Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With what happened yesterday in Boston, has that changed where you might now go? Inor and I live in suburbia (for now) about forty five minutes from the MOA (Mall of America). Years ago we used to go there for supper and some people watching - relatively cheap entertainment. I was there last just over a year ago. I don't think I will go there again.

Will you or do you think people will start to stay away from places where many people congregate? I'm thinking stadiums, amusement parks, malls, etc.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Nope - $#!+ Happens...

That being said, I'm ALWAYS on edge in a crowd. Just like animals at the watering hole on the Serengeti, so are malls and department stores in the 1st world countries. That's were predators strike. I still go where I want, when I want. I'm a free man not a servant to a king or a subject to people who bring terror. And one day I will die. Statistically speaking that will be 40 years from now due to heart disease or cancer, but if it happens tomorrow at the grocery store because some jack-hole set off a grenade in the produce department, then so be it.

yhst-50863389838911_2258_13554253.gif

·
Administrator
15,001 Posts
The only time I'm in the city is commuting 5 days a week into work in the ghetto of Jacksonville, Florida. It's bad enough around here that if it was bombed no one would know. It's almost 50 miles from here to our farm. Thank God!
We actually live on a dead end dirt road 6 miles outside a one stop light town, and if we really need something that can not be gotten in town we go to the other side of the county we live in (Lowes, Walmart, the beach, etc).
This is just our normal way of life, nothing will change.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Have to agree GT and my sentiments exactly. Don't know when it happened but this nation has turned in to a group of people afraid of most things.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Not at all. I love large cities. Terrible things happen all the time. You can't let that crap dictate your life. Be ready and enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My daughter qualified for Boston, and then couldn't run due to a medical condition. This would not stop her, nor me, from going next time. Bad people are everywhere. I am heartbroken for those killed and injured by this attack, and the best way to get revenge, is to go on living a full life.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I rarely attend large crowd events or sporting events anymore, primarily because I don't like bucking the crowds and traffic. My last pro football game I attended in person was ten years ago. The tickets are expensive, the seats are small and uncomfortable, you have to sit next to drunk knuckleheads who want to exercise their vocal chords, the food and drinks are totally overpriced, you have to pay for parking, and you have to shuffle along in a crowd getting in and out. No thanks.

I don't even go to concerts anymore - I just buy the new CD/DVD from the band - that way you can listen to it any time you want, and for less than the price of one ticket.

I go to malls and go shopping, but I do it in off hours to avoid the crowds - I just don't like having to walk around numbskulls who leave their cart in the middle of the aisle while they study some trivial purchase to figure out how to save two cents on a stick of deodorant....

If I never have to go to another airport in my life, it would be just fine with me. I try to never ride on public transportation if I can avoid it somehow.

I have a very high spacial tolerance - I do not like people invading my personal space. I am absolutely miserable riding on an airplane.

So, no actions by nut jobs will cause me to change my attendance of public events - I don't go anymore anyway. I would rather go fishing, or ride my motorcycle or ATV, or go to the range....

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I was raised a city boy growing up in San Diego and the only thing I miss from the San Diego are the beaches and the ocean where I surfed almost everyday, truly my happiest memories. My job has taken me to some of the most out of the way places and some of the largest cities. I have worked safeguarding some of the countries largest events like the 4th of July in Washington DC and the White House Christmas Tree lighting. I was even given a commemorative badge when I worked Obama's inauguration, I sold it to a coworker for $50 bucks. Most of my career I have been stationed in tiny little towns along the Southwestern border. There is a peace in the desert. Meteor showers, finding a arrowhead on a hike, having a beer by the campfire as the sun sets. No traffic jams, high crime, and never have to wait in line. You never really need to use a turn signal because everyone already know where your going :) When I have to travel to large cities now, it's with despair because I will have to deal with big city problems. We as a family go camping and not to the theme parks. Crowds and traffic are to be avoided and I truly believe I will be a small town person for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have trended towards avoiding large crowds over the last few years. The one exception is baseball. Baseball is life, and I will endure the unwashed masses for baseball:mrgreen:

As to whether or not I would let the events in Boston dictate how I live my life, hell no. I'm one more prone to being willing to go out standing on my feet rather than live on my knees just to live in peace.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
No, if I change because of them they win.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'm with the rest of them, these guys aren't about to make me change my way of life. Personally I'd prefer to stay away from crowds anyway, just don't have the tolerance for stupidity that I used to but I'm not giving in to terrorists because they might blow up some place I'd like to go.

-Infidel

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have to agree with Vert on the crowd thing. I am just not fond of crowds, never was. If I don't go to something, it is because I don't like getting my shoes puked on by some loaded person at a concert, or getting shoved or pushed, or having my car dented. I would rather commune with nature on a desolate mountain top. I don't go to malls much either. I'm not much into buying what they have there. Traffic in crowded cities scares me, when I don't know where I am going. If you ever sat in the passenger seat with my husband driving, you would not be excited to drive in a strange city either. It's bad enough when he knows where he is going.

I give in now and then and go with hubby to a major league baseball game, or a Big Ten Football game, but, if he has some buddy to go with, I gladly forego my ticket to them.

Airports are awful and the last time we flew we had our 2 year old grandson with us, and it was extremely hard. I was put thru that naked screener machine, because I guess I fit their profile for a terrorist, being a pasty white elfin looking grandma and all. I'm thinking next time I would rather drive, I don't care how far it is. Once a TSA person told me I looked nervous. I said I was, because, I wasn't a frequent flyer and I was in the Denver airport all by myself. Yeah, that makes me nervous. Another time I flew, I ended up with a person who worked for airline security sitting next to me. She told me at the end of the flight, that it was her job to spy on the airline staff to make sure they follow protocols. Once I ended up with a middle eastern man sitting next to me and he was sweating and gripping his armrests. He finally fessed up that he was afraid to fly. We made friends and he enjoyed looking at my log home magazines, lol, and was very grateful for the distraction, but for a while there, before I spoke with him, I thought his underwear could blow up. I dunno, flying is a pain in the butt these days. So are crowds. I just prefer to gravitate to the less populated places on the planet, where I can experience some serenity and see wildlife, the real kind.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I don't go to big cities. No reason to. Haven't flown commercial since well before 9/11. It was bad enough then.

I agree with what has been said above. If we change our lifestyle because of things like this; the terrorists win.
The HE!! with them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts