Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I'm wrong you guys tell me where my train left the tracks
I been think about this and if you look at how many AR-15s have been sold the United States and how many have been used in some terrible crime I don't think it would even show up as part of a percentage on the common sense radar screen. Almost all the rifles sold in the U.S. were bought for defense. Just once I would like to hear some news caster refer to the AR-15 as a Defense Rifle.
But will never happen will it? How many "Assault Rifles" are used to protect and defend the people that want to take my ability to defend my family?

Own a assault rifle? Not me,, Mine is a "Defense rifle"

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
The term Assault Rifle was coined to make this rifle sound as evil as it looks. The technical name for this particular item is Sporting Rifle.

·
Registered
570 Posts
An AR isn't an "assault rifle". An assault rifle is a a rifle chambered in an intermediate cartridge with select fire capability. An AR is a semi-automatic rifle. ARs get labeled with the term "assault rifle" by the media because it's a scary term that people don't know or understand, and therefore it is bad.

Oh, and the News will refer to ARs as "defense rifles" or "personal defense weapons" from time to time; of course, this is only in connection to DHS or LEOs buying or using them. Regular civilians aren't special enough to have that term applied to them.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
This is the government's new approach for the sheeple. To give things completely misleading labels like assault rifle, the patriot act ( what is patriotic about giving up freedom). War on drugs (used as a means to curtail freedoms), war on terror ( take away any freedoms not taken away by the war on drugs). The dream act ( it sure isn't my dream to give illegal aliens more rights then we have as citizens).
The words sniper rifle is now being refered to as any high powere rifle with a telescopic sight on it.

Some new words:
A person of interest = someone they are planing on blaming.
Shelter in place= forceable locked in your own home.
Weapon of mass destruction= exploding pressure cooker.
Resisting arrest = universal reason to allow anyone to be arrested.
I am sure there are a lot more.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Thought the AR in AR-15 was a designator by Armalite corp the original designing company of the AR.
Easy to see how the media would run the way they did with AR.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
It, to me is media based, just like in the early 90's, any "gun story" showed a "black revolver" behind the newscaster. The reports of the latest Albequerque shooting, which I haven't read up on yet, mentioned "assailant was wearing fatigues"..Food for thought.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thought the AR in AR-15 was a designator by Armalite corp the original designing company of the AR.
Easy to see how the media would run the way they did with AR.
Yep. The AR in AR-15 stands for "Armalite Rifle". Same reason why the later weapons by Armalite used the same terminology, like the AR-18.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I call mine the "poodle shooter".

·
Administrator
15,108 Posts
A baseball bat is an assault weapon if I hit someone with it.

·
Administrator
15,108 Posts
I named my Ishvesk Mosin Nagant M-44 "My little blonde babushka thunder boomer." 'Cause she has such a pretty blonde stock.

Reactions: Inor and Meangreen

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The term Assault Rifle was initially invented to get around Hitler's micro management of weapons procurement. He preferred the turn bolt Mauser 98 pattern he had used in WWI. The line troops on the Eastern Front in WWII found the select fire intermediate cartridge StG 44 to be more suited to their needs. Thankfully Hitlers obstructionism insured the rifle went into mass production too late to significantly impact the outcome of the war.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Honestly, I don't have a problem calling an AR or an AK or a PTR91 or a CETME or anything of that nature an "assault rifle" - who cares? The term was coined by the Germans with the StG44 and all of these weapons look pretty much like the StG44 (better known as the MP44). Hey, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.
Except that they don't in fact quack like a duck. I agree with the rest of your post, but there are key differences between a civilian AR or PTR and an M4 or G3. Mainly, no happy switch on the former, while it is on the latter, and it was used on the MP43/MP44/StG44 "Sturmgewehr". Many of the key components have been changed or modified to prevent automatic fire on ARs or weapons like the PTR. Full auto, or at least some form of select-fire capability is the key component for the weapon type.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts