Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had several home defense weapons (not talking SHTF weapon) in my life time from a baseball bat to battle rifles. At first it was what I could afford. Then the more powerful the better. Here is where I'm at now. Moss 500 with a red laser, Mesa shell holder and a home depot flashlight. It has everything I need; fire power, intimidation, small and maneuverable for those room searches, flashlight for the night and laser to assist in aiming. Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Yup. You are missing a stock. Get that kudzu-commando pistol grip off that thing and put the stock back on. As is, there is to much play; too many pivot points. Serious decline in accuracy when you have to employ it in bad situations.
Another reason for having a stock instead of the pistol grip is that, if you try to glance around a corner while holding the weapon at the ready, the barrel precedes your head. That gives the BG extra time to plug your noggin.

Stocks good, kudzu-commando grips bad. As far as the rest, that is a matter of preference and taste. The mossy 500 is a great weapon - enjoy!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
SUPERB choice in the 500! I'm more a fan of having the flashlight separate from the gun. Allows looking around corners muuuch better, and when things go "bump in the night" your not sticking a shot gun in the face of your now EX-girlfriend, wife, or one of your kids to see what the noise was. Plus the separate flashlight can be easily thrown down a hall as a distraction, or left pointed up in the middle of a room if it's painting you as a target more than helping (also one reason I don't care for lasers). Given the intended use of this gun, I'd be all over having tritium sights on it and the full stock Denton mentioned. JMO

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Chest full of 00 buck = never having to say your sorry. Butt stock if someone tries to grab barrel and sweeps themselves pull trigger. If they don't sweep themselves and you can't sweep them butt stock to grape been working for centuries.

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another reason for having a stock instead of the pistol grip is that, if you try to glance around a corner while holding the weapon at the ready, the barrel precedes your head. That gives the BG extra time to plug your noggin.
This statement confuses me! One of the reasons for the pistol grip is to allow me to pie a room without the barrel sticking out. You would use it with same technique as you would a pistol. Keep it close to your body.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
You're always missing something. Home defense is nothing but defense of the homestead and that opens up covering different possible areas same as defending a hill or a bunker. No one weapon is good for everything, just like no one screwdriver can fix everything. You need a toolbox that you can reach in and grab the right tool for the job when you need it.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
This statement confuses me! One of the reasons for the pistol grip is to allow me to pie a room without the barrel sticking out. You would use it with same technique as you would a pistol. Keep it close to your body.
To be ready to fire, the weapon has to be held higher when close to the body.
Try it both ways and you'll notice the difference.
You'll also notice control is better with the stock, rather than the kudzu-grip.
Just some things I learned before career changes.
Keep the pivot points to a minimal and your movement-advertisement down, too, and you will fair better.

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SUPERB choice in the 500! I'm more a fan of having the flashlight separate from the gun. Allows looking around corners muuuch better, and when things go "bump in the night" your not sticking a shot gun in the face of your now EX-girlfriend, wife, or one of your kids to see what the noise was. Plus the separate flashlight can be easily thrown down a hall as a distraction, or left pointed up in the middle of a room if it's painting you as a target more than helping (also one reason I don't care for lasers). Given the intended use of this gun, I'd be all over having tritium sights on it and the full stock Denton mentioned. JMO
I can see the advantages of having the flashlight off the weapon. But I think when you have that bump in the night (in my case the alarm goes off) it's nice to only have to look/get one thing. Our none-SHTF plan is when the house alarm goes off we will hunker in the bedroom and call 911. When someone opens the BR door his or her ass is mine. In a SHTF situation the Moss 500 changes to an AR or HK. For me I wouldn't use the flashlight in the house anyway. Know the floor plan and rooms to well and with the street lights it's never that dark. It's manly for when I would need to go outside around the pool or storage area. As for the laser if for my wife, it helps her. She's can't hit squat without it. But with the laser she deadly.

·
Administrator
15,411 Posts
How are you going to hold a flashlight in your hand and work the fore end at the same time?
I have tried it using a two D cell Maglight and I can't do it.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I can see the advantage of having the light separate from a pistol, but on a 12ga. if you have to fire the thing it is going to be hard to hang onto a flashlight. Also easier to disarm someone with a long gun if they have a flashlight in one hand and only holding the gun with one.

Reactions: Doomsday

·
Administrator
15,411 Posts
I use a shotgun and a Maglight every evening when I go put the chickens up for the night. The shotgun is there for the occasional possbility of predators. I also use the light to see what the heck I'm doing with the chickens, counting heads, etc. That's why the light is not attached.
This is the reason I carry a SXS double barrel because I can hold the light and the forearm at the same time and get off two shots. I know, I've had to do it.
I've also tried to work the slide when using the light, I personally cannot do it.
My home defense shotgun is a 12 ga pump. It does not have a light. Remember, just like tracers, lights work both ways.
We have a mercury vapor streetlight on a telphone pole out by my shop that provides enough ambient light inside the house I do not need a weapon mounted light.
What y'all could do is leave a low wattage light on in the living room at night that would backlight any intruder.

Reactions: BigCheeseStick

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
The pistol grip is a trade off that gives a person a shorter more concealable shotgun.

The big issue with a pistol gripped shotguns is the trade off needed to get a shorter shotgun. While it's true,you do get a shorter shotgun with a pistol grip, you have to give up a point of contact to get it. Three points of contact with a firearm will always be more stable than two and more stable means more accurate.

In a home defense situation a shorter more concealable shotgun maybe yet is probably not necessary. If something shorter and more concealable is needed perhaps a handgun should be considered.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I think of home defense differently, and the weapon I choose is not as important as the tactics you use in the situation. First thing you may be at a big disadvantage since they may know where you are coming from. So the first consideration is you need to level the playing field by having some way to know where they are at any given time. So hopefully you have already set up some watch or sensors that will give you this information. In fact the major thing you may have to look outfor is being lured outside .

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have a shotgun with a flashlight mounted like yours, it is set up with a pressure switch on the slide of the shotgun so I don't have to turn the light on until I want to identify who or what I may or may not want to shoot. I shortened the barrel to 19" on the gun, but kept the stock. There is a minimum OAL for shotguns, I do not remember exactly what it is, but you can have an 18 1/2" barrel and still be charged with a felony if the gun is not long enough over all.

Just looked it up, if your shotgun is under 26" over all length you can be charged with a felony unless you have the tax stamp.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
You're always missing something. Home defense is nothing but defense of the homestead and that opens up covering different possible areas same as defending a hill or a bunker. No one weapon is good for everything, just like no one screwdriver can fix everything. You need a toolbox that you can reach in and grab the right tool for the job when you need it.
Well put,
And a stock on that shot gun pistol grips are worthless, except in movies.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I guess the first thing I would want to know, . . . have you actually went out in your yard, . . . set up a scenario that would mimic the interior or your house, . . . and tried to maneuver and shoot that thing? Betcha haven't !!!!

When you do, . . . you'll find that the recoil and report will make you wish you had something much more manageable, . . . which is one with a stock, . . . a battle rifle, . . . or a handgun.

Then we move on to clearing a room, . . . good luck doing it yourself. Professionals hate doing it at all, . . . and doing it alone is a recipe for a short, soon to be done funeral with your name on it. Stay put, . . . with a stocked shotgun, . . . or MBR, . . . they'll come to you, . . . then you'll have the advantage.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Ok,, Here we go,, I know this may sound a little Red Neckish,,,, I have a hat with a light in it.
I can see the target and just enough light to see the barrel and bead on the shotgun.

Good for checking on the chickens

·
Administrator
15,411 Posts
An added advantage are dogs inside the house. They will let you know if someone's trying to come in. And unless you live in an area where there are often people close to your door they will let you know if anyone is even near. Unless they have become desensitized by too many comings and goings.

Reactions: indie

·
Super Moderator
9,178 Posts
Unless I'm in a SFTH situation, I'm not leaving the room to search for a perp. The flashlight lets him know I'm coming. I'll call the LEOs and wait for the perp to come into my room and then watch him exit the room very quickly and a little bit heavier.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
The Mossberg 500 is what sits beside my bed as well. I tossed the pistol grip in the drawer and kept the full stock on it. I put a surefire G2 on mine.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts