Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came up with the idea of using solar yard lights paired with trip-wires to establish the battery contact. Place them in various locations and at night you have a distant simple signal to anyone on watch that there is movement in that location. somebody trips the wire, the batteries contact and the light goes on..

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you want them to know you know they are there, that's a good idea. Hiding the light will be problematic though as the panels need to see the sun and can't be camoflaged.

My method is to use trip wires like this....

Except I'm using 920nm leds that I can see with my NODS.

If it's an area I want to warn them to stay out of I use this...

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Cloths pin trip, 9v battery, #10 electric, 1# block of TNT will do the trick, no frag attached, just blast wave.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
I came up with the idea of using solar yard lights paired with trip-wires to establish the battery contact. Place them in various locations and at night you have a distant simple signal to anyone on watch that there is movement in that location. somebody trips the wire, the batteries contact and the light goes on..
Solar lights with motion detectors???

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Solar lights with motion detectors???
Motion detectors better. Some cover > 180 degrees/40-60', and will reset after a: skunk, fox, coyote, deer........trips it.

They also make remote motion sensors to turn on an electric outlet. Several of those can be setup for the same outlet.

Next time you are at the range with a few buddies, tape a couple minutes of free fire, then hook that up for playback over some good outdoor speakers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
They constantly are going on and off all night from wind in trees, I have them because it keeps the cougars away from the sheep, but to deter someone they would just walk around the detection zone.

·
Administrator
14,685 Posts
The clothes pin/trip wire trick was used with claymore mines in mechanical ambushes in Vietnam.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3-sided box with open top directs the glow to where I want to see it 800 yds away, have no trees to hook up to here. I don't really want them to know I know they are there right away. it is more of a Loooong distance alert for me was the idea. bouncing betties are for closer in LOL.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
They constantly are going on and off all night from wind in trees, I have them because it keeps the cougars away from the sheep, but to deter someone they would just walk around the detection zone.
Mount your sensors higher and angle them down so they are not pointing at trees/brush. They make lights that will work with multiple sensors, or add more lights.

·
Registered
68 Posts
...Place them in various locations and at night you have a distant simple signal to anyone on watch that there is movement in that location...
@Mad Trapper
YMMV, but I've seen bugs, birds, tree limbs all trigger motion lights, I want something positive without false positives if it's used to detect people in SHTF. I don't want them knowing they were detected either.

I've not seen any multi-lite setups that use solar panels, only the combo sensor/lamps type like the ones I got from COSTCO. Shoot me a link if you have one.

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
Even a small dog, barking like hell, will make an intruder stop ad think. It will usually wake up the homeowner too.

Now a dog like my 3.. 1. Bark 2. Bark 3. Eat. Me.. go back to sleep.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Even a small dog, barking like hell, will make an intruder stop ad think. It will usually wake up the homeowner too.

Now a dog like my 3.. 1. Bark 2. Bark 3. Eat. Me.. go back to sleep.
Pigs are smarter than dogs. A 400 lb boar would take care of things. Just got to train him well.

And no leftovers to worry about. :tango_face_grin:

P.S. ever had a pet pig?

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Leftovers.. too funny.

No never had a pet pig.. always seemed to wind up on the dinner table.
Look at reruns of "Green Acres"."arnold", not real but funny.....

Pigs are damm smart. Anybody who says not, never been a farmer/raised pigs........

Been there done that..........

Pig shit is good in the garden let it rot 2 years.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my vision is for them to act as a signal up to a mile away (lots of open space here) cover my roads and sends silent signal to Observation Post. Yes an intruder may see them, but so would watch. and 800yd distance from OP allows for prep time on how to deal with em.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts