Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though I am a giant hairy bi-ped I am far from perfect. I happen to have high blood pressure. So I was hoping some of you good people might have some good recipes for no/low sodium meals. Anything with spinach, white potatoes, rice, black beans (or beans in general). Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Reactions: bigwheel

·
Registered
637 Posts
I dunno but it's been said that watching a cat sleep lowers your BP 10 points. If that's the case, it's a wonder I have any BP at all.

·
Super Moderator
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah petting your dog is supposed to help too and I have two of them but they seem to raise my BP more than anything.

·
Super Moderator
3,230 Posts
Don't eat black licorice. Avoid foods with nitrates, such as jerky.

Reactions: Sasquatch

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Take your pick from these cookbooks at the American Heart Association. Loads of ideas and recipes. What's good for BP is good for your heart and vice versa.
Basically you just need to cut down on salt, white sugar and bad cholesterols. Easier said than done, I know. I'm just getting started on it myself.

You can buy them directly from AHA here or, from your favorite book selling website.
Cookbooks and Health Guides from American Heart Association

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Sasq....

Shop the 3 isles of your market instead of anything in the middle. Everything in the middle is usually condensed salty foods (soups, canned vegs). Most stores have a 3 tier "healthy" (if you want to call them that) food isles. First is usually the garden greens and fruits. Buy anything and everything in there as your heart pleases. 2nd isle on the outer skirts of the store is usually the meats and the 3rd isle is your dairy/eggs area. This is how 99% of the stores I've been to have been setup. Stay away from cheeses and bread laced with sodium as well.

I have also heard but not confirmed that sea salt is better than table salt for blood pressure. Here recently you hear a lot of chefs and recipes say to use sea salt. My question to them is why? I found only one evidence stating that it was better for your BP than regular salt... but then again that is not 100% confirmed.

I love pickles, salad dressing and olives, but they are laced with salt. Look for the reduced sodium labels and usually they are actually cheaper since people want salt! Also, Mrs. Dash items are all salt free. They have the kind that you can dash on your meats and also they have the packets that you can mix in with chili, tacos, spaghetti etc.

Now, you can have all the Funyuns you want. :playful:

·
Registered
21,094 Posts
Drink lots of water.
Drink lots of Green Tea.
Try a non-sodium salt substitute.
Take Fish Oil and CoQ10.
Sit in a quiet room and deep breathe in thru nose, out slowly thru mouth.
Eat Bananas
Eat fresh fruit and veggies
Avoid any food product that comes in a box or a bag. Usually those are high in sodium and high in processed carbs.
*Avoid alcohol

I have periods of high blood pressure and each of the above helps me lower BP. I practice what I preach...*except for the alcohol part. :p

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Banana's are sky high in carbs which in turn are sugar
I drink lots of water,the kind that comes in Bush Lite,low carb barley pop.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Add garlic to your diet. Lots of it. Another one that is good for blood pressure is ginkgo biloba. Eat lots of berries, any kind is really good for you. All of these are easy to find (Walmart) and good for lots more than just reducing blood pressure.

·
Registered
21,094 Posts
Aqua
Remember how good the old Busch Beer tasted before they changed the recipe?
I loved Busch beer back then.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
As for alchohol I have heard that red wine in moderation is good for you. It has antioxidants and a chemical called resveratrol that also helps with cholesterol.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
For over 10 years, I dutifully took my BP meds every day.

And it seemed that it just got worse.

One day I read a pamphlet that said a number of Dr.'s were convinced that if 100 people who were diabetic and/or high BP, . . . if they were to lose between 15 and 20 lbs each, . . . half of them could toss their meds.

At that time, . . . I was 6-1 and popped the scales at just under 210. I still wear the same belt, . . . but I hook it up 4 inches shorter than it used to be.

I hit the cave man diet for almost 6 months, . . . lost over 30 lbs, . . . tossed the meds, . . . ain't looked back.

That was 6 or 7 years ago, . . . I gained back about 12 of those pounds, . . . but the BP is still under control.

Best of all, . . . on the BP meds, . . . I didn't do anything, . . . had no energy, . . . was a lazy snot.

Now, . . . I'm doing all sorts of things that I used to just think of doing and say "some day", . . . some day is today, yesterday, and tomorrow, . . . couldn't be happier.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
574 Posts
For over 10 years, I dutifully took my BP meds every day.

And it seemed that it just got worse.

One day I read a pamphlet that said a number of Dr.'s were convinced that if 100 people who were diabetic and/or high BP, . . . if they were to lose between 15 and 20 lbs each, . . . half of them could toss their meds.

At that time, . . . I was 6-1 and popped the scales at just under 210. I still wear the same belt, . . . but I hook it up 4 inches shorter than it used to be.

I hit the cave man diet for almost 6 months, . . . lost over 30 lbs, . . . tossed the meds, . . . ain't looked back.

That was 6 or 7 years ago, . . . I gained back about 12 of those pounds, . . . but the BP is still under control.

Best of all, . . . on the BP meds, . . . I didn't do anything, . . . had no energy, . . . was a lazy snot.

Now, . . . I'm doing all sorts of things that I used to just think of doing and say "some day", . . . some day is today, yesterday, and tomorrow, . . . couldn't be happier.

May God bless,
Dwight
I can attest to this... I was borderline hypertensive and went through a divorce. I was taking beta blockers every day for BP. Throughout the divorce process I lost 30 lbs. I stopped taking the beta blockers because I was getting dizzy. When I went back to my doctor he was amazed that my BP was as low as it was. He couldn't believe I stopped taking the meds all together. Now my BP hovers around 116-120/75-80 with no meds and no dietary changes.

·
Super Moderator
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A bunch of great advice/suggestions. Some of which I'm already doing and others I'll be trying out. I knew you guys would come through. Thank you all. Now get back to prepping slackers!

Reactions: Slippy
1 - 20 of 34 Posts