Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have an issue, but 1st a little on myself. I've been an out doors kind of person since I was a kid and was a Boy Scout for years. When I was younger I enjoyed camping and bushcraft. I took the Boy Scout moto, of being prepared, very seriously, and have always maintained some level of preparedness. Well now that I'm getting older and wiser :roll: I find myself thinking about being prepared for bigger emergencies, and longer periods, than previously. I am the kind of person that would like to be prepared for 90 days. I believe that is a very real and easy number to chew on. Here is my issue. My wife. I love her to death but she lives in this little bubble of work and social media, and nothing outside the bubble is really that important. She see's things at extremes, If I mention not being prepared for something she rolls her eyes and gives me a look like "you are crazy, we are not building a bunker." When I bring up something like water, she says we have plenty. Water is a perfect example. We get Poland Spring delivered to the house, 20 gallons (4 bottles) every month. At one time I had 45 bottles (225 gallons) on hand at all times. Well when she realized that, she cut our order now I'm down to, with today's delivery, 7 unopened bottles of water. When I say we should pick up some more first aid supplies, she laughs and says next time we go to the store you can buy a box of band-aids. I'm gonna loose my mind soon. Has any one else dealt with this before? I'm sure someone has? Any advice?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
She is the kind of person I am usually bitchin about. As long as they have their iphone,frappecappachino,cell phone attatched to their ear and goes to Facebook for EVERYTHING! That is all their world consists of and they are happy with that. If I were you, aside for looking for a new woman..lol I would be putting some things back. Whether she likes it or not. To go and cancel the water like that would drive me nuts. Start putting things back and explain to her that it is in case of emergency. Look at Katrina and Sandy. Those people probably thought it couldn't happen to them either. If she doesn't want to start bending your way a little. I might start "prepping" for something else...

·
Registered
900 Posts
some times it is hard for people to understand unless they have experienced something like the severe storms, hurricanes and so on. What about if you lost your job and had no income coming in? the average at getting another is now 18 months. how would you pay the bills?

sometimes living without gives us a jump start that will get us thinking clearly about things. Can you fake the power going out due to a "storm" and leave it off over the weekend and ruff it for a couple days? come home and tell her you got fired from your job. Take all the money out of your bank account and act like someone stole your bank info and took all your reserve savings and you have bills to pay..... better yet have multiple things happen over the course of a few days and make it really bad cause sometimes that's what get us. Those roller coaster rides are hard to recover from..

·
Banned
1,972 Posts
With women, it's a presentation issue. As fate would have it, I was once married to a woman like you describe. Then, by a quirk of fate, I came into contact with a 2 year old boy as a client. We took him and tried to adopt him, In the process, DFACS made my wife and I take classes.

Lo and behold, the classes included networking, having an Evacuation / Rendezvous Plan, a phone tree, Bug Out Bag and a lot of other things related to survival. So, maybe if you start with a survival mindset and slowly work on your wife, it might eventually wake her up. For instance:

A tragedy (and one WILL be reported this time of year) will have a house fire along with possible deaths. Play on that emotion and talk to your wife about how tragic it was. That should help you when you tell your wife that you need an Evacuation and Rendezvous Plan ... in case of fire, hurricane, tornadoes, etc. From there, building a simple Bug Out Bag for emergencies should not be too much of a stretch. My Bug Out Bag is a constant friend. When my current wife and I want to do a week-end, I'm ready at a moment's notice. So is she after she saw the advantage. She has her own Bug Out Bag, not even realizing how it got started.

Everybody likes a little security. Deadbolt locks may impress your wife and after you have done the obvious to make your home secure, you may want to tout the advantages of a firearm and training. Never say prepper or anything like that. Keep your books hidden. Just look for things that your wife WILL support... you know, like a CPR class. Maybe you could con her into stocking some food on the pretext that you're buying in bulk and saving big bucks on your groceries. Just be prepared to document it (which should not be too hard.)

It takes baby steps brother.

·
Super Moderator
9,216 Posts
All I can do is say a prayer for you. My wife was at least somewhat tolerant and I kept a lot hidden from her until a few years ago. She saw the light and even wanted to learn to shoot and wanted her own gun.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
My wife knows I'm into prepping and all thing survival, and I think she humors me or at least finds some humor in it.

One of the thing I've found that reinforces the positive aspects of prepping is being able to demonstrate in real time the benefits of being prepared.

The lights go out have the alternative lighting up and ready to go before she can complain. Don't forget to work it into the conversation you'd bought the cute candle lanterns (or what ever it is) for just this situation. One example there are a myriad of little way prepping can be show as beneficial. Without being obvious about it.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Maybe just try to use an analogy. For example, I am working from home this week. Being a computer nerd, I NEED an internet connection to do what my clients pay me to do. If I am offline, I cannot make any money. Therefore, in my house I have a hardwired connection through a high-speed ISP. But I also spend the $50 per month to have a dedicated wireless connection through my cell phone provider even though I hardly ever use it. I doubt anybody would think twice if I told them I have a redundant internet connection because I make my living with it.

Is it really that much different than having redundant food sources or redundant water sources, extra first aid supplies or the ability to make a few of the tools you use around the house yourself? Throw in a few guns and regularly practice using your guns and redundant sources and you're instantly a prepper. When you look at from that perspective, it is not outrageous at all.

Plus, it's fun!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
If she likes to read, try getting some of the less gruesome shtf books. Tell her that stocking up is your hobby. Then stock up and ignore the criticism. When even a small crisis occurs you can bring out that first aid stuff or water or tp or whatever. If she isn't into books maybe a dvd. Buy the books you want to read and leave them laying around. Buy in bulk and show her how much you save over time.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
That's easy enough for you to say, you're married to super woman. If you made her too mad and tried to run, she could still pick you off at 500 yards.
If can make it 50 yards I am safe. She is way nearsighted. But that first 50 yards would be a cast iron bitch.

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
My wife doesn't shoot. I've taken her a few times, that's it. BUT she does know the combo to my safe. She is normally peace loving until I push the right button. Then her temper kicks in. I can only hope she's too mad to remember.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
My wife doesn't shoot. I've taken her a few times, that's it. BUT she does know the combo to my safe. She is normally peace loving until I push the right button. Then her temper kicks in. I can only hope she's too mad to remember.
I hear that pal. My wife has always been pretty easy going. But our oldest daughter decided that Mrs Inor was a target when she was a teenager. Holy smokes! I definitely would not want that level of rage directed at me when Mrs Inor finally snapped! :) I do piss Mrs Inor off on a regular basis; as Meangreen would say: "Hello? It's me." But I ALWAYS make sure to dial it back before I cross the line. :)

Reactions: inceptor

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
I hear that pal. My wife has always been pretty easy going. But our oldest daughter decided that Mrs Inor was a target when she was a teenager. Holy smokes! I definitely would not want that level of rage directed at me when Mrs Inor finally snapped! :) I do piss Mrs Inor off on a regular basis; as Meangreen would say: "Hello? It's me." But I ALWAYS make sure to dial it back before I cross the line. :)
See, I always thought that was part of the marriage contract "Thou shall piss off thy spouse" Seems like they have it down to a science, ya know? (BTW, I'm safe my wife doesn't even like boards :lol:)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Take her to New Orleans and show her the devastation that hit there or better yet take her to okla after a tornado wipes out a small city (I used to live there) or new jersey after sandy hit that might wake her up I've lived through Tornadoes, Ice Storms, Floods, Droughts Hurricanes and 100,000 acre brush fires and thats just in just 2 states Texas and Okla

Reactions: dwight55

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the replies and food for thought. Firearms aren't a problem. My wife actually enjoys shooting and even though I can only drag her to the range once or twice a year she really doesn't need anymore trigger time, lol. She is really accurate with a good 9mm handgun like the Ruger SR9c I once owned and she's even better with my FNX-9. She has a mental block with revolvers though and just out right refuses to shoot them. But she'll shoot my M&P45 like she's fired in 1000 times. The crazy thing is we lost power for a week with Sandy, a week with Irene, and she still doesn't get it. Part of that may be due to the fact that we still had water and still had gas to cook on. It wasn't cold out so not having heat wasn't a issue but if that happened this time of year that might change things. Oh, did I mention she lived in Texas for a good chunk of her childhood and has seen up close and personal what a tornado can do, and still doesn't get it.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Thanks for the replies and food for thought. Firearms aren't a problem. My wife actually enjoys shooting and even though I can only drag her to the range once or twice a year she really doesn't need anymore trigger time, lol. She is really accurate with a good 9mm handgun like the Ruger SR9c I once owned and she's even better with my FNX-9. She has a mental block with revolvers though and just out right refuses to shoot them. But she'll shoot my M&P45 like she's fired in 1000 times. The crazy thing is we lost power for a week with Sandy, a week with Irene, and she still doesn't get it. Part of that may be due to the fact that we still had water and still had gas to cook on. It wasn't cold out so not having heat wasn't a issue but if that happened this time of year that might change things. Oh, did I mention she lived in Texas for a good chunk of her childhood and has seen up close and personal what a tornado can do, and still doesn't get it.
Keep the soft pressure on and she will come around eventually. It may take a while so do not get pushy. But if she is a Texas gal, it will happen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One way to get her in to the game is to scare the living hesus out of her, run a scenario in your car grab water , food what you need, a tent . go on the road and"brake down" in a forest with lots of noises, make sure that her phone is discharged, yours too( pretend, keep it charged) then let her in the car and go and search for help, hide in some bushes and scare her, make noises etc, let her feel the need for food and water, when she is scared good come out and give her water food and rescue her, the reality will make her come to her senses and her priorities will change, you cand then say to her, that is the mining of being a prepper. Beter scare her neaw then having to face a real danger, trust me even if you love her , if something happens and you are not ready because of her you will brake her head. You are a man , act like one!.Sorry if i seam harsh but these is no joking matter

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do, . . . and however things work out, . . . well, . . . that's what works out.

Almost 20 years ago we lived in a small 2 bedroom house on a 60 x 100 lot in an older subdivision, . . . putting up with the "urban" problems.

I personally decided it would be better for my wife, my son and I if we moved. I started looking, . . . found something, . . . bought it, . . . and we moved.

It was not received well by the other two, . . . they wanted stay in town. We moved anyway.

Long story short, . . . I now have a real nice place out in the country, . . . my son graduated as a nurse practitioner (his wife is also one), . . . and now my wife is content out here in the boonies.

The moral, . . . just do what you know to be needed, . . . (that is what your wife thinks she is doing), . . . and when she gets all out of sorts about it, . . . just let her rant, then go on doing what you know is needed.

Quite honestly, . . . the worst thing that could happen is she would walk, . . . and if she walks over your prepping, . . . perhaps she is doing you a big favor.

The other side of that coin is "do you love her enough to allow her silliness to get both of you killed off early?"

May God bless,
Dwight

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.