Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just went out and trimmed the bottle brush tree. Did some measuring and I can only go 3 wide, unless i don't want access to the 330. I have just a bit of walking room back there.

If my measuring is right, then I'll be a foot above the level of the shed roof. Was hoping to just have a PVC line visible to the neighbors. Man. Can't wait until morning to be able to rearrange and plan more.

One restless night :D

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Oh. How did you attach the 1/2" pipe to the barrels through the existing holes?

Is there a fitting that threads into it but with the ability to attach a 1/2" pipe?

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
You can use the largest drill bit you have then a round file to get the size hole you need. You will find the plug is threaded after you remove the center of the plug.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
A sand filter - if I understand what you want to use - will restrict the water flow severely (back it up) and it won't filter out some severe contaminates. You need to incorporate a multistage filter system or use a "cultured" system that uses biotics to remove the contaminates. (if you plan on drinking the water)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I do want it drinkable if needed. But I need to remove as much (99% or better) sediment, debris, gunk as possible because this will be the water source for my trees. I have a drip system, and don't want the emitters to clog every time I go to water.

Drinkable would be nice. Maybe I can set up a second set of barrels just for drinkable?

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
With what you are trying to set up you will not be able to purify the water between the rain gutter & the containers. The water will back up really quick. I simply use a fine mesh screen at the top of the downspout to keep leaves & such out of the barrels. As a reference, it takes about 15 minutes for my ceramic filter to process 5 gal of water. That is why I have the separate water filter system for getting potable water. Using that water for irrigation it seems to me the plants don't care if the water is filtered. Water I am catching is off a tin roof & only debris is some oak leaves & the mesh screen keeps them out of my barrels. For my drinking water, I want it freshly purified.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
You have to catch & store the water first. Then purify.

From your initial storage tanks you can use a 12VDC Shurflo water pump powered by a 12V deep cycle battery & solar charged. Two 55gal drums mounted horizontal. Pump water to the upper drum. Then water filter system between upper & lower drums.

I have my own well & pump. Commercial electric goes out I have a backup generator. Generator goes out from failure or lack of gasoline & my rain catch & storage system is my next backup. But plants sure do like that rain water so use it exclusely for the plants versus the well water. So get payback on the rain catch & storage system simply by not having to run the well pump to water plants. I figured it had cost me less then $400 to make the rain catch & storage system.

·
Super Moderator
9,166 Posts
For what it's worth. every foot of elevation above the discharge point gives you about 1/2 PSI (A 30 foot water tower =15PSI). Any water collected from roofs, etc. may be contaminated by bird droppings and needs to be purified to be potable.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for the tips guys.

I don't care if the water in the blue barrels isn't purified. I do however care that the water going into the white barrels be clean to avoid bacteria growth as much as possible. Gonna get up on the roof and sweep it off and clean the gutters to avoid a LOT of debris going in. I have no trees immediately over the gutters but do have one over a part of the roof that doesn't wash into a gutter.

So it seems I should have a separate barrel for a slow filter?

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Ceramic filters would be less hasstle I think & can be scrubbed & reused. They have activated charcoal inide them. Where you see I had one on the center of the 5gal bucket, you can actually add several speeding up the filtering process. Not sure how you would want to rig them up between the blue drums & the water totes though.
You are going to have to be able to get to the filters to clean or replace them.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Ok, so I've been looking at Berkey filters. Which one is better, the black, or the ceramic? And why?

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
You might want to look for a used pool filter that uses diatomaceous earth for use as a prefilter. This won't make it clean enough to drink, but is cheap and would be enough for your drip emitters and has a decent flow rate. As an added bonus, all of the fittings you would need would be already in place and/or easy to modify to your exact needs.

Reactions: kevincali

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
And still having a stack of barrels here. These would be 2 high by 3 wide. I'd be able to have 2 high by 4 wide next to the other shed

Building Waste container Waste containment House Tree

21 - 40 of 61 Posts