Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, and greetings. Some years ago I semi-retired from my first career in hopes of finding a somewhat safer, saner life away from larger urban centers. Now I'm trying to position my family for the long term, not knowing what exactly the future will hold, and reminding myself that everything you gain is indeed a trade-off for something else you give up. Looking for sane discourse from serious people in similar circumstances.

Thank you and best wishes.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

If your looking to buy out of the city many are well ahead of you. In my area the land rush has been on for a few years, this one being the worse. Prices are through the roof with nothing available. If something nice comes on the market it's gone in days if not hours.

After the MN riots all we see in WI is MN plates.

·
Administrator
15,446 Posts
Welcome from rural NE Florida.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome from Georgia. I completely understand about wanting to leave the city. I grew up on a farm and couldn’t wait to get away from it. Ten years in the city cured me of that mistake. Now we are back enjoying our rural paradise.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone. I'm actually in Arkansas now, driving distance from a medium-sized town but I bought some acreage adjacent to a forest. I grew up in Appalachia and fit better in the South than the North. Most of my concerns revolve around my kids. I still have years of potential to make some decent income, and want to give my kids a good launch in life. Assuming the world doesn't end totally in the next few years that would mean finishing high school and college. So, I can't drop too far off the grid. I'm reluctant to buy lots of land and sink my resources into that, because the kids likely will want to (or need to) travel for work etc. for some years, and wouldn't be able to pay property taxes or tie themselves to the same small town they now call home. So that's all complicated. I gave up some theoretical opportunities for them to gain advantage in high school by moving here, but also saved them from a lot of very real, tangible physical and academic threats. So, trade-offs.

Looking forward to sharing advice, experience and support.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you try to buy them a future of intangibles at the cost of land??? I guess i can't see how anything not solid won't be stolen in a year and we will be fighting to keep 5 acres. It has just begun? If there is a modern future....apparently you can be even lousier than now and a model citizen? Everything will be paid for and travel will be a ride on the global train?
It it all goes new orleans, like usually happens, land, crops and your personal army is solid.

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
Hello, and greetings. Some years ago I semi-retired from my first career in hopes of finding a somewhat safer, saner life away from larger urban centers. Now I'm trying to position my family for the long term, not knowing what exactly the future will hold, and reminding myself that everything you gain is indeed a trade-off for something else you give up. Looking for sane discourse from serious people in similar circumstances.

Thank you and best wishes.
Welcome from DFW. Hear you on those trade offs. We considered trying to move back to the small town where I was raised..but realized it too far from my heart doc..the grocery store..the sports grill and my job to make it feasible. We contemplate sheltering in place and saving the last few rounds of ammo for ourselves if things become intolerable.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Welcome from GA, same as plenty others here it seems. We've had interactions on other threads already but again, glad to have you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts