Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
From what you've posted I think you must be 99.999% of the way there @SOCOM42

Be interesting to know what you feel you still need, given you've got years of stores.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
From what you've posted I think you must be 99.999% of the way there @SOCOM42

Be interesting to know what you feel you still need, given you've got years of stores.
One thing there seems to never be enough of is fuel, gasoline, propane, diesel.

With the gasoline, aging is a problem, so I am limited to what I would consume in two years with rotation.

At any given time there is at least 1,000 gallons of diesel on hand.

Propane tanks of the 100 pound size are expensive, I have only 10 of them.

The primary plan in a long term SHTF is to draw down to primitive fuels, build a wood gasifier if needed.

Have a homemade log splitter, three chain saws and plenty of spare bars and chains for them.

When the gas is gone, I have 2 man crosscut saws, axes, bow saws and all the other tools,

one saw, a husky is brand new one, just stored, never started.

I have 50 gallons of paraffin oil for the lamps and the same in coleman fuel, but is it enough ?????

There is a dozen standard oil lamps and the same count of Alladin lamps, with a ton of spares.

All the out of date veggie oil is stored for primitive lamp use when the rest is gone.

Guns and ammo, spare barrels, belts, got what I will ever need, statistically speaking I could not use 1/100 of the ammo.

Food, plenty of that for at least 5 years, always adding some little bit of stuff to the pile.

Had to cut back on buying due to retirement, money I make doing gun repairs goes into preps for the most part.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
WOW, think I have some catchin up to do! I guess if you don't set a goal you'll never get there. Not that it is a competition, just good to see what seasoned folks would like to have more of. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Tennessee had a massive storm a couple of weeks ago. I had just bought a 1/4 beef steer and the power went out for hours. My 3100 watt Champion generator saved every pound. I kept myself alive after accidentally stabbing myself in the femoral artery, I had two cases of MRE's when I was stranded at my farm during the 2010 Tennessee floods. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It's just smart and it's not expensive or difficult.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
My parents grew up during the depression, they and my grandparents put up a lot of food from the farm,

canning everything they could.

The farm's product was eggs, had 5,000 laying chickens, also some milk from 50 some odd cows.

There was about 4 acres for crops of whatever out of a 100.

All that farmland is now housing, sad, not everything is progress.

This was in my opinion some of the driving force behind me, I observed and took part in it during the late 40s and 50s.

Of my stores today, the direction of which changed three times, there are two levels, short term up to a year, and LT.

What I have used through this crisis is just short term stuff, with resupply of most already.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
My grandparents were much the same @SOCOM42. They raised 11 children on a farm during the depression. There was always work to do and they were never hungry.

My mother was as a result very frugal, on the verge of being a hoarder. But prepared was always a priority.

My cousins still have the farm, undeveloped.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
One thing there seems to never be enough of is fuel, gasoline, propane, diesel.
((SOCOM))

That thought ^^ is what helped me decide which way to go on these things.

I always knew I'd never be in your situation, i.e. having adequate stores to accumulate and protect, so a long time ago I started on a different path; one of adaptability and reliance on skills. I'll never run out of fuel because my survival doesn't depend on having any. Sure, life is easier with solar or gen running the water pump - but if either ever rodeos - I can (and usually do) bring it up by hand. There is enough game and forage around us to eat well on, a well stocked lake within walking distance, enough wood to cook and keep us alive in the winter with, and the only thing I stock up on is coffee, smokes, and dog food because I dont want the boys hunting for themselves yet. Oh - I also keep on hand plenty of tips, shafts & strings. Other than that... not much. :)

View attachment 106445

So in answer to the OP - yes, I use my 'prepper survival skills' lol - but I just call it the way I live my life.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
@MountainGirl, my place is located with a river behind my shop and the lake out front.

I have town water and a well, if they are gone I can get it from the river or lake.

I can shift to wood overnight if needed but would have to add to the yearly 5 cord for cooking.

There are plenty of fish in the lake and river, but I hate fish, I gag when I make my kid tuna salad sandwiches.

There is plenty of game here, deer, rabbit, turkey and ducks, but how long will it last in a SHTF event???

One of the dogs goes right out into the lake and brings back a pissed honker, funny as hell.

That probability of extinct game is why I extended the food stores to 5 years.

With that though again, it is why the high level of firepower, to protect all of it.

When the prepping all started in 1979 (post storm),

it was for a 6 month period of time based on weather and power outages.

Times changed, slick willie was in office and the DOJ was running wild with abuses, I changed directions.

It looked like a revolt was on the way, that in itself would have been catastrophic to say the least.

I am stuck here seeing work and home are in the same place and have been for over 40+ years.

Started plans to move to NC 32 years ago, but the cost of moving all the machinery and associated exense ruled that out.

Also considered was the 15 employees I had at the time,

one large customer of mine was a half mile down the same road I would have been on,

they moved there from the big city here a few years before.

They were a great customer, sent work, no bid or quote, just do the job and bill them.

Flew the plane down there many times for consultation.

The town I planned on moving too was nice enough to give me a closed hosiery mill with no taxes for 10 years.

Local sheriff would sign off on the transfer of all the machine guns I have also.

Now with everything stored and my age it is not a consideration any more, I die here one way or another.

Last but not least, the temp here can and has gone to 30 below in past winters, hate going out the door then.

Everything is frozen, propane does not gasify, have inside tanks to switch over to in that case.

Diesel turns to jello, needs to be heated to flow.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts

Have you ever experienced a situation (such as a natural disaster) that put your prepper/survival skills to the test?

What were the results? Were there some things you discovered you needed more practice with?

Were there some supplies that you realized you needed to add to your preps?
Yes..starting at age 11 or so in Boy Scouts and being poor was helpful.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
@MountainGirl, my place is located with a river behind my shop and the lake out front.

I have town water and a well, if they are gone I can get it from the river or lake.

I can shift to wood overnight if needed but would have to add to the yearly 5 cord for cooking.

There are plenty of fish in the lake and river, but I hate fish, I gag when I make my kid tuna salad sandwiches.

There is plenty of game here, deer, rabbit, turkey and ducks, but how long will it last in a SHTF event???

One of the dogs goes right out into the lake and brings back a pissed honker, funny as hell.

That probability of extinct game is why I extended the food stores to 5 years.

With that though again, it is why the high level of firepower, to protect all of it.

When the prepping all started in 1979 (post storm),

it was for a 6 month period of time based on weather and power outages.

Times changed, slick willie was in office and the DOJ was running wild with abuses, I changed directions.

It looked like a revolt was on the way, that in itself would have been catastrophic to say the least.

I am stuck here seeing work and home are in the same place and have been for over 40+ years.

Started plans to move to NC 32 years ago, but the cost of moving all the machinery and associated exense ruled that out.

Also considered was the 15 employees I had at the time,

one large customer of mine was a half mile down the same road I would have been on,

they moved there from the big city here a few years before.

They were a great customer, sent work, no bid or quote, just do the job and bill them.

Flew the plane down there many times for consultation.

The town I planned on moving too was nice enough to give me a closed hosiery mill with no taxes for 10 years.

Local sheriff would sign off on the transfer of all the machine guns I have also.

Now with everything stored and my age it is not a consideration any more, I die here one way or another.

Last but not least, the temp here can and has gone to 30 below in past winters, hate going out the door then.

Everything is frozen, propane does not gasify, have inside tanks to switch over to in that case.

Diesel turns to jello, needs to be heated to flow.
I sure hope you know how much I've enjoyed your posts over the years, sharing your memories, hearing how you do things, how you live your life. We sure have different ways, you and me, and I like that cause we're each doing what works in our own situations and environments - and that's the key to any survival, imo: Knowing who we are, what we can do. I feel for the city folks who think they can run out into the woods and live because they've read a few books, or went camping a couple of times and ate some store-bought freeze-dried whatever. I appreciate that not everyone has had the opportunity, or what you and I have been blessed with.... and frankly, I have more respect for an urban dweller that figures out how to survive in their own surroundings - than someone who tries to do more or be more than they are or have. <--hope you get what I'm tryin to say there; I bet you do. I'd not last long in a city; the good news is I'll never have to try. LOL

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
I grew up and lived in a big city once, that now has over 5,500 cases of the virus and over 10,000 in the county.

Left soon after shooting two perps in my yard, sick of it all, was in 75.

Had a beautiful 15 room Victorian era house, still had the gas lights in it with the electric.

Everything had to be bolted down or it was stolen at night.

Doors had crossbars for extra security.

I had trouble at first sleeping here it was so quiet.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I grew up and lived in a big city once, that now has over 10,000 cases of the virus.

Left soon after shooting two perps in my yard, sick of it all, was in 75.

Had a beautiful 15 room Victorian era house, still had the gas lights in it with the electric.

Everything had to be bolted down or it was stolen at night.

Doors had crossbars for extra security.

I ahd trouble at first sleeping here it was so quiet.
I was a big city girl till my 30's; fled to save my sanity. Born wild I guess. LOL
Now - our closest town has 1800 people and I'm in and out as rarely and as fast as possible.
This large county is 1,425 square miles, has 13,000 people, and only 2 positive cases.

Almost didn't type that cause I know you're surrounded. I think you'll be fine though...
mebbe you're too crusty for a virus to latch onto. :vs_cool:

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
@MountainGirl, had to laugh at this last post,:vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh:

The city has a population of over 250,000 and with 5,500 cases of the virus.

I lived in a upper scale area that was destroyed while I watched with the section eight housing and relevant laws.

The trash moved in and the crime rate flew upward, housebreaks, stolen cars, smashed car windows and contents stolen.

I had a car window broken out over an empty JB scotch case, had books in it.

Whoever did it was pissed there was no booze in it, they threw the books all over the street.

Another incident is when they tried to steal my brothers brand new Thunderbird from the yard, last straw for me.

Now, two towns over, one town has allowed the section eight housing and the crime rate has gone up 10 times.

That started 4 years ago,

some of that trash is probably the ones I see coming down my private road it is marked as such and a dead end.

They slow down going in both directions and get a good look at my place, just let them try.

Police are now always at the local walmart picking up shoplifters.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Another thing on the fuel situation, there is enough peat in the lake to last a 100 years,

just have to dig it out and let it dry, depth of it is about 100 feet but only 2 feet under water even lower in the summer..

They were going to do a commercial operation removing it, but the environmentalist stopped it 20 years ago.

Most people today have no idea what it is, stage one of coal.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I been using them a lot lately. We built a fire pit and have been training our hunting dog bandit, I reworked and freshened up my four wheeler to sell for a mini truck. We saw a plane go over and it went down in the field past the grayson ranch, guy landed it but the bird was down a cyl so I went got the atv and tugged it out of there ever so gingerly. small planes are like literally made of wax paper and lawn chair tubing.

I've been growing a lot of stuff, made a really cool grow rack for the bay window. got it down to a 16/8 solar cycle everything perks up and gets really healthy under it very fast. Going to plant a pawpaw patch soon as I get them up to being outside. Got a deer and a turkey this year, earl my neighbor shot the biggest buck anyone ever saw it was like a small elk.

Other than the new tv's and internet I had run to the house, everything is the way it was in the 30's. I have a crapper toilet with copper pipes and no kitchen sink. clubfoot shower tub and a running sink in the bathroom are all you get. I imagine they had a wash basin or something at one point like we use. I have a korean floor unit AC and two small wood stoves, the one in the bedroom is really small. they get all 1000 square feet fairly toasty except the loft over the bedroom.

·
Banned
23,899 Posts
I been using them a lot lately. We built a fire pit and have been training our hunting dog bandit, I reworked and freshened up my four wheeler to sell for a mini truck. We saw a plane go over and it went down in the field past the grayson ranch, guy landed it but the bird was down a cyl so I went got the atv and tugged it out of there ever so gingerly. small planes are like literally made of wax paper and lawn chair tubing.

I've been growing a lot of stuff, made a really cool grow rack for the bay window. got it down to a 16/8 solar cycle everything perks up and gets really healthy under it very fast. Going to plant a pawpaw patch soon as I get them up to being outside. Got a deer and a turkey this year, earl my neighbor shot the biggest buck anyone ever saw it was like a small elk.

Other than the new tv's and internet I had run to the house, everything is the way it was in the 30's. I have a crapper toilet with copper pipes and no kitchen sink. clubfoot shower tub and a running sink in the bathroom are all you get. I imagine they had a wash basin or something at one point like we use. I have a korean floor unit AC and two small wood stoves, the one in the bedroom is really small. they get all 1000 square feet fairly toasty except the loft over the bedroom.
Well, as I live and breathe; you are still alive!

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Yeah lol "hiatus" I'm a friggin director now how you like that.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts