1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Won't cause me to rethink much. These are done and posted all of the time different groups The FBI ect. Result tend to reflect what they want. There are no magic bullets.
The best round is the one you used when you killed the BG.
Simple small sub compacts go a little lighter, compacts a little heavier, full size go as heavy as you want. You have a lot of wiggle room to work with.
Focus on hitting the target no so much on the round.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Interesting data. The golden saber 185 gr would appear (on paper) to be the best 45acp based on expansion and 15 inches of penetration.

If you lime to read about terminal ballistics then grab a copy of Handgun Stopping Power by Sanow & Marshall. If ur too cheap to buy the book, then order it intra-libraryloan. They rank ammo based on actual street shootings. Verrrry fascinating stuff. Also discusses other studies like the goat tests. Some of the results in ammo performance were surprising.

·
Banned
4,010 Posts
Better to have cheap ammo you can hit the target with than great expanding hollowpoints full of TNT and goat piss that you miss with.
practice, practice, practice with the ammo you intend to carry.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I look at this stuff but just don't get all fired up about it. Daughter carries a 380, loaded with 95gr flat nose rounds. They do a great job in the 380 for personal defense .
No doubts about her ability to hit the target.
wife has 124 GR SEMI JACKET HOLLOW POINTS in her .38 They seem to fill the largest number of needs in that weapon. I stick with 124gr JHP in my SR9C.
Come SHTF I have a shtf load of 115gr ball.
If that don't kill them I guess the AR would have been a better choice.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Two in the chest and one in the head..can make the Jolly Green Giant drop dead.
Why not just one to the head and save ammo

·
Registered
928 Posts
I use Hornaday's critical defense in my carry gun but if I run out I would use my own cast lead bullets and be very confident with them..

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Fancy bullets are pretty and all, impressive stats too. But in the end they only expand about 10-15% more than plain ol' bullets at $1.30 per round vs. about $0.40.
I do have some of them but, just stick with the major brands and hollow points and you'll be just fine.
Remember that plain or fancy, the bullet can only do it's job if you do yours.
Remember the real estate slogan, "Location, Location, Location"! (shot placement)

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
There ya go. Good shots can do that..if they dont get buck fever. Starting out with center of mass works most times.
My training was simple keep shooting until threat has been stopped. Must work I am still here.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Dang. After reading a few of those posts I gotta really recommend some formal homework for y'all.

http://www.amazon.com/Handgun-Stopping-Power-Definitive-Study/dp/0873646533

These studies are based on actual street shootings (unlike Fackler's work which tries to determine stopping power by shooting gelatin.) They also cover dozens of other ammo tests done by fed & state agencies. I think these guys have a 3rd book out now. Fascinating stuff, you'll read cover to cover and mark passages like it was yer bible. Really, there is some cool stuff in their books. Before I read them I too suffered from mistaken beliefs about my ammo.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
RR is right, and for those too cheap to buy the book Handgun Cartridge Power Chart - Condensed Version

This is a slightly older compilation of the data gathered by Sanow and Marshall

And with respect to the FBI tests they were looking at a specific failure of a Winchester Silver Tip that didn't cut the hydraulic lines on the Bad guy in the Maimi Shoot out back in 85

Reactions: Logout

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You cannot kill David Soul with a single shot from a 9mm.* It's in his contract!

*Obscure reference to a made-for-TV reenactment of the legendary FBI-Miami shootout that spurred the FBI tests (that eventually determined that the 230gr hydrashok was the optimum duty cartridge against all barriers.)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts