Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you moved on from the .308 Win/7.62X51 in favor of something else you feel is better? If so what were the reasons you opted for something else instead?

I know the 6.5 CM is the latest rage and all the cool kids on the block have one these days...except me. I use the 6.5 CM as an example as most of my Homies have switched to it from the .308/7.62, but there are other rounds out there competing for the title of the best cartridge these days. Its a fantastic round, dont get me wrong. Those high BC bullets can really step out there. Ill admit for a while I was thinking about it. But then I started thinking about why not the .260 Rem if I am going to change calibers, after all if its about serious performance, the .260 offers me everything the 6.5 CM does but does it with 100 fps more velocity on top of that. Granted .260 Rem aint nearly as commonly available as the 6.5 CM, but forming cases from cheap 308/7.62 is a lot less involved and much cheaper than buying brass for either of the 6.5 formats.

Me? Im kinda old school and being a bit older than most here, kinda stubborn and stuck in the Dinosaur Age. While the 5.56 is still my primary round of choice for SHTF (here the most dangerous thing other than a bad guy I am likely to encounter is a over grown feral hog). But I am still heavily invested in the .308/7.62. I have about 5-6 (2 are bolt actions) guns for it and it often pulls yeoman duty for most of my hunting. I have been using it since about 1990, reload for it, have its trajectory down to a fine science and have the ammo and components stacked very deep. While I have been tempted to make a change, I just cant see enough advantages to changing to something else, when it does a reasonably good job of putting Warheads on Foreheads further than I should probably be shooting at something that needs a bullet in it.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Reloading I just change ammo. The 308 is one of the most versatile rounds going, IMHO. I load 90 - 110 grain smokers for varmints and 225 grain hammers for self defense. Even load sub sonic for special occasions.

Plus those same 30 cal bullets and powder will work in my 30-06 and 300 win mag.

No I'm staying with the good ole reliable 308. Been getting the job done for what 70 years. No need to change now.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,028 Posts
If your area of operation is sub-301yds, .308 is just fine.
Outside of that, there are better options.
In SHTF, what distance can you personally justify engaging targets?
If you already have a significant variety of options with .308, sticking with it is more appealing. Changing to a new caliber is a logistics issue. What is the trade-off and benefit?

Reactions: KUSA

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reloading I just change ammo. The 308 is one of the most versatile rounds going, IMHO. I load 90 - 110 grain smokers for varmints and 225 grain hammers for self defense. Even load sub sonic for special occasions.

Plus those same 30 cal bullets and powder will work in my 30-06 and 300 win mag.

No I'm staying with the good ole reliable 308. Been getting the job done for what 70 years. No need to change now.

Great minds think a like...so they say. I am right there with you and thats the primary reason I havent changed to the "Trick of the Week". I also like the economy as when I dont find enough range brass (Im a tightwad) I can buy a 250 piece bag of prepped ready to load brass from Top Brass for about what it cost for a 100 piece bag from Winchester. For hunting and serious long range work I will break down and buy some Lapua or Star Line Brass. I also like the fact that the same 2-3 powders that are my favorites will load just about everything rifle wise I got allowing me to load what I need in a SHTF situation should I run low on loaded ammo. The 125 SST, 150-169gr bullets that I typically load perform very well with the 155 Nosler Match and 169gr SMK's doing great at longer range work. I inherited Dads 30-06 and I have a tack driving 300 Win Mag (not sure my shoulder will hold up for more than a couple of shots a session with that at my age, lol) too and like the fact that most of my components will work in them too. That keeps things cheap and I like that fact. Plus what little my 308 wont handle the 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag will! The 308 gives up very precious little to the 30-06 with bullets under 180 grs performance wise. While I dont like shooting over 300 yards I have dropped several deer out to 450 yards maybe a tad bit further with no issues, just put that bullet where it needs to go. I have the trajectory down on my loads to the point if your a paper plate your in trouble out to 600 yards. Still need some more work on shots at 800 plus, but what are the odds I will ever need to take a shot that far. Once in a blue moon maybe? For me shooting that far is more of a personal challenge for myself than a "need to do" thing. Its still being used by the military so its likely to be around for a while still. Its still very popular among civilians although the 6.5 CM is cutting into its market, so I am confident it will be around for the rest of my life time in great supply.

Are there better cartridges out there today? Yeah sure there is. But this one has picked up the check for a long time now and will likely do just fine for years to come without sacrificing much in the process. I see no reason to change now.

·
Administrator
15,448 Posts
My SHTF rifle caliber is still the same as it was when getting ready for Y2K.
7.62X39.
While I have weapons in 22 different calibers and gauges, my AKM remains at the ready to repel boarders.
In our area, the only 100+ yard cleared areas would be down a roadway or the railroad line that lies 3 miles away.

Reactions: Kauboy and KUSA

·
Super Moderator
9,218 Posts
Why would I change now. 5.56 and 7.62 are pretty much standardized. My reload equipment and supplies should last me for a while. What I own and shoot is based preety much on what I "think" I will need.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If I were to change from a 308. It would probably be to a .270. Out to 500 yards with the same size bullet it shoots flatter and has more energy than a 6.5. At my level of ability, I wouldn't shoot farther then 500 yards.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well, I always said I would use a caliber that I could buy at any Walmart. HA! HA! Those days are over. I look at things like this:light rifle 223 and heavy rifle 308. At my age I not going to play Rambo and run through the woods with an AR-15. If I can't get the job done with some bolt action rifles and a shotgun then I misread the threat.

·
Administrator
15,448 Posts
Actually, I would not feel under gunned with either of my 30-30 lever rifles.
One Winchester, one Marlin.
A hit in the chest of an aggressor with a 150 grain SP, and he's going down faster than a fat kid on a see-saw.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A hit in the chest of an aggressor with a 150 grain SP, and he's going down faster than a fat kid on a see-saw.
Dude your killing me over here with that last sentence, lol. Thanks as I really needed a great laugh tonight as crappy as work was this evening.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Living in a rural area over a hundred miles from a big town, I believe that small game hunting would be handled by a 10-22, Deer/Elk/Moose would take a .30-'06 bolt gun, and a 12-gauge slide-action shotgun should take care of most everything else I would need in a SHTF situation. When you add 9 X 19 Parabellum, I now have a logistics tail of 5 different caliber/ firearms, and that doesn't even take into consideration other types of ammunition in those same calibers for special-purpose uses.

This year, I've already coughed up three hundred bucks for someone to install a hand-pump with a one-inch PVC pipe into my well-head in case the electricity goes away; $750 for a rear-time tiller; and about $800 for polycarbonate panels and 4 X 4 lumber for a greenhouse. Add an extra $30/month for layer pellets, as well as whatever crap we need just to keep a 1-1/2 homestead going, and that pushes the tacticool stuff a little lower on the priority list.

Don't get me wrong; I like guns! I have a little pocket pistol, a Springfield "hellcat" and I'd like a matching carbine in 9 X 19 para as well, but I'm not made of money, and there's just too many items I need more than firearms.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Actually, I would not feel under gunned with either of my 30-30 lever rifles.
One Winchester, one Marlin.
I had an old Marlin side-eject .30-30; I still kick myself doe having traded if for something I no longer remember.
I always thought the lever-action rifles of that era and the .30-30 cartridge were a marriage made in Heaven.

·
Administrator
15,448 Posts
My Marlin is a 40+ year old 336 Texan. This model has a straight grip butt stock, like a Winchester.
My Winchester was made late 80's early 90's when FN took over production. Milled on cnc machines, it is really snug fitting on the internals. The only drawback is the cross bolt safety. I just leave it in the OFF position, unless there is actually a round in the chamber.
I like 30-06 also, a great round and popular enough it can be found around the world, often just known as "the Springfield".
The 30-06 is truly "America's Cartridge".

Reactions: inceptor

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Could consolidate your firearms to one or two calibers.

FOR EXAMPLE take the 44mag. You could have a small revolver for carry and a lever gun for longer range. 44mag is so close ballistically to the 30-30, also 10 plus capacity.

Add a 308 semi auto or bolt gun and your done. Do you really need a 12ga??

Stocking up on 50 yard defense guns aka 9mm and 12gan is kind of foolish IMHO. Remember almost everyone will have body armor once the SHTF. Whether homemade or tactical. Do you have something that will be effective against it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts