Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, had my 1st car accident today. Completely total'ed the car hitting a tree at 40 MPH, and the right half of my face with burn marks from the air bags. A woman pulled out in front of me and i jerked to the right, dented the side of the car but didnt look like anything major. Reason for posting this was I realized something through this. Had i thought clearer during the situation and kept my cool, If i kept turning right i would have went between 2 trees into a clearing, probably preventing the major of what happened. The officer labeled it as her fault because i hit the side of the vehicle, not the back, and her insurance is buying me a rental car and giving us 2500 i believe (only paid 1800 for the car) So it's not a total loss. Turns out if i didn't jerk my wheel and hit the tree, i probably would have seriously injured/killed the passenger (A 90 year old woman) I guess it just bothers me that I couldn't have done more. Anyhow, i believe we are going to buy a vehicle we used to have from a friend for 1000, so we will have the extra money for any insurance jumps, and leftover from that for some supplies. So, me being the younger of the forum, what was your first car accident's like ?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Man, glad everybody was okay. The last time my husband and I were visiting family, driving from Virginia to Kansas, a semi's tire blew when we were alongside it in the Appalachians. My husband was at the wheel, and we had to swerve off the road. We missed most of the debris, but a big chunk hit the front left side of the our new truck. It broke the headlight and headlight housing, crumpled back the hood in that corner, and ripped up the left panel above the tire. Did about $2,500 in damage, thank goodness for insurance! That was definitely a scary moment!

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I feel you. A little over a year back I was hit head on by a reckless driver and very close to killed. Had my legs broken, arm hurt bad, legs hurt bad the seat belt broke my ribs and sternum, luckily the only thing pretty much not touched was my head. It took them awhile to cut me out of the car and unluckily I was fully aware and awake for all the goodies like IV's, seeing the wounds, feeling my crushed legs it was a nightmare. What makes me so upset is that other people here since then have been hit and even in this case, people CANNOT look at the road when driving, that's too much to ask of these grown assed children. When I went in for surgery recently, there was like three other people in a waiting room of five who were the victims of people who could not just watch the road. I don't know about some people but I take driving very seriously. Atlanta is ridden with these bad drivers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn Leon, very glad to hear you made it out of that. I can't agree more though, all to often around my town, i will see tidbits of stupid driving due to people being on the phone whilst driving. The other day, i was at a red light, back about 15 cars. Light turns green, our lane is moving but noticed the other lane wasn't. The woman in 1st was looking down at her phone, and practically my entire lane passed her before the drivers behind her started raising hell and made her move.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I've never owned a car, i've always just jumped on my pedal-bike or onto a bus or into a taxi. Last time I was in a car was 2 years ago when my 30-yr-old niece invited me to trip out to Dartmoor with her and her kids in her car.
But despite Dartmoor being a huge world-famous place just 10 miles away, she couldn't find it (she's a blonde) and we ended up picnicking in a field somewhere.
On the way back she drove like a maniac, hit some thorns in the gutter of a country lane and blew out the nearside front tyre.
She hadn't got a spare but some passing good samaritan helped her out and we limped back to town with the wheel making a funny noise..

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Notable & Leon glad you guys are OK. About a year ago I was stopped at an intersection. The light turned green traffic didn't move so I stayed put suddenly I'm hit from behind. The other driver comes out with his cell in his hand and states "The light was green so I kept going." The impact propelled my vehicle into the car in front of me. The driver who hit me was cited and his insurance paid for it. The vehicle ahead of me had someone with an outstanding warrant and the Deputies took him on a ride to Douglas County. Things could have been worse.

·
Registered
922 Posts
This is one of the reasons I haven't started riding again. (No, never been hit). It's just too darn dangerous anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts