·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Nurseholly,
do you know how it is transmitted?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
isn't this flu both airborne and direct contact... its a nasty bug that kills the old, young and sick...

·
Registered
966 Posts
One of the biggest health concerns each winter is flu season. And the Centers for Disease Control says the flu is widespread in four southern states: Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.

In some cases, it has turned deadly.

Dustin Wright, 30, of Euless, Texas, came down with the flu the week before Thanksgiving. His wife Ashley Wright recalled, "He was achy, feverish, and chilled, nothing really more than that."

Ashley Wright says a few days later, the husband and father was struggling to breathe, so she rushed him to the emergency room. Doctors told her he had the H1N1 strain -- swine flu. On December 5, he died.

Ashley Wright said, "You don't think it would happen to you, you know. We always worried about my son getting the flu shot. We're never really worried about the two of us because you don't really hear about any of this. You don't think it will happen to you."

At least five people have died from flu in Texas -- all from swine flu. Health authorities say this year's flu vaccine can prevent swine flu and several other flu strains, if people get vaccinated. Last year, according to the CDC, only 45 percent of Americans got the flu shot.

Dr. Christopher Perkins, medical director for Dallas County Health and Human Services, said, "When things are quiet, people tend to let their guard down. But when there are a lot of bells and whistles going on, a lot of flu cases, and people hospitalized, actually some succumbing to death, then that gets a lot of attention. And we get overwhelmed with people seeking out the vaccine."

Neither Dustin Wright nor his wife had a flu shot.
Asked what she wants people to know and think about, Ashley Wright replied, "That things like this happen in your own backyard. You don't think it will, but it does."

Experts say peak flu season is February, so there is still time to get a shot that could save your life.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If the news report is correct, it is one of the strains covered by this years flu shot...

At least I hope so, I've had my flu shot.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just started to feel something coming on.. It started with a tightness in my chest followed with wheezing. Usually with the h1n1 it takes anywhere from 5 to 7 days after being exposed for symptoms to show up. Fever and body aches can be treated with nsaids, Tylenol or ibuprofen and lots of fluid. Elderly, under 2 and pregnant women are most susceptible due to compromised immune systems. There are anti virals such as tamiflu that can help. A humidifier to help liquid secretions and vapour rub can help with breathing. Most importantly, wash your hands. Regardless if it's the antibacterial stuff or not, the physical scrubbing motion with warm water kills more germs than anything.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Last flu shot I got was a couple years ago. I then got the flu - twice. The drugstore offering flu shots for ten or fifteen bucks won't give me one because I have a compromised immune system (no spleen). To go to the doctor and get one will cost me a minimum of one hundred and fifty dollars. I don't even have to see a doctor, that is what it costs just to get into an exam room. So I will take my chances.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just started to feel something coming on.. It started with a tightness in my chest followed with wheezing. Usually with the h1n1 it takes anywhere from 5 to 7 days after being exposed for symptoms to show up. Fever and body aches can be treated with nsaids, Tylenol or ibuprofen and lots of fluid. Elderly, under 2 and pregnant women are most susceptible due to compromised immune systems. There are anti virals such as tamiflu that can help. A humidifier to help liquid secretions and vapour rub can help with breathing. Most importantly, wash your hands. Regardless if it's the antibacterial stuff or not, the physical scrubbing motion with warm water kills more germs than anything.
Hang in there. Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I remember when my wife caught Swine Flu. I was still working at a prison went into work and they said they had more staff on shift than they needed. I said the wife was sick and I'd like to go home. The shift supervisor asked what was wrong I said Swine Flu and suddenly people are backing away from me. These folks work around HIV and Hep C on a regular basis and they were skittish as all get out. Cautious good precautions Great. But unless the Flu does it for you don't get your bowels in an uproar.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Check on what happened with the Spanish Flu that occurred towards the end or right after WW1. It actually killed more people then the war. There were stories of people feeling fine while having breakfast with their families in the morning and being dead by the end of the day. In the United States in many large cities they actually had to resort to mass graves because they couldn't bury individuals fast enough. It's happened before, it can happen again, and it will start something like this.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
The toll in Texas is now up to 13. Time to get the shot...
Read that in the local news today. Quite a few in my city. I think the last time I received a flu shot was 20 years ago. I'm considering it but I also don't like all the crap they put in it too. My wife is allergic to them. We think the daughter had it but over a week later we are fine.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I rarely get the flu and never get the shots. My immune system seems to be in good shape - at least over the past 45 years. I guess we will see how this all turns out. I am a long way from Texas and here the weather is still quite cold. I don't know how the virus responds to temperatures but most often they just go dormant and do not die off. My guess is that they are not sensitive to UV unless it is in concentrated doses. I wash my hands often but rarely use any of the dedicated "anti bacterial" soaps - just dish washing liquid. I am glad that I am once again operating with two good lungs (the right lung was paralyzed due to nerve damage but was repaired with neck surgery).

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Well of course I got it from my wife Nurseholly but in good hands. It is really fast moving and went thru the usual symptoms and now it's more of a upper respiratory infection with gravely breathing, coughing with mucus and blood mix. I'm treating with the usual over the counter stuff and lots of tea (honey, cinnamon, other natural goodies). Not a good way to start a vacation.

·
Super Moderator
9,646 Posts
Well of course I got it from my wife Nurseholly but in good hands. It is really fast moving and went thru the usual symptoms and now it's more of a upper respiratory infection with gravely breathing, coughing with mucus and blood mix. I'm treating with the usual over the counter stuff and lots of tea (honey, cinnamon, other natural goodies). Not a good way to start a vacation.
I EXPECT to see you in June so take care of yourself.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.