Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man biggest mistake I have made in a while...went to Academy on my way to work with the credit card. Yeah, you know how that one ended, dontcha know. I wasn't gonna buy anything was just gonna wander the fishing isle and the camping section and see what they had for grills I could use over a camp fire. Walked over by the Gun Counter. Yeah, you just knew that was gonna happen. On a whim asked if they had any 223 bolt actions...big mistake!

The Damage?

I ended up walking out of there with a brand spanking new Mossberg MVP chambered in 5.56 NATO, 26 inch heavy fluted free floated barrel, Green/Brown Laminated target type stock, 10 round factory AR type mag, Adjustable trigger, ready for a scope to be mounted. It has a 1-9 twist and will stabilize bullets as low as 50grs and as heavy as 69grs in sub MOA groups. If you thought this gun looked nice in the Magazine articles a couple of years ago...you ought to see this baby in the flesh! It only set me back 499.00 fun dollars! Guess this will be my late birthday present to my self since I slummed it this year and didn't do anything nice for myself.

Guess now I need an early Christmas present to go with it...a scope. So...what would yall recommend for shooting 100-300 yards at varmints, bad guys if need be or just for plain fun plinking at the range? Are the calibrated drop designed for AR-15 scopes for about 150 bucks or so at wally world worthy enough for this bad boy?

BTW...If your looking for a rifle in 5.56, that will also shoot 223, you really owe it to yourself to check one of these out before you make a purchase, especially if you already own a AR-15 since it will take those mags. Its a top shelf gun at a very good price point for what your getting and would be hard to top without spending much, much more for a gun!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looked at a scope I think it was by bushnel. Its a 3x12 with ballistic Drop recticle I think out to 500 meters. Cost was 189.00. Anyone have this scope or familiar with it?

·
Banned
7,967 Posts
Those have caught my eye. The MVP also comes in a shorter barrel,synthetic stock model for road patrol use.
The 26" will allow complete burn of medium burning powders to get the most out of the 22

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correction...my memory aint what it used to be apparently when I was younger...the barrel is a medium weight 24 inch barrel. Still plenty long enough to get a good complete burn on the powder charges usually used in the 5.56. Definitely take a good long hard look at them, they are very nice rifles, much nicer than the pictures I have seen and the ones on their website. It immediately stood out on the gun rack!!! It looked and felt even better once the clerk took it out and I had a chance to "caress and fondle" it. Once I did, despite not having money for stupid stuff that wasn't a necessity in the budget this pay week, I had to have it and have it right now this minute! I cant wait to get a day off one of these months and get it to the range and try several loads in it after getting a scope mounted on it. I suspect the 700 VLS in 308 is going to be taking a serious back seat to this one.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Can't wait for the Mossberg MVP in 7.62 to come out. Can use the same mags as my AR-10's.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
$499.00?????wow! wish there was an Academy here!...we got wally world,I was looking at a Windham src for $849..and a gander mtn....I will never go back there...and, a Cabelas 100 miles from me in another state.....as far as firearms go here it sucks.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
$499.00?????wow! wish there was an Academy here!...we got wally world,I was looking at a Windham src for $849..and a gander mtn....I will never go back there...and, a Cabelas 100 miles from me in another state.....as far as firearms go here it sucks.
Dothan is getting a Gander Mountain. They are bad? Clue a brother in!

·
Administrator
15,254 Posts
They put a Gander Mountian in Jacksonville 6 or 7 years ago. So, I made the one hour drive to see what it was like. I never even got to the gun department. I went to ammo first. Ouch! They were gouging before gouging was normal.
On the plus side there is no way they can mark up the gun/hunting/fishing magazines because the price is already on the cover. And they do carry a wide variety of those.
And don't forget the "designer apparel."
I don't know, maybe I'm just an old, un-hip redneck.

Reactions: Prepadoodle

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah what he said! We got a new one here too last month, haven't wasted the gas to go there yet and its just a few minutes down the road. That's not to say everything is over priced there but for the most part its Wally World, Academy then everything else if I can find it at those two. The last three guns I have bought came from Academy, Cabelas (on sale) and another store similar to Academy...cant remember the name right at the moment. That one was on sale too. 2 of those three I wasn't planning on buying, it just happened. They just happen to have what I wanted when I went in and had it on sale or at a damn good price I couldn't pass up. The credit card came out!

Academy had the MVP for 499
Cabelas had the Mosing Nagant for 119.
The other store had a Mossberg 535 Turkey gun for 199.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
I'm not a fan of BDC reticles, even though I do have one on one of my .22s.

If yer looking for a fixed power scope, it's hard to beat the SWFA SS 10X42MQ for the money. The reticle and turrets are in mils, so you can use it for range estimation. I think they also make an MOA model if you would rather work in those units.

If you are looking for a variable power scope, I wouldn't consider a second focal plane scope at all if you intend to range with it. I would probably opt for a Falcon Menace 4-14x44 Tactical, which is a good quality first focal plane scope that won't break the bank. They offer it in mil and MOA versions and several different reticles, and they come with flip up lens caps and a sun shade. I use a Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50 Tactical on my .308 bolt gun and love it.

IMHO, everyone should learn how to calculate ranges with their scope, even if they have a fancy laser rangefinder.

rem700.png

·
Registered
855 Posts
They put a Gander Mountian in Jacksonville 6 or 7 years ago. So, I made the one hour drive to see what it was like. I never even got to the gun department. I went to ammo first. Ouch! They were gouging before gouging was normal.
On the plus side there is no way they can mark up the gun/hunting/fishing magazines because the price is already on the cover. And they do carry a wide variety of those.
Yep their gun prices are kind of steep, seems most are set to MSRP and they won't deal at all. Sale prices can be better, some deals aren't too bad but never pay their retail price. Ammo prices are a little steep but around here the local dealers are worse. I did buy my Ruger Mark III at Gander but I got a good deal because I went to school with the gun dept supervisor. Gander's magazine rack is pretty good though I will give them that, quite a selection for the outdoorsman.

-Infidel

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
After reading your story, I punched myself in the face to make sure it was real...it was. Nicely Done and Merry Christmas! :grin:

Oh, and don't laugh, but ever since I bought the first one, I've equipped almost every rifle I've had since, with one; Tasco Target/Varmint Scope. Seriously. Fantastic Scope. It has a range focusing reticle that I love...turn it until your target is crisp, gives you a very good "approximate" distance. Never had any issues with any of them. And they don't break the bank.

·
Super Moderator
9,603 Posts
Gander Mountain is close by so I went to see what they had and possibly pick up a 9mm. I only have one toy gun....ooops, I mean 9mm and have thought about another one. I can promise you I won't be buying there. I'm with Lunatic, Cabela's and Academy.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you are looking for a variable power scope, I wouldn't consider a second focal plane scope at all if you intend to range with it. I would probably opt for a Falcon Menace 4-14x44 Tactical, which is a good quality first focal plane scope that won't break the bank. They offer it in mil and MOA versions and several different reticles, and they come with flip up lens caps and a sun shade. I use a Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50 Tactical on my .308 bolt gun and love it.
I would prefer a variable and I am quiet comfortable working in Mil's since I am prior military and now retired and my 308 700 VLS wears a Springfield Armory Gen III 6x18 with Mil-Dot Recticle. I was just thinking maybe I should move up into the new millenium and perhaps try one of the BCD scopes on for size since the seem to be all the rage. Thought maybe I might be missing something. Maybe I am not...

Its a 5.56 though and not a long range number, so I am kinda wanting to stay to a couple of hundred bucks or at least close to it since I don't see much in the way of opportunities to be shooting much beyond 300 yards. If I need to do that I have several other more appropriate rigs for that sort of tasking.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Fairly close to where I live they put in a Gander Mtn. a few years ago, about a year later within a 1/4 mile (same mall) a Cabelas was opened. It's amazing how much cheaper Cabelas is than Gander Mtn. (least on the stuff I look at: guns ammo...ect). Last year I bought a .308 at Cabelas, the exact same rifle was $100 more at Gander Mtn. Ammo prices? forget about it, Gander is way over priced, I swear I don't know how they stay in business. I do know I go to Cabelas then sometimes stop in at Gander Mtn. Cabelas as many times more customers each and every time I go there. I wish Gander Mtn. would stay in business here, it's nice to have variety and competition, but damn, Gander is going to have lower their prices or they are going to price themselves out of business.

·
Administrator
15,254 Posts
IMHO, everyone should learn how to calculate ranges with their scope, even if they have a fancy laser rangefinder.

View attachment 3047
Old soldiers trick for M14's or M1A's. A man standing up at 200 yards is the same height as the front sight blade. (Back in the day we only had iron sights).
It may work for M1 Garands as well, I'll have to compare the two sights.

Reactions: Prepadoodle

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Yes, Denton they are as far as I'm concerned. they are too expensive on firearms and, the one nearby us (upper penninsula of Michigan) have no ammo on the shelves,I have read you have to buy a firearm to get the "magic ammo key offer" from them and most of the people behind the firearms counter are arrogant or Idiots.I wanted a subcompact, tossup between a lc9 and a 709 and he said he would never trust a Taurus for sd!.I told him my pt92 has never failed to fire and the twerp said 'I guess you have been lucky' then,I said listen,you looking about 22-23 years old and I'm 57.how much more experience do you think you have over me?.I have primers on the bench that are older than you!....went 100 (about) miles to get the Taurus and,so far its been a little jewel. see ya at the other place brother, rich.(taurusgunner).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts