Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Informal survey...

1... Have you ever used the ring from a hand grenade as a key ring?

2... If yes, did it have a P-38 hanging on it too?

Just wondering.

·
Administrator
15,018 Posts
Nope. Kept a grenade ring in the loops of my boonie cap to ward off evil schrapnel. I'm not superstitious, but I figured why push it. It's still there today, in my closet.
My P-38 was strung on a spare bootlace and hung around my neck. I've still got it, too, in my sock drawer. It's a little sprung (you know how they get).
Speaking of boot laces, we wore one dog tag on it's chain around our neck and the other one in our bootlaces. In case we got blown up real bad.
In my shadow box with my bling I've got my own personal "trench art" piece. I made a Peace symbol out of a grenade ring. The cotter pin was too short for the upsidedown Y part, so that was made of baling wire off a case of C-Rats.

Reactions: Prepadoodle

·
Registered
966 Posts
Yep, nothin' like needin' a pin and not havin' one. I still have my original P38. The old crap was funny. Names in boots and belts to identify the gorey bits. The new high tech crap is almost as bad. They had 3D xrays of our heads then DNA samples.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with no and no on this one, too. Although I do have a P-38, but not on a grenade key ring....

I do have the chain my departed Dad's dog tags hung on. I do not know what happened to his dog tags. When he passed he left me his military badges and the gear he still had. He fought in the Korean War. The dog tag chains are still rust free, and I keep them with his badges.

My favorite keepsake of his kit he let me inherit was the knife that screwed into the handle of his entrenching tool. The shovel part is gone, but I still have that knife, and it is a prized possession. That knife is very well made - all I know is it was used for amphibious assaults.

·
Registered
921 Posts
No grenade pin. Have an old metal P-38. Had a few of the aluminum ones, but they were crap.
P-38 has been on my key ring for many years. Have even used it at parties.

BTW: What use is a grenade pin without the grenade? :-o

Reactions: Prepadoodle

·
Administrator
15,018 Posts
Talismans have been used by warriors across cultures and centuries. A grenade pin, or more than one, was used as a talisman during the Vietnam War by many troops. It was fairly common.

·
Registered
966 Posts
No grenade pin. Have an old metal P-38. Had a few of the aluminum ones, but they were crap.
P-38 has been on my key ring for many years. Have even used it at parties.

You might not believe this but occassionally you need to put a pin back in a grenade. The stupid folks at S4 make you turn in a pin for every grenade you draw and use. It always helps to have a spare.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts