Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have checked out Zapp works, talked with the owner and after awhile talking to a couple of other people that were about to spring for them (major big frn's) found out this. The Nickle Iron batteries being sold as "new" were actually old reconditioned Edison batteries, simply being put in a new "Zapp" works battery case. That alone make's me wary of this company and a couple of more just like them.
Hearing this does NOT set well with me. Those Nickle Iron Batteries are very expensive and hearing that they may be reconditioned is not good. I don't have the big bucks to buy one for $3K but after hearing that before dishing out that kinda of dough one better investigate further. Haven't heard of Rolls either. So I'm going to research them a bit. If you have links or information that you can post please do so.

Thanks,
Troy B

·
Registered
292 Posts
We used many battery's .
Our test over 4 yrs .
12D battery's off Dozer , not good for system, short life.
Best bang for buck.
6 volt golf cart battery's from SAMs .
In three yrs, only 2 battery's replaced. Only 59.00 each
Easyshack..replacing 2 batteries in 3 years may not be common. Were those batts new when added to your battery bank? What was your average discharge rate (if you know). Most Trojan 6v batt discharged at 40% will give your over 148,000 amph over the life of that Trojan battery.

You'll hear many people talk about 50% depth of discharge, but go to a manufacturer's website like Trojan and you find from their in-house testing results of depth of discharge and how it will effect the life of a battery. Of course temperature also should be placed into the equation. Looking forward to reading your reply so that I (and others) can benefit from it. This information is useful even when the Shit hasn't hit the fan. Energy Independence cost money in upfront (installation) cost and maintenance as well. I'm always trying to reduce my off-grid expenses :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Here is a depth of discharge (DOD) chart. I am posting it for those who are using battery banks and would like to extend the life of their battery bank. Look at what 40% DOD does to improve your battery bank and ultimately save you money if you're also doing your necessary battery bank PM's:

Rectangle Font Circle Number Paper

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.