Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed that water storage barrels have become unavailable, or when you can find them cost 2-3x what they cost 2 months ago.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Those and a lot of other supplies, like canning jars are difficult to find.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Kind of like weapons and ammo signs of the time

·
Registered
50 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that water storage barrels have become unavailable, or when you can find them cost 2-3x what they cost 2 months ago.
Not sure where you're from - but I've seen the rain barrels available at the Sam's in Birmingham, and canning supplies are everywhere, Walmart is especially stocked (they said it used to be a seasonal item but sold well enough they have them all the time now.) It may be a local/regional sell-out in you area, or possibly the stuff didn't sell well enough for them to keep stocked all the time. Don't know.

·
Super Moderator
9,232 Posts
Not sure where you're from - but I've seen the rain barrels available at the Sam's in Birmingham, and canning supplies are everywhere, Walmart is especially stocked (they said it used to be a seasonal item but sold well enough they have them all the time now.) It may be a local/regional sell-out in you area, or possibly the stuff didn't sell well enough for them to keep stocked all the time. Don't know.
If that's the case the you could buy from walmart online and have it shipped to the store, you pay tax but no shipping.

·
Registered
143 Posts
What is a good price to pay for these? I've been looking at 55 gallon plastic drums, and I can find used ones all over craigslist. The only problem I have with that is that they are used.. Some say what were in them, and they say it won't affect water taste but I'm not sure if I can trust that. I've found this on Costco but it seems pricey. But, It comes with a pump and two filters, and is bpa free. Shelf Reliance® Deluxe BPA Free 55-gallon Barrel Water Storage System
Thoughts?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I drive by a guy everyday who sells the syrup drums from his house. His stock is out where you can see it, so I saw it drop some before Dec 21, but big reduction since then.

It is time to start investing in rain water catchment for my garden, so I will have to pay him a visit soon.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My local IGA store stocks and sells brand new blue plastic water barrels for about $65.00 each. I went in and talked to the owner about a year ago, and he started stocking up on auguson farms foods , bulk rice and wheat and water barrels. That may be all you need to get them in your local store. Not the chain stores, but the local independant stores.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've found that brewery's sometimes have acid/bases in plastic barrels used for cleaning their product lines. In New Zealand, I got them for free. Here in the US, for a couple of bucks.

Just give them a rinse out with dish soap a few times and the acid/base will be gone. Then you're good to go.

·
Registered
81 Posts
weve got them all over. its just a 55gal plastic barrel with a inlet on the top and a hose outlet on the bottom. extremely easy to make, as far as that goes you can use a 55gal garbage can and get the same results

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
I went out on the back side of the hill with my backhoe and dug a 6-8 foot hole. Kind of like the Beverly Hillbillies, fresh water is no longer an issue. Nice fresh spring water and we are in a major drought.
Glad I live here. All the fresh water I'll need. Plus it's attracting lots of game. Only water for over a mile in any direction.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Kingsize water bed holds 250 gals +/-

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Local hardware store sales them & the last batch they got in were $5 more per barrel but they do have them & $5 isn't the same as what happened with the price of firearms & ammo. And they are still having trouble getting ammo in, very spurratic in what they get for ammo.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
No food grade water barrels available here in NM but I found terracotta rain barrels that I’m going to use in my rainwater catchment system. I figured why not use a little Mexican know how. There is a reason why their called Mexicans and not Mexicants ;) I will let you know how it works.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There should be no reason to pay for them barrels, especially when if you look around you can find places willing to let them go for nothing. Just be creative in looking and you'll get the knack. you might just find more than you need.... well, more anyway. just nothing with nasty chemicals. Aside from those like Nuklhed's barrels containing acid from breweries, which is fine since they can be washed out. Also, watch for the whole digging holes in the ground to collect water. Gary Harrington is probably still fighting going to jail for his water collection in Oregon

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Around here:

55 gallon barrels are from $15-$100. Local feed store has them for $15. Most had soy sauce, vinegar, etc. that's where I get mine.

IBC totes are $100 for 275 gallons and $150 for 330 gallons.

Canning supplies are getting expensive. But still available. I last saw a 12 pack of pint jars for $18. WOW.

But the local ace has them for $12-$13 and with my $5 off coupon, I get them for around $8 :D

It's getting ridiculous :(

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
No food grade water barrels available here in NM but I found terracotta rain barrels that I'm going to use in my rainwater catchment system. I figured why not use a little Mexican know how. There is a reason why their called Mexicans and not Mexicants ;) I will let you know how it works.
Are they glazed? if not the water will stay cool but it won't last very long. Holy crap, just realized how old this thread is. How did those barrels work Meangreen?

·
Registered
21,136 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts