Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiance and I are about to head out to Montana to build a little cabin in the Upper Missouri Breaks. Anyone that doesn't know about "The Breaks", it is about the most desolate place in the US you can get except for Alaska. A friend of ours has a ranch we are going to stay at and work until our place is done. We are going to make it as off the grid as possible. We are also going to be teaching survival/prepping classes with our friends that own the ranch. What we are also going to do is start a blog showing our daily experiences. Including the survival classes. It will be a text/video blog that we update on a daily basis. At least whenever possible. The property we are building on is just over 100 acres but surrounded my hundreds of thousands of acres. And the ranch we will be on is next to us and is about 60,000 acres that we have access to. We will be about 2hrs from the nearest town.
We have been talking about moving out there for a while and we even spent several months out there in 2010. We figure now is as good a time as any. So we are dropping everything and headed west. I am even leaving a 6 figure income to do this. So I hope eveytthing works out like I am hoping..

·
Registered
634 Posts
Congrats to you, this is something that I would love to do. but with the kid in school and short on funds its just not foreseen in the near future for us. I do have a brother that Lives in Alaska and he has said any time we are ready to make the move he's got plenty of room for us so that's a small backup plan. The bigger trick would be getting there if something really bad happened.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is one of the reasons we are wanting to go now. I still have some friends in the Marines, a few of them at the Pentagon and they say it is gettin ugly. And our financial system is about to go down in a hurry from everything I am hearing. So might as well go now. We have wanted to for a while just didn't want to leave our comfert zone I guess. I am 39 and she is 42 and the kids are out of the house so it is perfect time for us.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
very nice, i wish you a peaceful transition. definately would be something i would do if i could! happy moving to you and your soon to be bride!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am even leaving a 6 figure income to do this. So I hope everything works out like I am hoping..
wow. Talk about taking the big step! I wish you well, you would not be the first to do this and enjoy your life more then you could have imagined. Can I have your job? :>)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am a Logistics Manager for a very large produce company. The hours are usually over 100 hrs a week so the money is earned. I worked all day yesterday since 6am, worked all night last night. Went home and took a shower and grabbed a bite to eat about 4 this mornin and was back here at 5am this morning. So the hours are crazy. I was on overtime on Tuesday and will probably have about 125-132hrs this week when I leave tonight about midnight. When I came out of the Marines I worked as an overseas security contractor and after that I was a diver on the oil rigs for a while. I got tired of being gone all the time so I started work in the agriculture business. I was able to bank a lot of cash back then but I took a huge hit in 2008 when the market dumped. I was heavy in real estate too and wanted to swing from a rope for a little while there. I lost almost everthing I worked for over the years. Now I think it is time for the next step. I have been giving survival and tactical classes on the side for a while. Now I think it is time to go out west and slow down a little. I have lived a pretty fast paced life so far and I'm only 39 so I still have a while to go hopefully. We are betting everything that this is going to work. Plus I am sick of the government taking over a thousand dollars a week in tax money from me so people can mooch off of the government!
So if anyone is interested in coming to Montana to take some classes or just spend a week in the most beautiful place you have ever seen. Let me know.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Welcome to the hood - (I'm due south west a few miles - probably 1000 miles but it seems like next door? ) I though my Nevada desert was the most desolate place in the US?

I'm actually very glad I have been able to maintain my "city" residence in California all this time. My wife and I make trips to our BOL routinely
and have built a nice place there. We are doing the finishing touches this summer and could settle there by the end of summer, but I'm thinking
she has cold feet and is pressing to stay in CA for a little while. You know its a relief just knowing you have a place to go. She's studying
aquaponics big time because she knows I want sustainability; we have that in NV but not in the city - yet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
or just spend a week in the most beautiful place you have ever seen. Let me know.
Your on! I just have to make enough money to take another trip CC. I have done it 6x so far but the last one was in '09. Money is reeeeal tight now.
I wish you the best and hope it is what you were looking for.

·
Registered
855 Posts
My fiance and I are about to head out to Montana to build a little cabin in the Upper Missouri Breaks. Anyone that doesn't know about "The Breaks", it is about the most desolate place in the US you can get except for Alaska. A friend of ours has a ranch we are going to stay at and work until our place is done. We are going to make it as off the grid as possible. We are also going to be teaching survival/prepping classes with our friends that own the ranch. What we are also going to do is start a blog showing our daily experiences. Including the survival classes. It will be a text/video blog that we update on a daily basis. At least whenever possible. The property we are building on is just over 100 acres but surrounded my hundreds of thousands of acres. And the ranch we will be on is next to us and is about 60,000 acres that we have access to. We will be about 2hrs from the nearest town.
We have been talking about moving out there for a while and we even spent several months out there in 2010. We figure now is as good a time as any. So we are dropping everything and headed west. I am even leaving a 6 figure income to do this. So I hope eveytthing works out like I am hoping..
Lucky dog, I'm very jealous. I've been considering Wyoming myself although it'll be a while before I make a decision where I end up. I have to wait until I retire though before I can head out of here. 7 years 8 months and 18 days left before I can retire at half pay. I hope it all works out for you.

-Infidel

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks,
I love the work I do and love making good money.I have a nice place on the water(I am renting right now). I'm just not happy in life where I am. If that makes any sense. I have friends and family that think I am crazy for dropping things here and moving to Montana. I just know we are much happier when we are in Montana. I know I won't make the kind of money there that I do here, I think we will be happier though.
There is nothing like goin outside and not hearing any traffic,planes or music blasting. We go outside and we hear the wind,birds,cows and coyotes wen we are there. And there aren't any neighbors for 20 miles and those 20 miles takes about an hour to drive.
My cell prone rings at least several hundred times a day for work. I work over 100hrs a week and even when I am off I am still working on the phone. My blood pressure was like 186-133 last week. My doc said I'm a walking stroke and I am 39.
And it will be a lot easier to prep how I want when we are out there. Like I said in another post somewhere yesterday. There are less than a million people in the WHOLE state of Montana. So fi something were to happen, it would take a very long time for people to work their way out there. That is even if they did at all.There are only a few minor roads in to where we are and we already have plans to fix that if SHTF.
I just hope I am doing the right thing by leaving things here and following our dreams. I guess time will tell.. I think we are though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts