Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing with inexpensive but good systems ?
I'm looking for good resolution, night capable, 4 camera, with dvr system.
There are a myriad of choices out there, but I've seen some $200 systems that are terrible in ideal conditions.
Possibly thinking of building my own piece by piece to be able to afford it. Any suggestions, tips, etc?
Ideally would have smart phone access too!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
x3. Looking mainly for outdoor with night vision, not wireless because I don't want to replace batteries all the time. Looking to piece mine together and add more as time goes on depending on where I need them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I dont know the cost or number of camera's but last years one of my officers was involved in a shooting that was captured on video by a costco home security system. They photos were great and very clear.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a Night Owl camera system at my house. Four cameras plus two decoys. It works great, I can check it from my iPhone. Remember to put one aimed at the house from the yard. I have one on a utility service pole. It doesn't do you any good to have cameras on the house looking out if they are under it.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Those night owls look like a great product. Glad to see a "real person" instead of a sales person recommending. Going to look more into myself.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I was looking for one about a year back, key word was cheap though, so I picked this one up for $40 with free shipping. I needed it to be infrared and weatherproof. If your looking for a very cheap single camera, the link is to the one I purchased. You need a DVR or even a VCR to record, and it doesn't come with a microphone (although I picked one up for $10). I've been using it pretty regularly, and no complaints. I did buy an extra 100 foot power supply cable, though. The resolution is pretty good for the price. Easy to use, it seems fairly reliable, and the casing around it is aluminum.

Amazon.com: VideoSecu Outdoor Day Night Security Camera Infrared Weatherproof CCTV Home 1/3" CCD 420 TV Lines 28 IR LEDs Wide View Angle Lens with Free Power Supply A71: Camera & Photo

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies, checking out the links now.
I know its quite the conundrum, but there has to be something good and inexpensive out there. My issue is clarity. How can you catch a perp if you can't id them?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The night owl stuff looks promising. Just wondering how good their complete 4 camera kit is.. price is right ($289.89).
Im so skeptical of claimed specs. Ive seen three supposed "420tvl" cameras side by side and they can have a huge variance of clarity.

·
Registered
9,180 Posts
I have a 4 camera system, outside only, 250' ir night, 1/3", high res, 0 lux system with a dvr and removable hard drives.

I cannot see my driveway from my bedroom or from my shop (concrete, no windows), thus the system.

Dvr is in a secure room.

Each camera is powered through the coax cable linking it to the multiplexer.

This system is not "cheap", cheaper systems are really only good for active monitoring.

I put it together myself with components from a texas company called supercircuits.

This operates in conjunction with my alarm system.

I do operate a gun-smithing shop, hence the security.

For your own info you can compare the the quality of all the cameras on their site and what they can do.

·
Registered
210 Posts
After reading this, I pulled out my iPhone and screen shot what it looks like with the Night Owl. If you notice camera two is not on the house but high on the utility service pole in my yard. The resolution is excellent and I can clearly view what is happening in real time. The app I use to view is ASee which is a free app. The ASee+ app is also good but it splits the screen into four parts. I would rather have larger views.

photo1.PNG photo.PNG

·
Registered
61 Posts
My next door neighbor (actually, two houses down) just bought a surveillance system a few weeks ago. THE VERY NEXT DAY...some douchebag tried to siphon gas (with an electric pump :shock:) out of another neighbor's truck in broad daylight. The pump and the thief catch on fire, he jumps into his truck to make a quick getaway, catches his truck on fire and jumps out while it's still moving, and the truck crashes into another neighbor's house and catches it on fire while he tries to book it out of the neighborhood on foot. His cameras caught it all, and all the news stations had to pay him for use of his captured video...paid for the system about 3X over.

·
Registered
210 Posts
One of my neighbors has complained that he believes that one of my cameras is filming the cul-de-sac and that I shouldn't be allowed to do it because of privacy reasons. What is odd is that I live in the cul-de-sac, he lives four houses down and really has no need to pass the camera in question. Another fact that he doesn't need to know is that camera is one of two that are decoys...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have 2 systems one at my place of business one at home. I found the cost can be controlled by starting small and adding to it. The DVR Units were bought new for right around 900.00 Cameras i I picked up various places some used, some new. System At home is strictly outdoor one at work is indoor. For work I bought a group of used cameras (they had been in a Wal-mart) sorted through them and had good quality Cameras cheap. The outdoor ones being IR I bought new online. Both systems record, zoom,search everything you need for loss prevention. Like stated above alot of camera systems do not record, so you only have eyes on it when you watching the monitor.

·
Registered
59 Posts
After reading this, I pulled out my iPhone and screen shot what it looks like with the Night Owl. If you notice camera two is not on the house but high on the utility service pole in my yard. The resolution is excellent and I can clearly view what is happening in real time. The app I use to view is ASee which is a free app. The ASee+ app is also good but it splits the screen into four parts. I would rather have larger views.

SD I take it you used a wireless camera on the pole. Nice set up- looks good.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
210 Posts

SD I take it you used a wireless camera on the pole. Nice set up- looks good.
No, I didn't use a wireless on that pole. It's wired. Since that was the service pole to my home it already had electric, phone and cable on it. I felt very confident that it could handle one more line. My line for the camera is about 1 foot below the cable television with just about the same amount of slack. The problem with a wireless camera is that you still have to get power to it. It was just as easy to have a combination power/video as a power run that far.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts