Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided today to go ahead and register for the forums. I started prepping in October, i have been visiting the site for a few weeks now.

Since October I have made the following preps:
INCH Bag (35lbs)
Get Home Bag (15lbs)
Increased my EDC to include a flashlight and a leathermen juice multi-tool.
66 Gal of Potable Water
210700 Calories of Food Storage (Canned Foods, Augason Farms)
S&W M&P 9mm Handgun
500 rounds of 9mm various grain FMJ

In the next coming months i will be looking into a small solar setup, as well as rain catching system. Additional Firearms are also in my future, hopefully an AR-15 or a Paratroopers AK47. That is if i can save up the money before they get banned.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Welcome to the site from Nevada. Got family in Chickasha, have visited there a couple of time while in route to east Texas.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Howdy from West Texas,

Looks like you're on the right track. Keep on prepping! You will be a valuable asset to your nearest neighbors.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Texas glad to have you here with us. Looks like you got a real good start on being all squared away! Hope to see you around and see you often.

·
Administrator
15,001 Posts
Welcome from Florida

·
Registered
280 Posts
Welcome......

", as well as rain catching system"----bigJ06

How much water are you wanting to collect ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome......

", as well as rain catching system"----bigJ06

How much water are you wanting to collect ?
That is a good question that I am trying to answer myself. I have been looking at some of the recent droughts in Oklahoma and comparing that with Daily consumption of water (Drinking, Hygiene, Food Crops). From what i can tell i will need at least 6 months of water stored at the beginning of a drought to maintain myself as the summer drought in Oklahoma last 6-7 months. That brings me to 1000-1500 gallons conservatively. The last part of my research is having to do with Farming, since i have never grown anything in my life. I am unsure how to calculate water for a greenhouse or small farm. That being said, right now i feel ok with the 1000-1500 gallons.

I have been looking at a livestock water storage tank from Tractor Supply right down the street.. 2 of those would get me to where i think i need to be. The water would be collected from the house guttering, they would need to be heavily modified. And i would likely not go "all in" with the modifications until SHTF.

Leg Style Storage Tank, 525 gal. - 2125848 | Tractor Supply Company

·
Registered
159 Posts
Welcome, great start to your preps !
-Anthony

·
Registered
280 Posts
That is a good question that I am trying to answer myself. I have been looking at some of the recent droughts in Oklahoma and comparing that with Daily consumption of water (Drinking, Hygiene, Food Crops). From what i can tell i will need at least 6 months of water stored at the beginning of a drought to maintain myself as the summer drought in Oklahoma last 6-7 months. That brings me to 1000-1500 gallons conservatively. The last part of my research is having to do with Farming, since i have never grown anything in my life. I am unsure how to calculate water for a greenhouse or small farm. That being said, right now i feel ok with the 1000-1500 gallons.

I have been looking at a livestock water storage tank from Tractor Supply right down the street.. 2 of those would get me to where i think i need to be. The water would be collected from the house guttering, they would need to be heavily modified. And i would likely not go "all in" with the modifications until SHTF.

Leg Style Storage Tank, 525 gal. - 2125848 | Tractor Supply Company
Water evaporates from open tanks......
it will also stagnate and/or grow algae....
First supply accumulation should be drinking quality....
in food grade jugs....with a touch of clorox........
Any water storage after drinking supply is always
a huge plus......

·
Registered
280 Posts
Remember......all of us.....
for drinking water....to stay alive.....
you can always use a small [3'x3'] piece of
plastic and collect the night time dew, funneled
into a cup......

·
Registered
292 Posts
1000 to 1500 gallons of water is nothing. My neighbor (well she's like a 1/2 mile from me) about 72 years old uses 1000 gallons of water a month in the Winter in West Texas. That's cooking cleaning, drinking and flushing the toilet. Now sure you can reduce that to a certain degree. I just did a test on my own home (didn't tell the wife or kids what I was doing) by turning off the pump and using the stored water in our tanks and in the course of a normal usage over 3 days we used 250 gallons. Granted the washing machine was used and we did take showers, but it goes to show you how much water was being used. That was water usage in the home only. Not for our garden or livestock. Could we survive on 2 gallons each a day (yep if we had to). I would be thinking closer to 2500 gallons or more. Start with a 1500 gallon tank and then add on smaller tanks. There is no way in hell you're ever going to store enough water if you don't have a well. On our property we use a community well. They only drawback is that you need a truck & fuel to haul it. Now we have to factor in fuel cost. I am personally thinking of drilling a well on my property. This is long term survival thinking as well as an investment for for my children. It is basically the only missing piece to our puzzle. Living in West Texas out in RAW land teaches you the value of water and upgrades your survival techniques real quick. However, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks ozo for the tips. I have about 100 gallons of stored water a 55 gal drum and some recycled tea/pop bottles treated with Clorox. I will be getting at least one more 55gal drum in addition to maybe two of the bigger tanks. The rain water would collect in one and be transferred to the smaller tanks indoors for treatment and storage. I'm looking at the livestock tank because it can withstand being frozen, i don't trust those blue tanks in cold weather.

Desert Marine,
This summer will be an eye-opening experience for me. I hope to shut off my modern conveniences and see exactly how i do with my preps. That should show me where i need to be. I do live in a Urban environment so... storing large quantity's of water would not be an option. My plan is to live as long as i can here, my secondary shtf location has a natural supply of water. When i bought my house 5 years ago, prepping was not a consideration of mine. Thankfully i have family that prep, and live on a farm.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Just recently joined myself. Great site! I'm from Central OK as well. Looks like you've gotten a good start on things

1 - 17 of 17 Posts