Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I’m new to the forum and hope to settle in a bit. Survival/prepping are new terms to something I’ve done for 4/5’s of my life. I grew up rural and poor, but with uncommon freedom by today’s standards. I’ve hunted, fished and foraged since I could peddle a bike. Never part of a social movement or some perspective on the future, it was just normal life.

I have tremendous respect for the ‘been there, done that’ type of knowledge and not much patience for regurgitated book wisdom. Most of my frequent backwoods excursions are solo. Camping and companionship are only marginally compatible concepts in my book.

I enjoy talking over ways of doing things in-camp, covering inhospitable terrain, hanging tight in extreme weather, good gear and good habits. If it doesn’t show, I’m a bit old-school, but I do appreciate the contributions of high-tech clothing, sophisticated water filtration equipment, etc.

I’m married with four kids who run the gambit from incredible survival technician to fashion diva, but they’re all practiced marksmen and capable campers. My wife and I realized we were made for each other the first time we went camping together. We barely spoke to each other for the first 24 hours… just had the same balance of camp sense and deep appreciation for the silence of the woods… speech as communication is overrated.

Well, that’s me. Glad to be here.

AnvilIron

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Very glad to see you here. I love old-school style. My uncles (all 11) of them were strickly old-school when it came to outdoors. Picking up and going was their way of life. They didn't worry about getting the "gear" ready except for the fishing poles, dogs and hound dogs. :)

We welcome you and any of your family friends here. Our main goal is to provide a free, non clutted with ads, forum where everyone can share ideas, tips and tricks, and experiences with each other to better help them in situations where it can be useful someday.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Welcome, sounds like you have a lot to offer us who are new to the lifestyle!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, thanks both for greeting me at the door.

Most of my experience in outdoor survival or subsistence living is limited to densely wooded, alpine or agricultural eco’s. I have definite blind spots in urban survival. Solo outback survival is really some of the easiest to master because the variables are somewhat predictable and lend themselves to preparation either in equipment, practiced skills or caching. Urban survival seems to have a huge array of less predictable variables (not the least of which are people).

I’m hoping to trade experience gained from a lifetime of backcountry survival practice, for help in improving my odds in an urban setting. I sense that it might soon become the new hostile environment.

AnvilIron

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome to the site. Here in Ohio its hard to have a good agricultural foundation. In wasn't so bad for whatever reason though.

I'm here also to hear others talk about things that I would not think of to help my chances of survival in situations. Although, 99% of this is just plain fun also!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts