Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I've been lurking for a few weeks, so I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm just starting with this preparedness stuff. I'm trying to take a very pragmatic approach, and I thought I'd start out getting ready for two of the most likely scenarios I can think of:

• An event that prevents me from leaving my house,
  • An event where I'll have to leave my house on very short notice

The first one I believe is more likely, and my initial goal is to have everything I need in my house for 21 days of survival, assuming all utilities (electricity, power, gas) are cut off. This includes first aid, batteries, food storage, and potable water. I've got a whole list of things. Eventually I'd like to expand the time frame, but I think 21 days is a good place to start.

One of my first questions is this: For food, my first thought is to start accumulating canned goods. Buy extra each time I head to the grocery store, and put those in storage. But I stumbled across Wise Food Company. Seems like they make things pretty easy - they've already done the work. What does everyone on here think of them? I don't really have anything to compare them to. Also, I'm not sure yet how I'd heat water in this scenario, and I assume these need hot water?

I'm also putting together a bug-out-bag. I'm thinking that I'd like to have enough supplies in the bag for initially 3 days of survival - I'm thinking protein bars, some bottled water, maybe some kind of water purification, first aid kit, medicine, a small radio with AM/FM/Weather band, some clothes, a blanket - again, I've got a list of things. I haven't put it together yet, so I'm sure I'll have to tweak it to keep the weight and size manageable.

Anyway - thanks very much! Glad to meet all of you.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Glad to have you here! I'm sure there are things here you will find good to know, and I have no doubt you'll have a lot for us to absorb, too.

Welcome from Alabama!

·
Administrator
15,448 Posts
Welcome from Florida

·
Registered
280 Posts
Joey,
anything you do to prepare will be a plus.

If there is no electricity, there won't be radio stations
for any longer than there is diesel for their generator.
You will still have to eat.

If you don't wash occasionally, you run a health risk.
You will need water.
Many will waste some of their water that is stored just to
flush their toilet as they get accustomed to the new program.
You still have to eat.

You may not want to draw attention to your position.....
as others around you freak out and go looking for what
others have.....looking to take your stuff.
You may not want a fire, or lights, ..........
You still need water....
You still have to eat.

Canned meat like Treet [Spam, but cheaper].......
Canned beans
Vitamins
Band-Aids
Toilet Paper
Manual can opener [P-38 or any other]
Aspirin
Pepto Bismol
Fun food for morale [Oreos...TWINKIES....#1 BEST,....]
Silver Colloid
Alcohol wipes
Hydrogen Peroxide
Vienna Sausage
Powdered Milk
Board Games - especially if you have children
Cast Iron skillet and Dutch oven
Licorice Root- use for toothbrush
.22lr revolver and ammo
Para-cord or heavy string or both [fishing line]
SALT......IODIZED SALT.......very importante........

Just for some starters...........

Reactions: inceptor

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You mention a .22LR revolver. I currently have a .22LR pistol (Walther P22). Are you recommending the revolver because there are fewer moving parts and less can go wrong?

·
Registered
280 Posts
You mention a .22LR revolver. I currently have a .22LR pistol (Walther P22). Are you recommending the revolver because there are fewer moving parts and less can go wrong?
I am just a revolver guy.....
I have semi-autos, but my faith is in revolvers.....
dependable, but normally less rounds, and slower to
load and unload the spent brass......yet I also find
them to be generally more accurate.
It's my personal preference....but with 60+ yrs of use.
That's all.
I have some Ruger Mark II's that have always been flawless
and they are semi-autos.
My GSG 1911 .22 with the Chet Whistle PES kit has also
become a .22lr semi-auto to be reckoned with.
A revolver still gives me more peace of mind for
function and dependability.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Welcome from Norway :)
And i agree with OZO on the revolvers, im not a person that likes fully automatic weapons, i prefer that i dont have to waste bullets and that those i do use hitts their targets, I have three firearms (Not included my H&K HVU AG3 modified semi auto rifle that is owned by the millitary but issued to me during excersices) and only one of my three guns is a semi auto (Fully automatic weapons are illegal for civilians here :c) Im a 22. and 30.06 kind of person, i have two bolt action rifles, one 22. and one 30.06, and i have one semi auto Remington speedmaster 22. rifle. Something i find that most people forgett in their BOB Is that having more than one way of starting a fire might be smart, i keep a box of not waterproof matches, a cheap lighter, two boxes of waterproof matches, and i ALWAYS have a Zippo lighter on me. I wish you good luck and merry christmas my fellow prepper :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
from Nevada

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.