Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My name is Derek, and here is a little bit of information about me that I do care to share. I am 21 years old, I live in West Virginia. I have a beautiful girlfriend of 6 years and hope to be financially ready for marriage soon. ( Although paper means nothing to me). We are currently living inside of city limits without woods so it is a little rough prepping sometimes due to in-town limits try to limit you as to what you put on your property. We are currently renting and wish to move very soon to a hollow of my families. I work in an office for my town pushing papers and working on this upcoming election. I just started prepping because of the seriousness that life is throwing at us in a rapid pace. I see many of families in hard ships, and me knowing I was that way growing up. I do currently know that I am not anywhere ready if something would happen but I am trying to prepare myself for what I can. I honestly don't know how to come out with being a prepper in my community so I keep this to myself and now other of the same interest. I am kind of shy about coming out with it. Even to my girlfriend. I am here to get the courage that I am seeking to not care what others think... Damn that felt good. Sorry for the chit chat this probably wasn't something you wanted to read but if you live in West Virginia or around in my traveling distance please, please, let me know your there. And maybe we can help eachother out if anything comes to happen. Thanks for reading.

Derek
(WVTactics)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Derick, Welcome to the forum. Operational security ( not telling everyone you are a prepper) is a good idea, especially until you know where they stand. If you tell 10 people, you'll have 20 people on your door step when it hits the fan. As far as your girl friend, you can probably start working on her by getting her to pay attention to the threats. There is no shortage of experts who see us having an economic meltdown. Once people see the threats, the desire to prep just kicks in. Here is a post on Financial Collapse you might be able to get her to read.
P.S. WV is a great area of the country!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Derek, I got cold chills when I read that "I am here to get the courage that I am seeking to not care what others think".

I wish that when I was 21 I had that mentality. You are more a mature man than you think you are right now, just by hearing your train of thought process. I know 30/40 year olds that still act/care like they are 16.

There are a lot of "bad" impressions that people assume with "preppers/survivalists", mainly because of the media in the last year, but I think this is having a turn around to the opposite direction as I see more and more people stocking up food, cutting credit cards in half and becoming more aware of prices, learning to makeshift items they would just throw away, investing in protection for their family and learning how to protect their family, and basically talking more about the great depression and how their families got by back then. Just remember that preppers are not bad guys, they are the ones that prepare for anything that could happen that would throw their families lives off-sync. If your interest in investing in precious metals that will foreshadow a financial crisis, then call yourself smart and a prepper. If you buy a few hundred cases of food in case a EMP hits the earth, then again, your a smart man and a prepper.

If something ever comes your way over in WV, then I'm about 200 miles to your west. I'll help you as much as I can.

Thanks for joining the forum. We look forward in hearing your ideas.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Derek, I got cold chills when I read that "I am here to get the courage that I am seeking to not care what others think".

I wish that when I was 21 I had that mentality. You are more a mature man than you think you are right now, just by hearing your train of thought process. I know 30/40 year olds that still act/care like they are 16.

There are a lot of "bad" impressions that people assume with "preppers/survivalists", mainly because of the media in the last year, but I think this is having a turn around to the opposite direction as I see more and more people stocking up food, cutting credit cards in half and becoming more aware of prices, learning to makeshift items they would just throw away, investing in protection for their family and learning how to protect their family, and basically talking more about the great depression and how their families got by back then. Just remember that preppers are not bad guys, they are the ones that prepare for anything that could happen that would throw their families lives off-sync. If your interest in investing in precious metals that will foreshadow a financial crisis, then call yourself smart and a prepper. If you buy a few hundred cases of food in case a EMP hits the earth, then again, your a smart man and a prepper.

If something ever comes your way over in WV, then I'm about 200 miles to your west. I'll help you as much as I can.

Thanks for joining the forum. We look forward in hearing your ideas.
Survival,

You have no idea how much that meant to me. As well as your comment Recon. I am trying to work out the details and would love to have others in our area that does the same thing I do. I don't have but one gun right now and financially I can't afford another at the moment. But I thrive everyday to think things are going to look up. I live in a very small town where you don't make much, but you don't have to pay much either. I pay $350 a month for rent, and around $200 more for utilities. Being young and starting out isn't fun but is a fun experience when you look back at it. Yes I am only 21 but I haven't accomplished much yet in my life but I intend too. I want children but right now financially I can't afford them so I am going to do the responsible thing and wait. If anyone ever see's a hole in my preps don't be afraid to let me know. Thanks for the kind words.

Derek

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
:) hello to you :) and welcome.
so.... tell me, whats in yer bag? BOB {lol}
i sure hope you like the subjects and goodness of these fine posters. i sure do. welcome.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
i cannot stress budk.com enough for great prices! and the dollar store for canned food. even to spend 10 bux a month is 20 cans of food. and itll grow, always check expiration date hunney.
i dont mind being thought of as the crazy shotlady. but i will be the one that survives and is comfortable while other people are knocking on doors looking for safety and food.
check out the free books, freecycle.com. books will be gold standard when it comes to printed knowledge, like alminac and survival manuals with will be a commodity. you can grab seeds for a meer 50 cents per pack even if you just spend 2 bux a month. check out seasonals and things that would grow nicely in yer area. in small incriments. its okay. i didnt build my hoard in one day... and its funny cause im in la, i have to bug out. i cannot bug in. its a challenge to think strategically and how to do this with the thought of not being able to take anything with me so i cant really prepare like most homesteaders would. this sight is great and youll get great ideas!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the kind words Shotlady. Well I want to be completely honest my other posts state that I am fairly new... And another reason why I am not ahead is the money situation. Yes I do work in an office and I make only $9.50 an hour. I get to work 3 days a week from 8:30 to 4. Where I live the jobs are far and few between. So this is why I am not completely ready. But this is how I do things. I lack money at the moment so this is what I do to prepare. I obtain skills. Skills that will get me through obstacles that are thrown at me. Skills that could one day save my families life and mine. So for the BOB I don't have it set up per say but will soon and will give you guys an update thanks for the kind words and for asking! ;) God Bless

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
ahhh hunney i have been there too. young & broke as all get out... there is a time when that all comes together. remember to do whats right, because it right, then do it right... skills are just as good as supplies. some people got a lot of stuff but no skills. you've got some great thinking kiddo!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just recently went there, the site is amazing. People like Shotlady are a very good asset to us all. :) Thanks for the site.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts