Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has experiance with home canning meats? With the high price of freeze dried products I was thinking of home canning as a alternative. If someone has some tips or hints I would appreciate it...

Thanks

·
Registered
369 Posts
Canning meat needs a pressure canner. I have canned hot dogs, Italian sausage, and chili with ground beef. I am waiting for the holidays to come to pick up meat at better sales. I use the Ball's Blue Book for canning tips and also Katzcradul on youtube has awesome canning videos. I have some breakfast sausage I am going to can this weekend, by a different method without a pressure canner.

·
Registered
369 Posts
It is recommended that you cook it for at least 10 minutes before eating. The flavor is there, but the texture definitely changes. I want to experiment with some different techniques and meats to see which comes out best.

·
Registered
369 Posts
We tried some of the hot dogs I canned in April. The flavor was fine. No one got sick ::clapping::. The texture was not great, but they were OK on a bun. I figure when SHTF food is food. We can at least use them for snacks for the dogs.

Reactions: Robin

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone,

We have been canning alot of veggies so far. When we see something on sale I think we will give canning meat a try. I have two pressure canners that we can use at the same time, so it should work out pretty good..

·
Registered
481 Posts
My pressure canner just arrived in the mail yesterday; although I've decided to do some basic water bath canning before I embark on canning meat. I plan to work my way up to it. I think I'll start with some jam, maybe do some green beans, applesauce, tomato sauce and then meat.

I'm just waiting to find a good deal on something so I can get started :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's what I want to learn to do is stews and soups. Although, I bought a book called, "Yes, You Can" and it's got some good tips for canning chicken and roast, etc... IDK...kinda nervous about that since I'm new at it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Watercanlady, I make pork in the slow cooker a lot, and I always end up with a lot of broth. Can I can that pork in a regular water bath with out a pressure canner? If so, how much room should I leave at the top and how long should I cook the jars after putting the lids on ? If I added bbq sauce would the sugar help preserve it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Meat has to be pressure canned according to the book.. You can can most any meat or soup as long as you don't add any thickeners or pasta to soups. We have not done any canning for awhile because of family emergencies, but soon will start back asap. Its not good to leave them exrtra jars empty..

·
Registered
157 Posts
we can meat all the time and enjoy it very much. You can raw pack; fill your jars with raw meat pieces, leaving 1-inch headspace & no liquid or you can hot pack; pre cook by boiling, or frying. Pack hot meat loosely leaving 1-inch headspace covering meat with boiling hot broth or water. We've stored our canned meats & used them 2 yrs after the date we wrote on the seals. Still tasted good and felt no difference afterwards. We just made up a batch (24 jars) of hash, corned beef hash (12 jar) & corned venison hash (12 jars).

We can mainly meats and dehydrate our vegetables from the garden.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts