Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Anyone familiar with Hi-point firearms. I understand they are cheap guns and you get what you pay for. but i have been reading and watching reviews online and people seem to have mix feelings on them. I was hoping for some feedback from my fellow preppers.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Pros: They are American made and have a lifetime guarantee. They usually work with fair accuracy.

Cons: Mostly plastic and are the size of most boat anchors. Usually broken when they are disassembled and attempted assembly for cleaning.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I've got a fair amount of experience with their pistols and carbines. There some of the worst quality made firearms around in my opinion and I personally would never stake my life on one. There's much better quality out there for just a little more. It's worth saving up for something of better quality as far as I'm concerned. It's your life though. Ruger's for instance aren't that much more and are a gun you can stake your life on running every time and being there for you. If you look around your local shops I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a nice used P94 or P95 for under $300. There a tank of a pistol, built to last. There's always new though like the SR9's.

Buy Ruger Centerfire Pistols for Sale, 9mm .40S&W, .45ACP and more

·
Registered
24,403 Posts
I have two .45 pistols made by Hi-Point. I can't even begin to explain why I bought them. I've also adopted the ugliest dog in the pound, before. That may be a clue as to those two purchases.

My experiences with them? I pull the trigger and they hit center mass. Every single time. I'd rather try to conceal-carry the engine off of my lawn mower, but they are just fine for leaving around the house, to me.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
High Point guns serve a purpose, use them for that purpose. They aren't sold as target weapons, you are buying an inexpensive gun, so plan on that if you get one. People CC AK pistols and such, you can CC a High Point. Getting shot by a .45 High Point is just as bad as a $1000 Kimber .45...

Ugly, yes, but do you really care what it looks like if it does the job. They all look ugly from the wrong end pointed at you!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The nice thing about hi-point is they will warranty them for anything, even cleaning, and you can always buy about 4-5 of them for the same price as a good 1911 and have plenty of spare parts if SHTF and the warranty is no longer available. I think my Ruger MKII is at least as hard to disassemble and put back together as a hi-point. Also if you can get past the trigger pull the fixed barrel design of the hi-point is almost always more accurate than a locked breech/moving barrel design.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
First gun my wife bought was a High Point .380. Two weeks later she got her CC permit and scored highest in the class for shooting score with her High Point and it never failed to go bang. True she now carries a Ruger, but that was only because of the weight!

Yes, she is a better shot than me, most women that take up shooting end up quite good shots, must be in the genes....

·
Registered
69 Posts
My husband has a Hi-Point 9. He actually likes his...never fails. Yes it's cheap (I poke fun at him sometimes about it), but we both actually enjoy shooting it. The companies goal was to make pistols under $200-$300. They are affordable but NEVER fire Winchester rounds outta one! I forgot for sure, but I'm almost positive the Winchester rounds are a slightly larger size than normal and Hi-Points have a problem shooting them. My husband thought something was wrong with his gun until a dealer told us the real problem. Other than that, he's had the gun for a few years and never had a problem with his.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Around my area I can buy a High Point from $129 for a .380 to $159 for a .45, not bad for what they are.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
They make really nice truck guns. Throw one in the console or glove box with a couple mags and forget about it. Just like a Ruger.

Carry gun I'd look at a Kahr CW45 or CW9. $350 bucks, nice small,easily concealed, accurate and cheap IMO.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I looked at them before I bought my Springfield xd9. I will probably buy one in. 45 after the newness of the xd wears off. Everyone I know that owns one loves it.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
My experience is that is like others, it is like buying a watch. You can spend 5 grand on a watch, and you can spend 5 dollars. They both keep time. I have shot A H.P., I havent baught one yet, but I would if I wanted to. Would I stake my life on it? unknown?
There is a guy at the flea market here, everytime I have been there, he has a HI Point 45, no paperwork, private sell, $350. I suspect he sells one, buys another at the Big R store, and pockets about $100 everytime he does so.
I hadn't heard that they had that lifetime guarantee, so hell, Made in America? with a lifetime guarantee? and I have knowledge of a certain moderator that absolutley loves his HI Point, so I may pick one up, but not after I get a new rifle or muzzle loader.
Just my 02 cents.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I had a .45 that had about 500 near flawless rounds through it, and a 9mm that has about 30-40 rounds through it with at least 1/3 of the rounds having an issue. (the 9mm is SO bad that I can't even bring myself to sell it... yes, THAT bad.)

I think they can be very hit and miss, but if it is all you can afford... and you want to carry it daily - buy something else(even if it is all you can afford). If you want something to keep in a car/truck or as a JIC backup you might be their target customer, just make sure to test it out.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
After Mosin's, Hi-Point is next on my favorite list. They're ugly, though I really dig the whole "planet of the apes" look on the carbines, but they're affordable, dependable and have the best warranty in the industry. Hi-Point's single biggest fault are gun snobs.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Tackle Box gun...

Reactions: Renec and Slippy

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I'm not going to lie. I'm a snob. I think they're the ugliest damn things on the planet, pretty much the only gun uglier than a Glock.

I like my Sig's, and when it comes to tupperware I like my Springfield. Sorry. :(

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Yup I'm a snob. I see an add for Hi point on sale and I think, "Why not for a trunk gun." I head down to the store pick one up and pull the nasty looking/sounding slide back while gripping the plastic grips, heft it up to get a sight picture and start laughing out loud. I apologize to the sales staff and I leave.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
My best friend thought for years his High Point was an ok pistol. I told him while breaking it down with him the points of quality and how the gun was made. It took him years later after lots of high end training and firearms experience to see what I was talking about and come to terms on it. It's now a truck gun for him too and he says he can at least throw it at someone if it doesn't blow up in his hand when it goes.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I have two .45 pistols made by Hi-Point. I can't even begin to explain why I bought them. I've also adopted the ugliest dog in the pound, before. That may be a clue as to those two purchases.

My experiences with them? I pull the trigger and they hit center mass. Every single time. I'd rather try to conceal-carry the engine off of my lawn mower, but they are just fine for leaving around the house, to me.
I have one as a truck gun and it has always shot true. Though they are right it's almost all plastic and heavy as hell

1 - 20 of 85 Posts