Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THANK GOD! As I have said my wife (though beautiful, sexy, funny, kind, caring, and generally wonderful) has always been a bit of a hippy. She's given me weird looks ever since I started getting interested in prepping. We both love the outdoors and the idea of living off grid but she's been very difficult to convince as far as stockpiling food and meds and buying weapons goes. Just a few moments ago though she turned away from the television and says to me, "If we're getting ready for the end of civilization or whatever, don't you think we should get some gas masks?"

I feel so relieved and proud right now. Please share some of your success stories.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My husband and son are finally coming around. I still get eye rolling from my son sometimes. My 2 sons that live in South Louisiana are still unbelievers. I really worry about them and my grandchildren. They are so prone to hurricanes and flooding.
My husband has been talking to the neighbors. They are not interested in the least. One neighbor knows I am a prepper and when she cleans out her pantry, she gives me her expired foods. I guess they will come here when SHTF.
I think I have some people I work with a little more aware. They are starting to ask me questions about storing food and other things.
It just amazes me that people can just disregard all the signs and just go on every day like nothing is happening. I just want to scream WAKE UP!!!!!!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
That's called a "keeper" mountainman!

I still can't actually prep much because I live at home!!! Argh, switching jobs killed my pocket books (had to buy a fancy looking wardrobe) only my best buddy knows that I"m interested in this, and he watches my Youtubes (acidlittle) which aren't geared towards prepping but he also dabbles in other videos about prepping, so he's probably 25% converted.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm trying to convert my wife. But she thinks its a waste of time and money. She is a live in the moment kind of girl. But is happy that I'm not spending money on toys and electronics. But still doesn't like the fact that I'm spending money on things that don't matter to us now. But I know that when the day comes and SHTF. She will be glad I was prepping.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got my wife into prepping. For years she thought I was a loon, but watching Doomsday Preppers together finally convinced her that prepping was necessary.

If anyone out there has a loved one or important people in their lives that still discourage prepping, I highly recommend watching Doomsday Preppers with them. Plus, just 20-30 minutes on various YouTube videos can be quite persuasive as well.

BIG difference between prepping alone vs prepping with loved ones!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've converted quite a few of my friends. A couple now have long term food and water stores along with complete bug out bags. The only thing we are missing as a whole is a permanent bug out location

·
Registered
18 Posts
A good way to start the conversation would be to ask if they know anyone that has life insurenece. Then ask why people have life insurance and explain that instead of putting money into an account so my family doesn't have to worry about bills and other expenses when I'm gone, I'm putting canned food in my pantry for when the food is unavalible and they need it to live.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My wife is pretty much on board with me doing it, but not as a lifestyle at this point. She sees the benefit,and that doing it doesn't hurt us. The eldest daughter understands it,but still thinks its weird that I am doing it. Brother in law is semi into the same stuff, nephew thinks its awesome, he's eleven lol, but other than that, no

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have several friends that kind of started it around the same time that I did. We didn't know it at the time. I have others thinking and talking but not doing it yet. My family just looks at me kinda weird and nods then changes the subject. I love it when somebody asks "What if nothing happens?" I just tell them "I guess I'll have alot of extra food and supplies!" then I say "What are you going to do if something DOES happen, cause I'm not sharing."

·
Registered
70 Posts
My wife is pretty much on board with me doing it, but not as a lifestyle at this point. She sees the benefit,and that doing it doesn't hurt us. The eldest daughter understands it,but still thinks its weird that I am doing it. Brother in law is semi into the same stuff, nephew thinks its awesome, he's eleven lol, but other than that, no
This is my situation just about verbatim.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Converting people or trying to educate them can/and is very hard sometimes. Really the best thing you can do is just plant the worst scenario into their heads and hope it wakes them up. Yes I do believe in trying to show neighbors and friends, cause if anything does actually happen and those nah Sayers don't prep and then are in a world of hurt, who do you think they might turn on first? In my opinion its easier to try and help them now, then having to use deadly force on them later. In my house, if you are anti prepare and you have nothing but needs to bring to my family, well then sorry but you will just become target practice to me.

Charles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Only my wife. Even then I have to feed it to her in small increments. It just kills me though that when the power goes out during the day while I am at work, she will text me to let me know and then when I get home the "plan" is to go out to eat that night. I have told other that I thought were open minded enough to deal with the realities of it all. Some have made a few life changes, but beyond that, no. I have received a couple of the "I know where I'm going in a distaster: Your house." jokes that always make me cringe. I've come to the conclusion that if someone is going to have a meaningful change the person must become enlightened by themselves. Other than that you will become the center of their distaster planning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you had seen my previous posts prepping is not even heard of in New Zealand - I got into it off my own back after watching my government start to crumble and all the research, countless documentries, reading and magical green spliffs I decided it was time.

I have managed to get my boss, friends and others into it and even since national geographic's tv show doomsdays preppers had only just come on television last week here in New Zealand people were starting to see what I had been saying for the last two years - it is time to start getting ready.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have converted 15 of my Fraternity brothers. At first all 50 of them thought I was crazy but slowly they some kept asking my questions about it. Some now do it full time when not in school and others do it as a hobby.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My friends all think I'm crazy, and my family just tolerates it. To be honest I haven't been telling people about my prep that much any more because I don't want anyone else to decide that if SHTF they could just rob me for my stuff.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My friends all think I'm crazy, and my family just tolerates it. To be honest I haven't been telling people about my prep that much any more because I don't want anyone else to decide that if SHTF they could just rob me for my stuff.
You are a wise fellow!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I am getting my hubby on board with prepping. He loves the guns and ammo part but is now seeing that the rest s necessities also. Still have a ways to go but he is getting there. He did buy a wheat grinder and wheat.... I love to bake

1 - 20 of 32 Posts