Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family and I have noticed and paid particular attention to the rash of home invasions that have been occurring around the west Michigan area and all over the united states.

A young women (24?) on the west side of our state went out to feed her horse and a man came up behind her held a knife to her throat, a fight took place, she was stabbed in the leg. The lucky thing was she was carrying a hand gun, shot at the guy twice and he escaped.

A group of home invasions took place in and around Ionia they showed a pic on the news of the guys group of guns that had been recovered, I am sure they are all in a data base now.

I really get upset, when I see these home invasions on the news daily / nightly.

I do not see our justice / correction system stopping these people from doing this.

Of all the offences that can be done in the world, some one breaking in to your home and assaulting you or a family member in my opinion should be subject to capital punishment if convicted.

On another tangent of this subject, I can not get my girls, Wife and two daughters, interested enough in protection so they can defend themselves, I am only at the house 20 percent of the time as I work 50 hours a week and farm on the side.

The lack of interest for these girls bothers me, my wife is a little more educated than my oldest daughter, but I would like to see it be second nature for them as it is for me, to grab the rifle, turn the safety off, acquire a target and fire. This only comes with practice, they have this idea in there minds that I will do the dirty work if necessary, but I am only at the house a minimal amount.

Run on I know but this subject bothers the shit out of me.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
It's always been a subject/situation that's bothered me over the years. It happens all over and always will. The reality is our justice system is bad in dealing with criminals, not punishing them as they should and executing those that should be to stop them from further hurting society. I don't know how much I've tried to get my sisters, mother, ex-wife and girlfriends aware and ready to deal with it if it happens to them over the years, but it's more than I want to think about and most are still niave and ignorant about it and lots of other dangers of life. I've literally given up at this point after nearing half a century of living. They've chosen to be the way they are and I've come to accept they can't be helped. What happens happens.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
..I can not get my girls, Wife and two daughters, interested enough in protection so they can defend themselves..
Tell them the front door is their only barrier against the big bad world and remind them what Bilbo Baggins said-"It's a dangerous business going out your door"
Even opening it to cold callers is a risky business; if this "home invasion" clip doesn't get the message across and make them want to get a gun nothing will-
(I'm in two minds about posting it because it's so shocking, so if the moderators want to take it down go ahead)

***GONE***

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
i had my car broken into last week, i had nothing in there to steal, and i have life lock for information. its rather odd, they were after info? went through each piece of paper in my glove box... there were about 20 other cars, and are on camera of mostly glove compartment box time. it scared me as if they were gearing up for home invasion. Im trained as ****, but find myself scared. lapd is all over it, finger rints, down loading the video and stuff. well they are as all over it as they would be for a car break in. my officer friends assure me that i wont be nailed anytime soon... but i cant help but to feel, ya know super scared of home invasion. i never carry cash. because i have no need for it. well its scary. being armed is so nessasary at all times. :(

·
Registered
302 Posts
I hate to know that some can be so naïve as to think that a home invasion can't happen to them.

Continue to talk defense with them, go as far as to set the house up in a defensive manner, and pray that it never happens.
But if it were to happen, maybe...just maybe what you've been saying will click with them and they can defend themselves.

I've had to learn to use a little "conniving" or "reverse phycology" with my husband and sons to get things attended too. I'm not talking out and out lying, but turn things around to where it's appealing to them, maybe even fun. You kill two birds with one stone so to speak. It's like my youngest son, he keeps the yard mowed continuously because it's "exercise"...I get my yard mowed, he stays in shape through the summer.

Find a way to get them interested...

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have similar reactions from females in my life. I eventually managed to convince my wife, mom and sister to carry pepper spray and a tactical flashlight. So they have some self-defense capability. They won't keep a gun handy.

We socialize women differently from men in this Country, and most women (not all) do not like guns. They are loud, heavy, scary, shoot fire out their barrels, and kill defenseless animals.

My niece tells me that certain jobs are "man jobs" that women don't do (such as cleaning the grates on a BBQ grill) - I do not agree with her (work is work) but women do not want to do things that men do (and vice versa).

I just "engineer around them" - by that I mean I buy a gun she can shoot in the event she ever needs to, and have it ready for her then. She has a .38 S&W revolver, a 10/22 .22LR carbine, and a Ruger 22/45 Target pistol. I shoot them but I keep them for her to use (seriously).

The way I see it, men are responsible for family security. Women are supposed to be protected by their men (see fairy tales and knights in shining armor) so you might as well embrace the responsibility. Walk the perimeter, check the doors and windows, get a big dog they can cuddle that will also guard them, try and get them to go shooting with you (they always feel so empowered it usually gets them to "see the light"), and talk to them about how predators operate, and how they can outsmart them.

I grew up in the South and women down here are more inclined to accept guns. Some even hunt and like to. But they are the exception to the rule.

So, buy good door locks, get a big dog, and do what a man does to protect them. If that fails, at least you did your best. But I have been guarding women and girls my whole life. So far, no one has harmed them on my watch.

Teach them what you can, and engineer around them for the rest....

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
My family and I have noticed and paid particular attention to the rash of home invasions that have been occurring around the west Michigan area and all over the united states.

A young women (24?) on the west side of our state went out to feed her horse and a man came up behind her held a knife to her throat, a fight took place, she was stabbed in the leg. The lucky thing was she was carrying a hand gun, shot at the guy twice and he escaped.

A group of home invasions took place in and around Ionia they showed a pic on the news of the guys group of guns that had been recovered, I am sure they are all in a data base now.

I really get upset, when I see these home invasions on the news daily / nightly.

I do not see our justice / correction system stopping these people from doing this.

Of all the offences that can be done in the world, some one breaking in to your home and assaulting you or a family member in my opinion should be subject to capital punishment if convicted.

On another tangent of this subject, I can not get my girls, Wife and two daughters, interested enough in protection so they can defend themselves, I am only at the house 20 percent of the time as I work 50 hours a week and farm on the side.

The lack of interest for these girls bothers me, my wife is a little more educated than my oldest daughter, but I would like to see it be second nature for them as it is for me, to grab the rifle, turn the safety off, acquire a target and fire. This only comes with practice, they have this idea in there minds that I will do the dirty work if necessary, but I am only at the house a minimal amount.

Run on I know but this subject bothers the shit out of me.
The police are thinking the stabbing reports aren't adding up at the moment, they don't believe her. I'm paying attention here in West MI, in fact I have my door unlocked and open while I'm inside.::redsnipe::

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have similar reactions from females in my life. I eventually managed to convince my wife, mom and sister to carry pepper spray and a tactical flashlight. So they have some self-defense capability. They won't keep a gun handy.

We socialize women differently from men in this Country, and most women (not all) do not like guns. They are loud, heavy, scary, shoot fire out their barrels, and kill defenseless animals.

My niece tells me that certain jobs are "man jobs" that women don't do (such as cleaning the grates on a BBQ grill) - I do not agree with her (work is work) but women do not want to do things that men do (and vice versa).

I just "engineer around them" - by that I mean I buy a gun she can shoot in the event she ever needs to, and have it ready for her then. She has a .38 S&W revolver, a 10/22 .22LR carbine, and a Ruger 22/45 Target pistol. I shoot them but I keep them for her to use (seriously).

The way I see it, men are responsible for family security. Women are supposed to be protected by their men (see fairy tales and knights in shining armor) so you might as well embrace the responsibility. Walk the perimeter, check the doors and windows, get a big dog they can cuddle that will also guard them, try and get them to go shooting with you (they always feel so empowered it usually gets them to "see the light"), and talk to them about how predators operate, and how they can outsmart them.

I grew up in the South and women down here are more inclined to accept guns. Some even hunt and like to. But they are the exception to the rule.

So, buy good door locks, get a big dog, and do what a man does to protect them. If that fails, at least you did your best. But I have been guarding women and girls my whole life. So far, no one has harmed them on my watch.

Teach them what you can, and engineer around them for the rest....
I agree with him...(I'm also in the South) Have had a gun in my hands since I was 6. The thoughts of not being able to defend myself doesn't cross my mind or scare me. (Maybe it should) There's always gonna be someone bigger and badder come along.

I really haven't shared some things with a lot of people, but have been in a position to have to defend myself. For some reason I didn't get scared, I got angry. When a man places his hands around your throat and tries to choke you, you have two choices. Fight or flight. The fight mode kicked in and he got more than be bargained for. I walked away unmarked, he didn't.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I think that you are wrong to think men must protect and women need to be protected. We are your partner. When you use the phrase "getting hitched" it means that you are working together, side by side. If one horse pulls more than the other, they will soon tire, and are the worse for it. You might sit down with your wife and daughter - show them the videos here. Explain how worried you are for thier safety. Show emotion, let thm know how you feel. Show them you're scared for them. Make an impact on them. It might take more than one discussion. But if it was my husband talking to me, I would listen because I love him, and respect his opinion. Even if I didn't like guns, I would discuss this, again, because of respect and love. I've heard of home invasions of older folks in Minneapolis and St.Paul, where they tie up the victims and then torture to get more money/find out where the "gold is hidden". You just don't know about tweekers and their mind sets. It's not just drug dealers and addicts that do home invastions, either.

Don't forget that a gun isn't the only weapon available in your home. I've got cast iron frying pans. I've got knives hidden everywhere in the house, in case I can't get to my guns, a can of hair spray and a lighter - wicked. A baseball bat, a BBQ fork. Make it a game with your wife and girls. Write down all the hiding places possible, all the weapons possible. Think outside the box.

A big dog is a good idea, and you should obedienced traid it, so it responds to commands by your family - your whole family. There are certain dog breeds that are very good at protection and still good with kids. See your local dog trainers (more than one, to get a rounded opinion). I was told by a police officer here in town, that a meth head will not be stopped by a dog, unless the dog actually takes them down. Chances are the tweeker won't feel the pain of just one bite. A small dog can't do enough damage - their mouths are too small, they don't have the psi power that the bigger dogs have in their jaws. I'm thinking of getting a third dog, as my "man stopper" is getting older, and isn't as quick as he once was.

There are lots of women and girls in the North that have guns and hunt. You'd be surprised. My Mom was a lady. In every sense of the word. But I gaurentee, she knew where my Dad's police issue was, how to load it and I have no doubt she'd put down anyone who threatened us. Bless her heart, she was very soft spoken, but don't piss her off...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually the stuff you need to be worried about is the stuff that get swept under the rug, the stuff the media does not talk about. It happens, a lot more then you think. I work as a dispatcher, you wouldn't believe the stuff that happens that no one hears a word about. ESPECIALLY in your SAFE little neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Having worked in prisons a good chunk of my life home invasions are not something criminals are driven to out of desperation. They enjoy the sense of power and control for them this is good times the victim is just an object for their pleasure, to be killed and discarded when they are done. the system does not deal harshly enough with them.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Odd my wife's car was broken into last Thursday. They got $.70 cents out of the change cup. We got a $165 bill for a new window. It sucks. My wife was worried about them knowing out address.

I told her if they did look at the good side. We are better prepared for them then most, and after us they'd likely never do it again !

i had my car broken into last week, i had nothing in there to steal, and i have life lock for information. its rather odd, they were after info? went through each piece of paper in my glove box... there were about 20 other cars, and are on camera of mostly glove compartment box time. it scared me as if they were gearing up for home invasion. Im trained as ****, but find myself scared. lapd is all over it, finger rints, down loading the video and stuff. well they are as all over it as they would be for a car break in. my officer friends assure me that i wont be nailed anytime soon... but i cant help but to feel, ya know super scared of home invasion. i never carry cash. because i have no need for it. well its scary. being armed is so nessasary at all times. :(

·
Registered
824 Posts
So here goes, I am the type of guy which has a weapon within arms reach about no matter where you stand in my apartment. My ex said I live like a "sociopath". I on the other hand have had enough stuff happen to me I feel I am my own best chance of keeping myself safe. Which brings me to the next point. Protect and Serve, it was made clear to me during CERT training that the officer is there to protect the community as a whole, not you as an individual. Also keep in mind with things such as home invasion they generally arrive after the offender is long gone.

The law or justice system doesn't have a full capacity to reduce crime, I firmly believe people on an individual basis are responsible for knowing how to protect their safety, and be less of an appetizing target. Crime is usually an act of opportunity, if we make it less worth while, and increase the risk we can at least help deter the crime.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Neither my wife nor I live in fear of a home invasion, much like we don't live in fear of the end of civility, but we are prepared for such events.
Our home is hardened, there are no entrances or approaches without video coverage. We both carry every day, all day. We know our daily surroundings well enough that anomalies are obvious. We are both absolutely prepared to use significant force in the protection of ourselves and our family and friends.

The sad truth is that society simply lacks the gonads to punish violent criminals sufficiently and until that changes they will to assault easy targets with relative impunity... so it's up to us to let the criminals know the juice just ain't worth the squeeze. It's my hope that the last words of all home invaders are "oh shit"...

·
Registered
904 Posts
Home invasion robberies are most definately on the rise here in rural Northern California. Mostly it is a "gang" of 3-4 people who drive up from the bay area and have a particular house targeted. They know ahead of time from past dealings or word of mouth that the home owner has marijuana. Well over 95% of the cases I handle are drug related on both sides. Usually, the home owner, and anyone else in the house ends up pretty beat up having their door kicked in the middle of the night. The occupants are overwhelmed immediately, beaten with clubs or guns, and then dragged around the house. Once in a while someone gets killed, but not usually. The best advise I can give anyone who is concerned is stay away from the drug trade. For the 5% of the cases that are not drug related, I would advise ensuring that it is more dangerous for the person attempting to break open the door than the person on the inside. Harden your security devises, be alert, and well trained with firearms. The criminal justice system is not designed to protect you from this type of criminal. You must protect yourself.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.