Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Test fired my 1911 longslide again... STILL- catastrophic nose-dive issues. After comparing my longslide (Essex frame) to my wife's Kimber, I've noticed that I have less than half the feed ramp that she does. The Essex will only feed ball ammo, no hollow points or wadcutters. Also, I test fired with these types of mags:

Four different COLT 7rd mags
One ACT-PRO 8rd mag
One Kimber 8rd mag

The only mags that function (Somewhat) are the COLT 7rd mags, but only with 5rds loaded. Any more than 5rds and she nose-dives. I'm torn between feed ramp issues and mag issues... :?:

I've been looking into aftermarket magazine upgrade kits, but I don't want to spend the money if I just have to polish the feed ramp more.

Any ideas or experiences with similar issues?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have a sig that has never had those issues. Kimber should be more than willing to either send youu a new one or make a repair.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'd try some more polishing, I doubt it's a magazine issue since you've tried several (although there is a chance that it's so picky it'll only feed with certain magazines). The 1911 has been notorious for issues feeding hollow points in it's original form. This has been corrected by most manufacturers over the years since they all now polish the feed ramps for reliable feeding. Did you build the gun or did you buy it in it's current form? If polishing doesn't fix the issue it might be time for a gunsmith before you start spending a bunch of money have them look it over and tell you what the issue is.

-Infidel

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Might try changing out the recoil spring and see if that helps. If you know the poundage of the spring currently in the pistol, try one a bit heavier or lighter and see if that help. If the pistol hasn't been throated, (shorter feed ramp is a clue) then you may want to take it to a gunsmith and have it done. Changing the spring weight is the inexpensive fix...if that doesn't work figure on spend some money with a good smith.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips, guys. I did fail to mention (and its probably pretty important) the the longslide was indeed BUILT, and is not a factory weapon.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Long slides can be a bit more fussy because the inertia must work harder to move more mass. This usually slows down the cyclic rate.
First thing to do is try a heavier spring.t

Second thing to check is your extractor. a LOT of Govt model feed problems are due to an improperly adjusted exrtractor.
Check that your extractor is not too loose, allowing the loaded round to hang down a bit too far,
or too tight, which causes a bit of a hiccup as the rim of the case pushes out on the extractor as it slips up into the chamber.

Check that your slide stop is not impacting the bullets as they feed.
Some times the SS intrudes a bit too far into the nag well.

Check also if your mag release is sitting too low.

Of course, check the mags [ which you have already done ]. However , some times simply bending up the mag spring at the front for a little extra upwards tension can help.

Best way to troubleshoot is to swap in parts that work well in your other pistol [ use the slide stop and mag release from your other pistol [ and always swap just one part at a time ]

good luck with this one,
the Govt model, once set up properly, can be as reliable as any other machine known to man,
but getting it set up properly can sometimes be a real chore.
LAZ 1
[;{)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hollow Points and Wadcutters not feeding properly could be because the angle of the magazine lips. As long as you don't have a problem feeding ball ammo I dont believe the gun is the problem. Check out Brownells feed lips tool for adjusting your magazines to feed the wadcutters or just feed it ball ammo.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Try the manufacture first. Once you mess with the slide there is no going back.
Many, many handguns are trashed by people polishing the slide the ramp ect.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
My Kimber CDP Pro II was just too finicky. Most hollow points would stop halfway up the feed ramp. The bullet profile was the issue. Ball ammo would push the slide release up at random intervals causing the slide to lock in the middle of a magazine. When the department did not authorize the defensive ammunition it did like we parted ways. I polished the slide release and got rid of the issue it had with ball ammo but it had an anodized aluminum feed ramp that was actually integrated with the frame. It could not be polished.

If you can polish the feedramp on your Essex and experiment with rounder bullet profiles (I like the Critical Duty for this) that are more similar to ball you might get lucky. I'd steer clear of Hydrashok and flying ashtrays. My 1911 hated those.

I ended up trading even for a Glock 26. I rather doubt I'll buy a 1911 again. I'll always have a fond place in my heart for them but I am a far more pragmatic and practical person these days.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
If you are using it for self defense you can always try the Remington Golden Saber hollow points which have a similar shape to hard ball or go to PowRball ammo

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
In there original form yes,today most will shoot any ammo out the box. I known mine do.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I know it can be done physically and with great results but Kimber said it would void my warranty.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Loaded over-all length is an adjustment that reloaders use to get different bullets to feed properly in auto loaders. I have had no troubles with the auto loadres that I have owned once I seated the bullets to the right length for my gun. If you are buying loaded ammo then you will just have to find the ammo that your gun will feed. Polishing ramps and contouring magazine lips is best done by a professional with a supply of bullets that you want the gun to feed.

Reactions: AquaHull

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
Loaded over-all length is an adjustment that reloaders use to get different bullets to feed properly in auto loaders. I have had no troubles with the auto loadres that I have owned once I seated the bullets to the right length for my gun. If you are buying loaded ammo then you will just have to find the ammo that your gun will feed. Polishing ramps and contouring magazine lips is best done by a professional with a supply of bullets that you want the gun to feed.
Even more so with a 1911

I don't own one yet,I may.
I've worked on a few though

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have a custom made Dlask 1911 that is having the same issues with swc ammo. I haven't had a chance to contact them yet and see what they recommend, but it should be a solvable problem as everyone at matches is shooting swc's without issue. Very nice pistol by the way ( made in Canada and has a maple leaf engraved in the slide, prob doesn't mean much to most of you but there aren't many gun makers in Canada so I like it)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.