Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,

I'm completely new to this so will no doubt will be asking a lot of dumb questions!

I live in a suburban area and certainly in the short to medium term it's going to stay like that. I can't really do much in term of long term preparation at the moment, but looking at a very real possibility of nearer term supply chain issues, power outages and natural gas supply issues (my home heating is all natural gas). So going to start small and just focus on being able to manage through a short period, a month to start with and then go from there.

My starter list is:
  • Start putting away food and general supplies (seen a few good posts on this already).
  • Get a rainwater collection setup going (one thing I don't think I'll have a shortage of is rain).
  • Ability to cook, currently its all electric, so thinking of a small butane / propane stove.
  • Thinking of getting a small diesel generator.

I am sure the a hundred other things I should have on the list, but have to start somewhere.

Sean

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,017 Posts
Howdy and welcome!

Your best choice is to start small and focus on short-term goals. You'll be shocked at how quickly 1 month of supplies grows to 3, and then 9, and then a year and a half, and so on.
Cover the basics. Stock what you will eat. Have redundancies for water purification/filtration. Don't forget first aid supplies.
Something that many on here consider supremely important... have a strong means to defend yourself and what you've accumulated.
If you can't defend your supplies, you're just gathering them for someone else.

Glad to have you, and good luck!

Reactions: Sean

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome from California, I'd suggest a small charcoal/wood BBQ for outside besides a propane/butane stove in case you run out of fuel. Start small so you don't get overwhelmed and fall into the "Gotta get it all today and you start getting stressed out" and read and practice survival skills that may come in handy......if you have family and they're onboard do a test weekend by turning off all the power for the weekend. I did this a few times and it'll give you some insight on what you'll be lacking and areas to work on. One thing I learned early on was to have Cards and board games on hand to break up the boredom from no Television/Cellphones. Anyhow lots of info on the site and don't worry about asking questions these members are helpful or it would be interesting if you post whats going on in Ireland. Take Care

·
Administrator
15,445 Posts
Welcome from Florida.
Living where hurricanes are just a part of normal life, the first thing we did when we bought our house was to get rid of the electric stove, and put in one that runs on propane. I have it plumbed up to run on 20 pound (5 gallon) bottles, two hooked up at a time.

Non perishable food - whenever canned goods go on sale at the grocery, we buy extra.
We currently have several years supply, built up slowly over time.

Your idea of catching rainwater is sound.

Reactions: Sean

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
Howdy folks,

I'm completely new to this so will no doubt will be asking a lot of dumb questions!

I live in a suburban area and certainly in the short to medium term it's going to stay like that. I can't really do much in term of long term preparation at the moment, but looking at a very real possibility of nearer term supply chain issues, power outages and natural gas supply issues (my home heating is all natural gas). So going to start small and just focus on being able to manage through a short period, a month to start with and then go from there.

My starter list is:
  • Start putting away food and general supplies (seen a few good posts on this already).
  • Get a rainwater collection setup going (one thing I don't think I'll have a shortage of is rain).
  • Ability to cook, currently its all electric, so thinking of a small butane / propane stove.
  • Thinking of getting a small diesel generator.

I am sure the a hundred other things I should have on the list, but have to start somewhere.

Sean
Hearty welcome from DFW Texas.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Hello Sean, ex pat American from California living along the Shannon River now in Ireland. Start with a budget. Prioritize and recognize it all takes time. Avoid debt just spend what you can each month.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Welcome to the forum from a Irish/Native American in Texas. Great to have you here with us and hope to see you around and often.

I think your on the right track already. I think Supply Chain, Power Outages/Shortages and Inflation/Debt to be the biggest and most likely problems whether its due to Mother Nature or just Logistical issues. Anything you can do to put yourself a little further ahead of the power curve is a win in my book. Rome wasnt built in a day. Start off with 3 days of what you need to survive. Then a week, then a month and so on and youll be sitting good in no time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts