Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
yah that's real similar to the one I built before the coke can stove. The thing with this one is it runs with wicking instead. I like the wicked ones, that video I did on the micro cookset it ran just fine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Alcohol gas stoves from recycled cans

I've got a bunch of alcohol gas stoves that I'm trying to sell at $20 with free shipping. I made these by hand, but all work great. Dishware Tableware Blue Wood Drinkware
Automotive lighting Medical Gas Drinkware Art
Water Fluid Cuisine Dish Liquid

If you're interested, send me a PM.

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yep, pop cans.

Mine are made from aluminum bottles, about 0.020 thousandths thick. Aluminum cans are about 1/10 that thick. I've stood on top of mine and caused NO damage, and I'm no small kid.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I currently use them when camping/backpacking. They are small to carry, weigh about one ounce. I figured since something like a jet boil would be great, but too prone to breaking (I'm a klutz). And, it still needs fuel. This way, when I use denatured alcohol, I can still use it to start a fire, too, if the wood is wet.

To make these, I mark the bottles in three places, cut them, file the cutouts in the bottom for the alcohol to run through. Then, I put them in a machined die, press it to fold the edges over and then drill holes that are evenly spaced in the die. Once I pop them out of the die, I crimp the edges in three places to allow the stove to breath.

I've made over 100 hundred of these--I'm done! It takes me about 2 hours to make 12 because of the many steps. The cutting is the most challenging part, since the entire process is by hand.

By the way, I've cooked lots of food--the most exotic was popcorn and fried fish (not mixed together). One ounce of fuel burns for 10 minutes, so they are super efficient, too.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I just threw one together... It took about 25 minutes if that. I didn't add any insulation to it. I wouldn't recommend using isopropyl. It doesn't heat up quick enough to gassify the contents before the pool on top exhausts itself. I'm going to pick up some HEET tomorrow to see if it works better.

·
Registered
438 Posts
A couple weeks later, I ran HEET through my stove tonight... I was impressed with how well it held up in the wind, and for how long it burned. I tried boiling water over it, but I cut that experiment short after 30 minutes with no success... I will try again when there is less wind and will try with a different aluminum can. The one I used has a polymer inside it, and I suspect that this slowed down the boiling process by insulating the water from the can itself. The water did feel like it was getting closer. I was just done with the cold.

Also, after I quenched it by putting jar overtop of it, there was still HEET inside... after a half hour of burning!!! This may be the coolest little thing ever. It is definitely being added to my BOB and probably to my backpacking gear as well!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Try some denatured alcohol. The big box stores sell it in the paint stripper section. It burns well, is clean, and gets hot. 70% isopropyl doesn't work well at all, 90% only slightly less frustrating.

Denatured is the way to go.

pharmer14, put up some pictures!

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Try some denatured alcohol. The big box stores sell it in the paint stripper section. It burns well, is clean, and gets hot. 70% isopropyl doesn't work well at all, 90% only slightly less frustrating.

The denatured is simply awesome for these and other stoves because it burns hot but doesn't catch things on fire with a little mishap. It's easy to extinguish and it burns with like no soot at all. Pure blue flame, great burn times on that stuff. I bought a couple drums of it and put it in those Coleman keep all bottles, works like a charm. Smell is almost nothing, with iso it leaves huge soot and smells.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Definitely place a wad of insulation inside just in case you bump or tip it over you won't have a fire hazard. After a while you'll know a little goes a long ways and you will easily be able to ballpark just how muck alcohol will boil water, fry fish or just plain warm your feet. Be safe, we want to hear back from you. Have a great week all!

punch

·
Registered
12 Posts
Definitely place a wad of insulation inside just in case you bump or tip it over you won't have a fire hazard. After a while you'll know a little goes a long ways and you will easily be able to ballpark just how muck alcohol will boil water, fry fish or just plain warm your feet. Be safe, we want to hear back from you. Have a great week all!

punch
I'm totally agree with you.You'r 100% good here that a wad of insulating material within just in case you bump or tip it over you won't have a flame risk.
You will easily be able to ballpark...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I made 2 of these and then I found another version which i think is a little better, no priming at all. here is the link to it.

[video=dailymotion;x69z0b]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x69z0b_how-to-make-a-soda-can-stove_school[/video]

·
Registered
438 Posts

I didn't take any last night. Once things settle down with grad school a bit, I will try again and post pics.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.