Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious as to how many people actually load up their BOB and hike several miles with it? If you have, was there anything in you BOB you decided you could live without? Have you realized you didn't pack enough or the weight was too much? Did you decide that all the ammo you thought you could carry is way too much? And if you do hike with it, do you do it on a regular basis?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have. I'm recently changed by BOB to elminate some extra ammo, and I'm in the process of swapping out my MREs for lighter Mountain House Pro-Pak meals. The MRE/Mountain House swap is primiarily for weight, while the ammo is more of a realization that my recent PCS move has changed my situation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
me too. i love rucking up and walking through the woods/hills, even though it's done a good job of ruining my back and shoulders over the years.
i try not to carry as much weight as i've had to in the past but it's hard to slim down to only 35-45 lbs. extra boots and cold weather clothing seem to take up some of the most valuable space leaving less room for first aid and surgery. i've transitioned from carrying several days worth of MRE's and saving the space by carrying tools to allow me to continue to get food where i can. still hugely deficient in commo, though.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I try to as much as possible, but life and bills get in the way. Damn modern life needs, why could I have been born a century back. My current BOB has only been out once, but now that the weather is getting nicer too, I think I'll get it out some more. Trail and backwoods camping is good, where you walk out a bunch of mile and set up camp out of your BOB, than walk back a day or two later. More if you've got the time. It definitely helps you see what's good and what's not.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
..i love rucking up and walking through the woods/hills, even though it's done a good job of ruining my back and shoulders over the years...
Hey guys, as an alternative, try a bike sometime and carry all your stuff in your saddlebag, your back wheel takes all the weight,not you shoulders/ back/ legs and you can go on forever..;)
Furthest I did in one day was 140 miles, but any reasonably fit person could do at least 50 miles a day. (Work it out, there's over 12 hours of daylight in an average day, so if you only average 4 mph (including lots of short snack breaks and rest stops, and walking up all hills) there's your 50 miles!)
Check this gal, would you rather roll smoothly down that road like her with your back wheel taking the weight, or walk down it with a ruck on your back with your legs taking the full weight?

Likewise, if it's too rough or steep to ride, just push your bike like this dood-

This guys stuff must weigh as much as a battleship and impossible to carry in a ruck but no problem, the wheel is a marvellous invention..;)

Below- My bike in Wales some years ago, i did about 70 miles that day. On my trips I always found I could make do with just this one saddlebag (no extra panniers), and it held my sleeping bag, spare clothes, and with my tent and food bag strapped on top, and the orange waterproof jacket lashed over everything.

·
Registered
296 Posts
All the time!! Better than ankle weights ;) my bob is 85lbs actually slightly more because I've added a few things recently.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I always make it a point to test out anything I am going to have to possibly stake my life on. You certainly dont wanna find out you got it all wrong when it counts the most and there is no turning back!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have ridden the bike with my get home bag on my back. I would like a set up like the girl in the first picture. I might purchase an item you connect to the back of the bike. Which would allow for more storage.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would like to do that sometime..We do a lot of modern camping (TC and Travel Trailer) We need to do some kiking and tent camping trips too..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts