Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious as to why I read on forums that so many people are against manual safeties on their handguns. I've also noticed a lot of people don't care for the magazine disconnect. I've read pro's and con's as to having a manual safety. Many say in law enforcement that if someone get's ahold of the cops gun, it will buy the cop some time since the perp will need some time to switch it off safe.

Anyway, I guess I don't see the big deal either way. Curious what the thoughts are of people on this forum in regards to manual safeties and magazine disconnects. Or, do you prefer the Glock style of firearm where it's always ready to go? Just seems like this issue get's personal for some on different forums and I wanted to see what the thoughts were on here.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I prefer a manual safety because of the issue of a wrestling match, more trigger accidental discharge protection if dropped or it falls off somewhere or out of the holster and general safety for various users. The main argument I've ever heard from people who don't like them is that they don't want to think about it when they need to use their gun, but I mainly hear when that's said, they don't like to think much. I've never had a problem as a manual safety is simply a training aspect. You train, just like with a rifle to flip the safety off till it becomes second nature. Some people are lazy and don't want to train. And accident happen, same as when someone gets lazy about checking the chamber and takes it for granted a guns not loaded when it only takes a second to look.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I dont have an issue either way,I was trained to carry loaded chamber with safety on,click safety off upon draw.it becomes second nature.and, my revolvers dont have safeties,I am the safety.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I prefer a manual safety, also a external hammer. I understand the thinking that messing with a safety in a high stress situation is one more thing to fumble with but like Fuzzee wrote that is what training is for.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Safety no safety does not madder it is training that does.
Same with Mag safety many self shooting or shooting of a by stander happen when the mag has been removed and a round in the chamber bang it is fired. Mag safety prevents this. Argument against mag safety is meaningless "if I am in a fight and need to change mags it will slow me down and prevent firing my last round" If you are in that fight you should have moved long ago of found a better place to hang out.
Personally I like Decocks the function in a different way than a safety but do the same thing better.
Small carry weapons like Ruger LC9 have long trigger pulls for a reason they are most often carried as a CC with safety not used.
If you train to use your saftey you should do just fine.
But in the end your call.

Reactions: trainershawn

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input so far. I guess it also depends on what the intended use of the firearm is. My nightstand gun has no safety. However, my EDC, a Ruger LC9 does. I'm looking at getting an M&P compact as a new EDC and am thinking of going the route of a safety. It can always be carried with it on or off. Lot's of good points made so far. Especially about the mag disconnect and accidental shootings. Sad how many times someone has probably dropped the magazine, thinks the gun is empty and then someone get's hurt or killed. I've also seen people use the argument that since revolvers didn't have safeties, they are not needed on semi autos. But again, I think it comes down to the intended use of the firearm and whether or not you like to carry your EDC with one in the chamber or not.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Problem with a magazine safety is it affects the trigger pull. Remove the mag safety & like having an expensive trigger job done.

A manual safety is simply just safer. Trigger is accidently touched in some way the firearm is not going to discharge.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
The issue I is some people do not even know that their chamber is hot or not.it takes training,and you have to know your firearm(s)through repitition.over and over again until that you can become one with the particular or,all your firearms

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Weapons with fast soft triggers are not for personal defense they are paper punchers.
Any weapon with a modified trigger should have a functioning safety and it should be used

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
In my younger years in the military the manual safety on a 1911 was to me essential and I never failed to take the weapon off safe before deploying it. Later years I came to like revolvers and Glock. Both types are doable both have specific advantages in different situations. Consider your likely needs and circumstances then Train!!!

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
It all comes down to training.
I was trained on the 1911 manual of arms, chamber loaded, safety on.
Revolvers do not have manual safeties, Glocks also do not.
Train with what you use, train a lot.
Magazine disconnect, no way---

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I feel safeties sometimes give a false sense of security, ie: it won't fire, the safetys on. Safeties are mechanical devices which can fail, as anything mechanical. I have to side with those that believe the best safety is between your ears. Also I believe in keeping it simple, Triggers like glocks and others have are proven really dependable.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I carry a Kimber 1911 so a manual safety is a must for me, not an issue it just requires enough practice to develop the muscle memory to sweep the safety off when drawing. Magazine disconnect on the other hand is a bigger issue for me. My reasoning is that if you get in a scuffle or the bad guy somehow gets his hand on your gun and the magazine release gets hit then the magazine falls out. With a magazine disconnect you have just turned your last line of defense from a firearm into a hammer. I currently find myself drawn to the Ruger LCP as a pocket pistol for those times when the 1911 is just not going to cut it but with the magazine disconnect this is a non starter for me, if I could disable said disconnect like I did in my Ruger Mark III I might consider it still. By the way the previous poster that said it affects the trigger pull is absolutely correct, when I removed the disconnect on my Mark III it was a world of difference in the trigger even though I removed it more for disassembly convenience.

-Infidel

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
The only handgun that needs a safety, in my humble opinion, is a single action semi-auto such as the 1911, which I have always carried "cocked and locked". Otherwise, there is no need for one as I want my weapon ready to go and not have to worry about fumbling with a safety when the life or death pressure is on. As you mentioned about Police and "having that extra second or two"; that can be a two way street when you're rolling around on the ground or fighting for your life. Those extra seconds could be the advantage the bad guy needs as well.

In a "for your life" situation, you lose fine motor skills and gross motor skills take over. If that moment occurs, which is easier? Threading a fine needle, or throwing a rope into the Grand Canyon?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have no dog in this fight. If I have a firearm with a safety, I'll train with it accordingly. Without.... Same deal. It is up to the shooter to be diligent with whatever he/she chooses.

·
Administrator
14,873 Posts
Over on Survivalist Boards there is a long thread going that started when one member detailed re-holstering his internal safety pistol and having the holster interact enough with the trigger to put a bullet into (and out of) his thigh. Complete with pictures of the wound. He did the post as a public service announcement. He also accepted his role in the matter.
I only own a few autos: some 1911's, a Walther P-1, a Colt 1903, and a Ruger MkIII. I'm mainly a revolver guy.
Revolvers are always ready.

Reactions: PaulS and Fuzzee

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Over on Survivalist Boards there is a long thread going that started when one member detailed re-holstering his internal safety pistol and having the holster interact enough with the trigger to put a bullet into (and out of) his thigh. Complete with pictures of the wound. He did the post as a public service announcement. He also accepted his role in the matter.I only own a few autos: some 1911's, a Walther P-1, a Colt 1903, and a Ruger MkIII. I'm mainly a revolver guy.
Revolvers are always ready.
He's far from the first either. It's not an uncommon thing.

·
Banned
148 Posts
The main argument I've ever heard from people who don't like them is that they don't want to think about it when they need to use their gun, but I mainly hear when that's said, they don't like to think much. I've never had a problem as a manual safety is simply a training aspect. You train, just like with a rifle to flip the safety off till it becomes second nature. Some people are lazy and don't want to train. And accident happen, same as when someone gets lazy about checking the chamber and takes it for granted a guns not loaded when it only takes a second to look.
I don't think people who like guns without safeties don't like to think much. I hope it's not true in my case.:-? One of my reasons I prefer guns without safeties they are easier to train people with. It's one less step that you have to teach someone when training. I agree one less thing they have to think about.

I still say there is no better safety than the one between your ears!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts