laws. I could wear an 18" blade machete on my belt with no legal problems.
I DO wear a fixed blade knife anytime I'm outside the house, but anything longer than a 5" blade hangs up on the seat when I get in my truck. Which is a shame, my Ka-Bar USMC Fighting Knife is just so darn comforting.
I think for horizontal wear I'd personally stick with no longer than 4" blade.

Reactions: Hemi45

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a Marbles Ideal, which was the original "hunting knife" in the 1920's. It's a modern off shore made, an original will set you back $500 or more. Smoky Mountain Knife Works actually has a few originals.
The sheath it came with has an optional horizontal carry loop, but with a 6" blade and overall length of 11" that is very awkward. I tried it.
Luckily, Florida has literally NO knife laws. I could wear an 18" blade machete on my belt with no legal problems.
I DO wear a fixed blade knife anytime I'm outside the house, but anything longer than a 5" blade hangs up on the seat when I get in my truck. Which is a shame, my Ka-Bar USMC Fighting Knife is just so darn comforting.
I think for horizontal wear I'd personally stick with no longer than 4" blade.
That is cool. I actually have a Marbles Gladstone 1916. I here it was the most popular hunting knife in the US from then until WWII. Inherited it from my grandfather. I agree about the size of horizontal at 4". That's what I'd go with. Took a pic of it for you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I own a Strongarm as well, it’s currently lashed to my get home bag.

I am just personally not a fan of horizontal carry (for me). I don’t leave home without a knife or two... and I sometimes carry some big knives, but they’re primarily tactical folders. I’m a martial artist, and have studied some MBC, but dont find MBC all that practical (In real world situations). I teach use of force, so this is my wheel house.

Let’s talk knife attacks:

If I’m out and about, I generally have a gun on me, and if presented with a deadly threat (knife pulled), I’m going to get a gun into the fight. If a gun were not an option, I dislike the thought of simply pulling out a knife. Knife on knife fights end badly for everyone involved. I mean, a knife is better than empty hand, I suppose, but maybe not.

Knife defense centers around attempting to control the attacking knife, and working to disarm/disable the attacker. If you have a knife in your hand, you might be able to inflict a few stabs/cuts in your attacker, but you’re likely to take a few yourself...

honestly for me it’s situationally dependent. I’m seriously not opposed to GTFO strategy, and disengage from the encounter. My pride is importan, but not at the risk of having a bunch of stabby holes in me. i also think the crocodile Dundee approach is ok too, in certain situations
.. someone draws a knife on you, trying to intimidate, and you also draw a scary looking knife, and present it in a way that telegraphs to the attacker they done effed up, well, I’ve seen attackers think twice and run off (probably because they know that knife fights don’t end well. And your wallet isn’t worth getting a bunch of stabby holes in them.)

so what are your goals of horizontal carry? Bushcraft? Sorry, I rad your comment about concealed, and I lept to MBC and knife fights (it’s where my brain lurks). I like the Esee knives for small bushcraft. Maybe the Esee 3 or 4?

I have an Esee 5, buts really too big for anything practical IMHO, other than a camp knife (not having to carry it, as I have handguns that weigh less).

If I were to carry horizontal for MBC, I have the perfect knife...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts