Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
With the totes stacked, it puts it higher then the toilets and faucets. If nothing else it'll provide water to the toilets.

Then with the barrels stacked against the shed, that's 440 gallons for the garden/trees versus 330. Plus that'll give me water for inside, and water for outside. The totes will be the first filled. If by chance I can get a couple more totes, then the stacked barrels will be replaced by totes.

My only only concern is, stacked, you can see the totes from the street behind me. If you look, you can see them. I'm just going to trim the bougenvalia to hide the tanks. My fear is someone taking them out in a SHTF situation. I have a spot I can put them more concealed, but its farther from the drip irrigation. Which is the MAIN reason for collecting rainwater.

Also forgot to mention. With the totes stacked, I can t off and run water to the elevated deck where I also have stuff growing on drip irrigation.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
It looks like some sort of vine would climb your totes and hide them.

Reactions: kevincali

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Trying to filter the water coming off the roof you are going to have problems as filtering slows down the water so much. Screening it from debris works though. You have to have containers to catch the rain in. Then filter that water into clean holding containers. Absolutely no reason I know of to filter water used for gardening or toilet. So you need more space for the collected rain water then you do for filtered water.
You will want two output from collected rain water. One to filters & storage containers for potable water. Separate output for water for irrigation & toilet.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I think he said his irrigation system uses drip emitters, which would clog unless the water is filtered.
Yeah the drip emitters are finicky.

I think I am just going to do it how it's set up now. Just a screen filter over the gutter I put up, then a finer filter above the tanks. Not trying for pure drinking quality, just removal of big debris and sediment. Which is why I figured I'd have the overflow into the set of 8 for the irrigation. Sediment shouldn't be able to float above the overflow. It should theoretically(?) settle to the bottom tank. Then once in a while, open the valve to flush out, just like a water heater.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
So you want the water for the drip emitters filtered but don't need purified. Large inline fuel filter might do it. They can be back flushed to clean & reused.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Ok. Went to Home Depot and got a few things. Picked up 3" sewer line/water line. It's perforated for water. Picked up the sleeve that goes over it. Put the sleeve inside and outside of the pipe. It's a type of mesh, and should take care of sediment. Got an adapter to go from the square gutter to the round pipe. Put screen in it to catch the bigger stuff.

Had to unstack the totes. The angle for the downspout was un achievable. Not with current production pieces. I could use flex ducting, but unsure if the ridges would catch or grow mold or mildew.

Here is where I wanted to put them. Added the gutter, but while up there, had a clear view of the neighbors behind me. That means they could see the totes too Sky Building Wood Shade Window

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
So the square footage of that piece of roof is only 150' square. So no go there for the large totes. I decided to unstack the totes, put them side by side and connect them. One is the input, and the other has the vent. Should work well. Wood Tree Fixture Composite material Gas

Here's the piece I used to go from the square to round for the tank fill.

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Gas Audio equipment

Here's the piece to go from 2" to 3/4". I go it because its tapered. The first set I got wasn't tapered, and looked like it would cause flow problems.
Drinkware Gas Drink Cup Circle

And finally my hose connected to my drip system. It's hooked up permanently here now. I've got to reroute the other end of the hose where it hooks to the drip system.
Line Gas Hose Electrical wiring Cable

So I'm semi officially watering by rain water. Only thing missing is rain :D

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Ok. Couple things I haven't done.

First flush. Can't find one ill be happy with. I see the ones with the slow drip on the bottom. Not sure I want that, INCASE it clogs with junk. For now, I'm hoping the screen in the fill spout and the mesh in the tube, will suffice.

Overflow. The totes stick up higher than the blue barrels. Push come to shove, a hose hooked to the spigot, and the other in a barrel will work.

Haven't built the barrel stand yet. Have 2 more barrels to get. But it'll be a few days.

Have gutters to put up around another part of the house though. I have the stuff. Just need to do it. Although, it's supposed to rain tomorrow. No rush :D

Ever expanding. Ever growing.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
So you want the water for the drip emitters filtered but don't need purified. Large inline fuel filter might do it. They can be back flushed to clean & reused.
I picked up a screen filter for the drip irrigation system I have. It's a screen, and can be removed and cleaned. It was only $6 lol

But yeah. Gonna get an outside filter source. Like a ceramic filter. I am just trying to get the water going IN as clean as possible. Incase I had to drink it ;)

I'm not entirely happy with my setup. Not until I get more gutter up, and more barrels, and more more more hahaha

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
If there is Nuclear fall out - I don't think you would want to be messing around with rain-water..

You ought to invest in some type of pump or a well or locate your camp close to a pure water source.

I see this stuff on tv all the time and I wonder where these peoples brains are?
I'm so close to a nuclear plant (~50 miles) if there's a meltdown I'm screwed anyways. Even if I have radiation free water, my plants will be radiated also. And if I'm outside when it happens, I'm dead too.

I am wanting to install a 1500 gallon cistern. In the future though :)

Of course the cistern will be underground :)

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
Here are some tips.. TARP... posts... hang tarp from posts.. have hole in tarp here is a diagram Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Diagram

note that your leaves may be edible... know your trees.. leaf contamination does matter when it comes to water collection.. some leaves are tasty after soaking, others will taint your water and make it lethal.

it will need to be wind sheilded.. also for people with shingle DO NOT I repeat DO NOT use roof runoff for drinking water.

note acrylics plastics will effect chemical composition for long term use and increase cancer risk and estrogen levels... consider using santized animal hide... or mud. if possible mud is healthy believe it or not if sanitized first. eg. clay. has natural b12 in it.

in many cases if you don't have a meat source in SHTF include dirt in your diet.. food for thought. just make sure it is not from a contaminated lawn ex. nasty pesticides.

learn the chemical history of your area.. learn your soil makeup including minerals nutrients, bacterial and "critters" in your soil.

check any dirt you plan on eating for rocks, considering filtering. but keep the bacteria and minerals, they are free health savers.. especially if you don't have multivitamins in your bob, and they could help fill your hungry tummy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-dirt-good-stomach--act-shield-stomach.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geophagy

note an old tent tied up the right way upside down can do a good job because its to is often screen you just need to open it up you could optionally cut the bottom off to use as a tarp for a leanto tarp while using the top to funnel your water into a catchment.

None the less ruining a perfectly good tent probably is not required but if you happen to really need water and have only one catchment and limited rain.. well.. you could even put the barrel in the tent if you can get it to fit right.. it all depends on your tent.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Glad someone bumped this thread. I've been searching for it, but I updated tapatalk and everything is harder to navigate.

So its been a few months. It's rained a few times and the collection system works great. Pressure is awesome. It uses a tad bit more water than I anticipated. I removed the pressure valve on the drip system so I could use the last bit of water in the totes, and in turn it flows freely. But if I keep a watch on it, it's fine. Just gotta time it.

I am officially off grid, irrigation water wise.

Oh, the barrels fill slower than the totes because they are on a smaller portion of roof. Pressure is great from them also. I have used the barrels to water the yard (switching the hose from totes to barrels).

No complaints, except it NEEDA TO RAIN haha

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Primary is 5gal buckets. Colander with pillow case filter & doulton filters. Backup is a doulton 2.5gal ceramic filter system. No reason to filter all the water since some would be used for toilet & such.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
We have a large catchment system for nearly all the roof areas of our house and barn. We use large dark green tanks of 1500 - 2500 gallons, with 10,000 gallons of total storage capacity. I am building a new hay barn and will put a 3,000 tank on that one. So here is the real issue - what is your annual rainfall? If you live in an arid place like I do (last year we only got 6 inches of rain at our place!!!!), a large catchment is needed, as we only get rain during two times of the year, and that is the only opportunity to fill the tanks. A rainier climate needs less containment, as the tanks will fill more often. (When I lived in Papua New Guinea, our entire household water use was supplied by a single 1,000 rain tank. But then, we got over 200 inches of rain/year, so the tank was continually filled.) Our large tanks here can fill completely with 1 inch of gently rain, and 2 inches if it is heavy and there there is a lot of splashing. It does not take a lot of rain to fill tanks if you gutter a large surface area. My tanks can potentially supply all our water needs for a year, given that they do fill twice a year (I also have livestock.)

I think it is well worth the $ to just invest in some large tanks and don't mess around with small barrels. The small ones will fill so quickly and you will wish you have something bigger.

Now the cool thing is that you can put a tank anywhere you want - it doesn't have to be under the gutter. As long as the intake at the tank is 1 inch lower that the gutter, you can run pipe down the side of the house, underground, up the side of the tank, and into the intake. Your tanks can be where ever you want them to be - to provide shade, windbreak, or to keep them in the shade, for example.

With large tanks, it is good to have a valve at the bottom of the intake pipe, so the pipe can be drained from time to time - eliminate mosquito habitat. It's good it you can screen the opening into the tank to keep out leaves, twigs, and debri.

Now this will sound disgusting, but if your tank fills frequently with frequent rainfall (unlike mine which fill only twice a year) you can actually drink the water right from the tanks. Yes, you should be sure your gutters are cleaned from time to time. Yes, birds fly over, and you will get some bacterial load, but not like drinking out of a stagnant pond. You may have intermittant loose stools from time to time, but a healthy immune system can adjust. I am a very strong advocate for safe water, but my family lived from unfiltered water tanks for many years with no ill effects. As I said, relatively speaking, it is a "clean" water source, compared to many others. You can certainly cook and bathe with it without filtering.

In my own situation, when the SHTF, I will use a biosand filter for drinking. I will then use sun power to sterilize it, or boil as a last resort if the sun isn't shining (rare event in my neck of the woods.)

Water is the most critical need to survival. 50 gallon barrels will keep a family for a couple of weeks, so anything is certainly better than nothing, which is what most people have - nothing. I really do like the fact that your system appears to be hidden behind a fence. My tanks are highly vulnerable targets, as they are visible to anyone coming onto our property. A few bullets would take out our water supply.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts