Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my GF wants my AR as her primary weapon because it's so much cooler than the Remington 870. I have learned not to argue with her about such things, besides, this means I can buy a new gun. :p

So, the Prepa-D needs new iron. Do I get a ...

S&W M&P 10
Sig 716
DPMS AR-10
RRA LAR-8

All of these are .308 win and/or 7.62 NATO. I don't want an M1, I want an AR platform. What do all y'all think?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ive heard mixed things about DPMS (value vs. quality) but I have never shot one to sway my opinion on them. However I do like smith and wesson just because I believe they put out good products and they have good customer service when it comes to helping people.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are losing a gun, so it needs to replaced. She is getting a new gun, so you get one too. There for, a new AR in 5.56 and a new bolt action in .308.
Actually, I might be selling my bolt gun. I bought the Remington 700 and built it into a long range rifle when our plans were to move to southern Colorado, where long shots are a realistic expectation. It now looks like we will be headed to Arkansas, where a hard hitting medium range rifle is probably a better choice. I kinda have my heart set on a 7.62x51 in an AR style.

Armalite is also an option, I guess.

Denton, I'm still looking into which is more reliable, that's why i posted to get some feedback! :)

Availability of mags is another concern to me, at least at the moment.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Go with Armalite
Yeah...What he said!

That aside...What other guns do you have and do you have a bolt action that uses the same ammo as your "auto loaders? I think you need to look at ammo commonality and I think you need to also consider what your gonna do with all your ammo in those calibers should the auto loaders one day not be legal to own. I mean I have several Assault Rifles and Main Battle Rifles and a considerable stash of ammo for each of them. To me it only made sense to own a bolt gun that also uses the same ammo. Nothing wrong of course in getting a gun that you want for no other reason than that's what you want. I just have a tendency to look at things from a preppers perspective and play the what if game a bit. For example...I have a few AR's and a lot of 5.56 and a lot of AR mags. To me the Mossberg MVP was the perfect compliment to my AR's since it uses the same ammo and the same mags. If for some reason I ever loose the AR's I can still make use of the ammo and mags and like I told my nephew...If I need a AR bad enough I can get me one with this gun. Just saying...

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LunaticFringeInc. I have about 600 rounds of 7.62 on hand, which is one of the reasons I am looking for a 7.62 AR platform. If I get one, the Rem 700 is more or less redundant, which isn't a bad thing, but I can't tie up money on something that's gonna collect dust right now.

We have our bases covered, I think. We have a Sig .380 and a .40 for CC, I have a .45 1911. We have 2 X Ruger 10/22s, one a takedown and a regular one. We have a Rem 870 12 gauge, a Troy 5.56 carbine, and the Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 with a tactical stock, bipod, and decent optics. We have plenty of ammo on hand for all of these.

I could just get another 5.56 AR, but I think I want something with a little more punch, yanno?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I will not buy Armalite, they could make the greatest AR in the world and I wouldn't buy it. Do some research and check out their stand after sandy hook and you might agree. They waffled it badly.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I like the Rock River rifles alot. I ended up with a Bushmaster because I got a deal on it. Our armorer at work says that Armalite, Olympic and DPMS have terrible customer service. I've owned two Bushmasters now and nary a problem from either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with the earlier comment around consolidation. Granted that for a buggin' in the more the merrier, but if I do have to bug out I have tried to consolidate ammo around 5.56, 12ga, and 9mm for simplicity. Also, if you are looking at caching, easier to do if you have consolidated your ammo needs. For more precision shooting, I have an SPR with 77gr 5.56 SMK. I have a hard time seeing a need for precision out past what I can touch with this rifle. This also allows me to stock more ammo in fewer calibers....and with the military and police using these rounds prolifically...hopefully it will be the easiest to find.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Have you considered looking at the FNH SCAR 17S? It's a great rifle chambered in .308 Win. Out of the ones you have listed I would go with the S&W M&P10. But I would take a Ruger SR-762 over all of those listed.

Reactions: Prepadoodle

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Out of the choices the SIG 716 is probably the most reliable and easy to care for with it's piston system. DPMS has some of the worst parts around, using low grade aluminum for their receivers when there's no need to and is bottom row in AR quality in my experience. You can do better with any of the other choices. You might consider a PTR91 also. It's system is a long time proven battle rifles system, not just a sometime used SPR system as .308 AR's have been. For a survival rifle, I'd take one anyday over an AR-10 type. They can be very accurate too and PTR91's have some excellent choices these days. I kind of wish I didn't sell mine.

PTR Industries

Buy PTR 91 Inc. at BudsGunShop

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Don't let her have it. Haven't you ever seen "The Blues Brothers"? :lol:

Reactions: Prepadoodle

·
Registered
938 Posts
SIG 716 would be my first choice if you want to stay under $2000. Quad rail, very accurate, takes P-Mags, piston op sys, made in USA.

I just handled a RUGER SR762 and it is very nice. Not a known rifle like the SIG 716 is now.

FN SCAR 17 is the best semi-auto 7.62 on the market right now if you are looking at staying around $3000.

H&K MR762A1 is best available semi-auto 7.62 but it is priced above $3500 and MSRP is close to $4000...!

I looked at this weapon class for awhile and bought a Remington R-25. $1350 and takes P-Mags, reportedly very accurate and reliable. 20" barrel, flat top with 1913 railed low-profile gas block, camo hydro-dipped, aluminum hand guard, melonite barrel, and under 9 pounds.

I also own a SCAR 17 - if you can afford one, buy it.

My next 7.62 will be the H&K MR762A1 - almost bought one today - true word. Proprietary mags at $75+ each made me reevaluate that plan.

You should also look at the new Colt 7.62 modular LE901-16S - then you can run a 5.56 Colt LE6940 or 6920 upper on it too, with a mag well adapter kit:

Colt LE901-16S

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
if you are staying 556-I got Bradley the dpms oracle for 750.00 decent gun. really decent for the price. we changed it & dressed it up a bit and did trigger job.
I have the sigm400 about 1250 here in ca. always a solid choice.
the coltm4 is a sweet gun at about 1500 ca price.
today I got my self the sig 516 patrol in ca 1785.00. well because I deserve a present. my horse thinks im great!
Sig has a model for about 999 ca price with the moe magpul and other goodies on it. its their base model. I don't have one of those for some reason. :/

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I have been jerking off about the black rain bro ar10. that is a 2 yr old company, couldn't find any reviews. for the same 2k I went with what I knew. my next rifle purchase will be a sig 716 patrol in 308. I shoulda bought that today, but I went with the 516 patrol.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
i have been jerking off about the black rain bro ar10. That is a 2 yr old company, couldn't find any reviews. For the same 2k i went with what i knew. My next rifle purchase will be a sig 716 patrol in 308. I shoulda bought that today, but i went with the 516 patrol.
you so crazy...

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can't justify the cost of the SCAR 17S.

So far, I'm leaning towards the Sig 716, but will check out the other suggestions you all made too. I'm not a big fan of quad rails.

By the way, I understand Remington bought DPMS and Bushmaster.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts