Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Canada!
My husband and I are new to prepping. Unfortunately (and thankfully, too) it was the american election that finally prompted us to get started and have a deadline. We've been talking about for quite a while and now we have a start at least.
My first question that I wonder if some could help with regarding food storage buckets. Every year we order grape juice that comes in 5 gallon food grade pails for making wine. They have a gasket and a little thingy in the lid to let air out when the juice starts fermenting. I have been saving these and using them to store dry goods. Is this sufficient to keep food stored properly? I do not have flour for example in a bag and then in the bucket. Just looking for additional advice or suggestions or for someone to let me know if this is a terrible idea! Below is a photo of the bucket.
Thanks!
(don't know why its sideways)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,809 Posts
Welcome!

Use the search tool and type in "food buckets". You'll probably get your answer that way. Or wait around and one of our knowledgeable members can help you out.

Sent from a Galaxy S5 far far away.

·
Registered
21,088 Posts
Hello Evie,

I may not be able to help with all of your questions but I'll do my best.

Regarding your picture being sideways, CONGRATS! I don't know much but I know if you are drankin' some Vino and thangs ain't a bit sideways then you must not be doing it right!

There are a number of threads regarding food storage in food grade buckets, mylar bags, vacuum sealing etc. Do a search and you should find them.

Also, it used to be customary for new folks to post a picture of themselves in swimwear but I think that rule was lifted a while back. I'll check with the Powers to Be on that one...

Welcome and Go Habs!

Hello from Canada!
My husband and I are new to prepping. Unfortunately (and thankfully, too) it was the american election that finally prompted us to get started and have a deadline. We've been talking about for quite a while and now we have a start at least.
My first question that I wonder if some could help with regarding food storage buckets. Every year we order grape juice that comes in 5 gallon food grade pails for making wine. They have a gasket and a little thingy in the lid to let air out when the juice starts fermenting. I have been saving these and using them to store dry goods. Is this sufficient to keep food stored properly? I do not have flour for example in a bag and then in the bucket. Just looking for additional advice or suggestions or for someone to let me know if this is a terrible idea! Below is a photo of the bucket.
Thanks!
(don't know why its sideways)

·
Super Moderator
9,190 Posts
Howdy from Texas.

The buckets should be fine. I would put storage items in a mylar bag though first to ensure long term storage.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Welcome to PF from NC .

·
Registered
11,945 Posts
Welcome from NE Texas, and don't sweat this prepping stuff, its only another thingy.

·
9,015 Posts
Welcome to the group from Arizona.
Land of Sun, Surf, and Sand.
Ok, I lied, no surf, but enough sand
to fill all the dang sand bags I’ll ever need!
Eventually we all find some reason to prep.

·
Administrator
14,858 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Welcome from Houston. You will find lots of good info here.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Welcome from Jefferson.

·
Registered
Self-sustained liveaboard
337 Posts
Welcome from Ontario :vs_wave:

I don't have much information on the bins themselves (still learning here too) but I can shed some light on the photo issue. I'm guessing the picture was taken on your phone? That's usually why they come up all sorts of different directions. This article explains it pretty well: Why Your Photos Don?t Always Appear Correctly Rotated

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Welcome from the Carolina's.

Check with local deli's and bakery's for additional buckets.
Sometimes (if you make a friend) you can get them free.
I just put product in the buckets in their original containers (boxes, bags,...).
I use a rubber mallet to ensure a tight fit of the lid.
Label and date them and don't open until you're ready to use it.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Howdy! Welcome fron Bantario Canada!

Get your firearms liscense and stock up before the next election (if you do not have one) Turdo and that witch Wynn are gonna make a grab.

Your buckets are food grade so good to go. Look into mylar bagging its an extra step but well worth it.

Water water water. Get a water filter that dont rely on electricity. Something like a Berkey.

Water. Food. Self sustaining gardening. If you can chickens for food and eggs. Rabbits. A means to get game and protect yourself.

Welcome to prepping and yes Canadians do do it. Legally we are not allowed to organize unless we call it a hobby group. So keep that in mind.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Good thing you stored your buckets! Yes they will be just fine. If you want to store stuff longer term (a few years or even decades) then you may want to buy some mylar bags and oxygen absorbers.

Ideally while you may store some stuff for long term, if you can start a rotating pantry (buying stuff you normally use on sale in bulk, using it and not buying more until another good sale comes along) it will probably be better than just storing most things in 30 year packages. You can save a lot of money with a rotating pantry, then just store a few bulk goods (rice/grains/beans) for long term. Plus the convenience of knowing you don't have to run to the store for basic things is great. You have everything you need when you need it.

Watching out for sales and learning to coupon is also surprisingly fun and rewarding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts