Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone - I just joined a few days ago and thought I'd say hello. I've only just started prepping, I live w my husband and dogs - he's got a lot of survival skills but I'd really like to expand upon some tools for myself, being female and want to learn things like better growing (food) how to shoot straight, if at all, things like that. You just never know. I've been reading about different ideas / methods of preparedness for a few years now, and I think it's definitely time to be smart and at the least, much more self-sufficient. LA is a nice enough place to live, although I'd love to move to Kentucky or Tennessee where it's a little more green and not too cold. I don't so much see LA as the wisest place to live for many reasons... anyway, this is a great board and I've seen some really cool insights already. Keep posting, it's helping us newbies! I'm also open to suggestions from any of the more seasoned veterans. Or anyone, really. Thanks -

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Hey everyone - I just joined a few days ago and thought I'd say hello. I've only just started prepping, I live w my husband and dogs - he's got a lot of survival skills but I'd really like to expand upon some tools for myself, being female and want to learn things like better growing (food) how to shoot straight, if at all, things like that. You just never know. I've been reading about different ideas / methods of preparedness for a few years now, and I think it's definitely time to be smart and at the least, much more self-sufficient. LA is a nice enough place to live, although I'd love to move to Kentucky or Tennessee where it's a little more green and not too cold. I don't so much see LA as the wisest place to live for many reasons... anyway, this is a great board and I've seen some really cool insights already. Keep posting, it's helping us newbies! I'm also open to suggestions from any of the more seasoned veterans. Or anyone, really. Thanks -
Well GA may be far from home, as far as it gets, but the weather here is like heaven most of the year and mild as a pastor. Green? Don't get much greener than GA / AL / NC / SC

·
Registered
24,399 Posts
Welcome, from the other L.A.
This L.A. is close to the Gulf of Mexico. That used to be pretty nice, before the water got tainted with Corexit. Color me paranoid if you'd like, but I'm pretty sure the water still isn't right.
Still, we have a lot of green a lot of water sources, a lot of critters and a lot of people who just naturally think it is a good idea to be ready - for anything.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It does get cold here in Kentucky, but only a few weeks out of the year that are really bad. Seems like last year there were no cold days (wonder why, ice cap cough cough).

·
Registered
466 Posts
Living in L.A. Even when I was a kid, half centry ago plus a few years, we called L.A. :" Land of the crazy and ill begotten" LOL You do need to shop around for a better place to live. But nothing in the north east either. Could be even worse. Look for someplace that will support vegie growing, farming with livestock and small towns. I would rather be there getting settled in with the rural neighbors then trying at the last moment to get out of the LA area. It actually would not be possible in any kind of emergancy to get out of there, just look at any normal day comute traffic. Smallest problem and it turns into the biggest parking lot in the world.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Living in L.A. Even when I was a kid, half centry ago plus a few years, we called L.A. :" Land of the crazy and ill begotten" LOL You do need to shop around for a better place to live. But nothing in the north east either. Could be even worse. Look for someplace that will support vegie growing, farming with livestock and small towns. I would rather be there getting settled in with the rural neighbors then trying at the last moment to get out of the LA area. It actually would not be possible in any kind of emergancy to get out of there, just look at any normal day comute traffic. Smallest problem and it turns into the biggest parking lot in the world.
You make sense Nadja, although I guess what keeps me here in LA is work...I don't know how well I'd do finding work in a state I've never lived in. I'd love to leave here, but it's a tough call. It seems like it's getting tough all over. Then again, who knows what the work situation will be like here in a year or two anyway. Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you wait until you have to get out of la when something happens, it will be too late. Also, if you decided to move to a more rural area, that will take time for you to all "fit in" Why don't you pm shotlady and talk to her about it. She is looking around to join a local group and maybe you can help each other. Safety in numbers you know. What happens if your in LA, jobs play out, and no way to pay your bills or eat ? If your in a more rural setting, you should at least be able to grow a vegie garden and maybe keep a few chickens etc. You would be able to eat.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Welcome to the forum Future V. We are saving for a Bug out location in TN, KY, or Northern GA. My wife is tired of me telling her to "come look at the cabin I just found on Realtor.com" There is at least 2 a week that I like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts