Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, this was compiled a few years back now. Some products might need updating because of availability. Let me know if there is anything that you would add to this list. I am always looking to upgrade and update my gear.

Thank you everyone,

Gary

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,878 Posts
You have quite a few duplicates in the clothing and sleeping areas.
Pretty good list, but I too am curious how you plan to carry it all.

·
Super Moderator
3,663 Posts
Wow that is an extensive list. I can see you are a detail oriented person.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Thats impressive! I think its an excellent stay-bag, you've thought of it all. But I couldn't carry it all. If the soldiers or the earth quake or the vaccine or the 5G or the zombies didn't kill me, the backpack would squish me! All that to say- thanks for the ideas!

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
Hey everyone, this was compiled a few years back now. Some products might need updating because of availability. Let me know if there is anything that you would add to this list. I am always looking to upgrade and update my gear.

Thank you everyone,

Gary
AWESOME list! Thank God I have some illegals that I pay meager wages (under the table of course!) to carry things I don't want to carry! #Keeptheborderopenslippyhasneedsyouknow!

·
Registered
97 Posts
That is a great comprehensive list of things to have in a go bag, but it does seem like the weight might be a factor. A standard load out for military packs is about 77 pounds if I remember correctly. That is fine for a young and strong 18 year old, but I sure couldn’t do it. My get home bag is 28 pounds without water and geared out for warm weather. I didn’t see any provisions for shelter, although the right kind of rain poncho can be made into a makeshift shelter. I also didn’t see ammo. I guess

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good points about the weight factor. I just got back from a backpacking trip (the usual stuff, not prepper-focused), and even with all the lightweight gear it was a bitch to carry the pack for as many miles as we did (10 each day). My thinking is that:

A) literally everything we'd own would be with us, and everything we'd possibly need for survival, so taking less than the bare minimum needed in order to make it easier to haul could mean our deaths. TLDR: staying alive is more important than avoiding pain.

B) Unlike a regular backpacking trip, going a pre-set distance per day isn't the goal. Most of the time - as long as we have access to water and good hiding spots to sleep and forage in - we wouldn't need to travel very far each day. And it would generally make more sense to set up camp for a while in different spots in order to set traps & fishing lines, smoke & dry meat, etc. Food takes up 80-90% of the focus in wilderness survival.

C) Our bodies would pretty quickly get whipped into shape from their current soft, pampered state in actual bug-out scenario. The first month or so would be excruciating, but we'd get stronger pretty quickly.

And D) Not everything needs to be carried on our backs. We have a fat tire bike with an extended frame that we'd use if at all possible, some things could be cached to be picked up later (like winter clothing in the summertime, if we were diligent enough to do that), some things can be put in pockets and strapped to the waist, and some things can be carried in the hand (like a small duffel we have that holds all our medical supplies).

I'd love to hear your all thoughts on this!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts