Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thing is in decent shape but the cartridge brass gets jammed in the mechanism and it fails to eject nearly every time. I suppose I should take it apart again but I think that spring in there for the ejector has gone bad or something. I asked the local gun shop and they blew me off saying they don't take them and it would cost more to fix than to buy a new one. I don't care, I want my marlin tip top by squirrel season. Any of you know what's up with buying a new spring or set of springs? I'm pretty sure I can fix it if its just limp springs. I am getting the run around from a lot of gun stores and parts sites.

·
Administrator
14,856 Posts
Leon, my model 60 is picky about ammo, with Remington mine does the same as yours. Have you tried Winchester Super X or CCI Mini Mags?
Also, I find mine builds up a lot of unburned powder and assorted debris around the bolt and trigger group. Do you know how to remove your trigger group from the reciever (as a unit) to clean it? And I found if I get too carried away with liubricant on the bolt it just attracts even more crud.
Try: (a) different ammo, (b) cleaning it real well, especially under the extractor where the rim of the cartridge goes and the cut out on the face of the chamber where the extractor fits when the bolt is fully closed.
I try to do the easy things first before getting involved with replacing parts, sometimes it works.

Reactions: Leon

·
Registered
238 Posts
Take it to a local gun smith

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
also get yer feed ramp polished. it helped with my walther ppks. kept stove piping and ftf.
but i took my shit to a gun smith

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leon, my model 60 is picky about ammo, with Remington mine does the same as yours. Have you tried Winchester Super X or CCI Mini Mags?
Also, I find mine builds up a lot of unburned powder and assorted debris around the bolt and trigger group. Do you know how to remove your trigger group from the reciever (as a unit) to clean it? And I found if I get too carried away with liubricant on the bolt it just attracts even more crud.
Try: (a) different ammo, (b) cleaning it real well, especially under the extractor where the rim of the cartridge goes and the cut out on the face of the chamber where the extractor fits when the bolt is fully closed.
I try to do the easy things first before getting involved with replacing parts, sometimes it works.
Um I have read this before, if that's the case I am embarrassed because I have only ever run Remington ammo through it. Yes I have taken it down and cleaned it with boiling water and the three stage clean but yeah...only every tried rem ammo. Time to check out some win. Man now that I'm thinking about it I feel pretty green, I never ONCE shot any other type of ammo than REM. This thing is well cleaned and I just drew a blank, read some things and took it all apart but never once thought to try a different brand. Going to grab a box of win and see how it goes. Is it a gas pressure issue or what?

·
Administrator
14,856 Posts
The thing I have found with Remington ammo (except for the hyper velocity Viper) is the power level seems to be inconsistant. Even within the same box. This may be why some rounds fail to fully eject.
Also, if the extractor is not getting a full grip on the rim, the pressure of firing will knock the cartridge backwards but the bolt will not pull it far enough to fuly interact with the ejector. The little notch in the breech face is often overlooked in cleaning, sometimes a pointed instrument is needed to get the burned crud out.
I'm a big 22 rimfire fan, and the best site on the web for all things rimfire is Rimfire Central. RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community!
Check them out, there are some very knowledgeable people over there.

·
Registered
7,936 Posts
My rimfires don't like any Remmy garbage, Win Wildcats suck also.The best bang for your buck is the CCI Blazer, same ballistics as the CCI Mini-Mag without the copper plating on the bullet.

Make sure to get the Blazer made by CCI, some is made by Federal since both are owned by ATK. CCI lot numbers start with a letter IIRC. If any doubt call the friendly tech at CCI

In the spring the Blazers were 2 - 525 round bulk boxes for $30 with internet coupon, last month they were 2 for $17 and I still bought a few more.Even though my Nat Geo prepper test said 1 gun and 33 rounds of ammo and no genny.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com

The above link won't load for me, and it's bookmarked.:shock:

·
Administrator
14,856 Posts

·
Administrator
14,856 Posts
It must have been too early for my brain to function correctly
In my case I find it's a function of age and amount of coffee consumed (or lack thereof).:shock:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts