1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have not ordered it yet but i have heard many good thing about "seed to seed by suzanne ashworth", it about seed saving ($13 amazoon)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have not ordered it yet but i have heard many good thing about "seed to seed by suzanne ashworth", it about seed saving ($13 amazoon)
I've heard that's a great book but you have to have plants to harvest seeds from to get started.....kinda the chicken and egg thing...lol seed or the plant......which came first?

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
We have used a bunch of different ones:

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, Saving the Past for the Future

Seed Savers Exchange: Passing on our Garden Heritage

Heirloom Solutions

Native Seeds/SEARCH - Home

The Southern Exposure people are a bit more expensive than the rest. But they have a TON of information available on their web site. So we are willing to pay a bit more just for the good info. The Native Seeds people are focused primarily on plants that will grow in the desert southwest, but they do have some that will work in northern climes as well. Plus, they offer to trade seeds as well as selling them outright.

Note: Mrs Inor did most of the research for our seeds.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Just a caution when buying the seed "banks" - many of the seeds may not grow in your climate. I prefer to make up my own bank with seeds I know will grow in my area. Seed to Seed is a great book although it probably give a lot more technical advice than actually needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just a caution when buying the seed "banks" - many of the seeds may not grow in your climate. I prefer to make up my own bank with seeds I know will grow in my area. Seed to Seed is a great book although it probably give a lot more technical advice than actually needed.
yes-true-but these seeds are all heirloom and I asked them about that particular thing and they said they tried to balance time to maturity with yield and hardiness- can't find 45 huge packs of heirloom seeds anywhere-and it's a small family run business-not owned by a huge conglomerate capitalizing on preppers-smokin' deal in my books but it's your choice-just trying to share ;-)

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I went to my local university extension ans asked about heirloom seeds that were good for the area I live in. You get good information and good places to buy cheep seeds. Getting the "all in one" seed bank would have been a waste of money for me because they don't have some of the things I want and a lot of what I don't want. It is always better to put together your own mix of vegetables, fruits, legumes, grains and herbs so you have what you are used to eating. I also want foods that can be stored easily for up to six to twelve months. Some things just don't store well without special considerations.
I have three trees on order that will give me all the different kinds of fruit (tree fruit) that I want. different pears, apricots, peaches, apples and more - just from three small trees. And no, they are not heirloom plants but unless they burn or freeze to the root they are good for several decades. The garden will fill up with heirloom plants and we will go from seed to seed with them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to my local university extension ans asked about heirloom seeds that were good for the area I live in. You get good information and good places to buy cheep seeds. Getting the "all in one" seed bank would have been a waste of money for me because they don't have some of the things I want and a lot of what I don't want. It is always better to put together your own mix of vegetables, fruits, legumes, grains and herbs so you have what you are used to eating. I also want foods that can be stored easily for up to six to twelve months. Some things just don't store well without special considerations.
I have three trees on order that will give me all the different kinds of fruit (tree fruit) that I want. different pears, apricots, peaches, apples and more - just from three small trees. And no, they are not heirloom plants but unless they burn or freeze to the root they are good for several decades. The garden will fill up with heirloom plants and we will go from seed to seed with them.
To each his own- I just know I wanted MOST-not all of these seeds and the price was great for that many seed packs-especially since you can reseal them-we're on a budget right now and fifty bucks can't be beat....someday if i have the money to spend then I can put together a custom one or I'll just add to what i already have but I considered this a very good base to build from......there are TONS of seeds out there-just do your own research and find out what works for you

·
Super Moderator
9,179 Posts
To each his own- I just know I wanted MOST-not all of these seeds and the price was great for that many seed packs-especially since you can reseal them-we're on a budget right now and fifty bucks can't be beat....someday if i have the money to spend then I can put together a custom one or I'll just add to what i already have but I considered this a very good base to build from......there are TONS of seeds out there-just do your own research and find out what works for you
And to top it off, the seeds you don't or won't use can be bartered.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts