Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's hard to attach the tragedy in Newtown to this situation, but it's a fact. When 20 kids and 8 adults needlessly die and the nanny state reaction is against gun ownership instead of preventing such tragedy by getting rid of gun free target rich environments we have a situation with ammo supplies, a threat against magazines of more than 10 rounds, and semi automatic weapons with military like features. The results in an unregulated, free, and capitalist society.....well you know the results.

PMags and other 30 round AR magazines $50
Bulk 223/556 going for $600/800
Colt LE 6920's over $2000. Polymer lowers $350
Etc, etc, etc

While I think we will win the debate against the AW Ban, and we might win the hi cap ban, it seems like mandatory back ground checks are forthcoming. Did you learn from this event?

1). Be prepared clearly. I recognized I had everything, but you always want more. I'd love to have the new Colt 901 I think it is that accepts 5.56 and 308 upper - sweet. I don't have it, don't know if I ever will, but if it returns to normality I will, but at least I can live with out.

2). Reconsider your investments? I had bought 5 polymer lower receivers just to save on fees and shipping. Turned out to be a great investment, but I didn't really have extra magazines, ammo, and only a few guns I considered extras. I will be in the market for a case of magazines in the future just for this kind of event.

3). Learn from the frenzy! This is my main point. In a SHTF scenario there will be a frenzy on everything essential from water, TP, and of course now we have witnessed it ( a little ) on guns and related items. Did you sit back and watch? Did you act one way or another? What did you do ?

For me I first sat and watched knowing I was good in what I had.
Second I took inventory. I was only off a little on what I thought I had, and I found myself over stocked on some.
Third I finally entered the fray to trade off / sell what I had that profited nicely and advance my wants.
Finally I did witness the panic from non prepared family, very sad.

You?

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have everything I need on the guns, ammo, and magazines purchases. I purchased extra mags and kept them in their original packaging even. Mags wear out, so I bought spares. I was able to avoid having to buy anything during this panic because I have been preparing all along.

I do have one want, some of the new 25-round windowed P-Mags, but they are not scheduled for release until May.

This panic has been the worst one ever. The irony of the proposed gun and mag ban (and now the ammo tax increase) is that it caused everybody and their cousins to go buy everything in sight nationwide. We are now more armed than ever before.

I have sold a few home defense guns to friends who got caught in the squeeze. I had purchased extra guns as backups, and then decided to sell the extras. They came back looking for extra ammo, and I turned them down.

I thought about selling, but the Democrats are really working the new laws behind the scenes, and I think a smoke-filled back room deal could get cut on this, so I have decided to stand pat for the time being. I got my stuff at discounted and sale prices. I could make a killing selling some off, but I cannot replace any of it without paying more than stuff is normally worth.

So, it is cold and snowing outside, supplies can't be found anywhere, and The Ant will sit by the fire and watch the Super Bowl. Those ne'er-do-well grasshoppers are all SOL and all I can say is it is not like nobody warned them it could happen.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I know I don't have as much as I would like, I just started stocking up around this last Sept. I don't have a unlimited budget so I am going to have to deal with what I have at the moment and ride this thing out. I have currently enough to make me feel safe but not enough to make me happy. constantly watching things and picking up a deal when I can. I honestly think a few months from now things will really calm down when the majority realize that a AWB is not in our future. just my thoughts.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I am good to saw Obama coming right away.
But when I see a fire sale going on in NY I spending some cash.
I did buy another 30 round AK mag in honor of NY today

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
My step daughter told us she just got a .22 rifle, but couldn't find any ammo, I told her I have some extra, but I won't give them to her, it will be at cost, for family only.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I am good to saw Obama coming right away.
But when I see a fire sale going on in NY I spending some cash.
I did buy another 30 round AK mag in honor of NY today
I doubt you will see a fire sale up here in NY. You will see a lot of people moving out of this communist hell hole and a lot of civil disobedience but people are not going to take a few 1000 dollar baths on stuff just because our Dear Leader Chairman Cuomo stands on a stage and makes an ass out of himself.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I doubt you will see a fire sale up here in NY. You will see a lot of people moving out of this communist hell hole and a lot of civil disobedience but people are not going to take a few 1000 dollar baths on stuff just because our Dear Leader Chairman Cuomo stands on a stage and makes an ass out of himself.
I would say more will take a bath than won't, thanks to the ny government and people thinking they have no choice. For me, I hope most loose their butts, then maybe some will learn, but I doubt most will learn. Sucks to be stupid!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
22 ammo is hitting the shelves here and at big retail outlets. Wal Mart here had 333 round boxes here last week at 19.99. They sold out in 20 minutes but it's happening. All things considered I'd rather see people buy a brick of 22LR then an ounce of silver.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am well stocked. However, guns and shooting are something I enjoy as a recreational hobby. The hysteria is having a negative impact on this form of leisure. I'm just focusing on other hobbies and hoping others aquire the items they need to be properly prepared.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have everything I need and want in Guns, ammo and have been stocking up for years. My last few bulk orders where place and delivered well before ammo prices doubled and even tripled.

I do have a Couple NAA 22 Mag Mini Revolver on a wish list with a local FFL.

I have been telling people for years to get ready, some listened and other have decided now it is time to get serious and for them it is way to late.

I wish everyone the best and if you see it one the shelf, buy what you can afford before it is gone.

Karsten

·
Registered
161 Posts
One thing that I have learned is that you are never completely prepared..........and there is NEVER enough money. I started getting prepared a couple of years ago, including the food, water, water filtration and weapons and ammo i have spent a small fortune. When I got started I had a 12 gauge shotgun, that was my only weapon. Since then I have purchased 10 additional weapons, when the gun control nonsense got started I had about 1000 - 1500 rounds of each caliber that I shoot. While this is not great, it is better than some people. My focus now has been securing reloading supplies. I had already got started with reloading and got caught with my pants down......I only had 2000 primers.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
One thing that I have learned is that you are never completely prepared..........and there is NEVER enough money. I started getting prepared a couple of years ago, including the food, water, water filtration and weapons and ammo i have spent a small fortune. When I got started I had a 12 gauge shotgun, that was my only weapon. Since then I have purchased 10 additional weapons, when the gun control nonsense got started I had about 1000 - 1500 rounds of each caliber that I shoot. While this is not great, it is better than some people. My focus now has been securing reloading supplies. I had already got started with reloading and got caught with my pants down......I only had 2000 primers.
Must agree never enough but then you must make do with what you have.
This year I want to focus on more food storage we will have no problem growing plenty, but food on hand is always good.
Work on the gravity water system, and the still .
Went to the back up wood heat today as a test ,we go to it from time to time to make sure everything works. It was a good test was around zero today for awhile.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Must agree never enough but then you must make do with what you have.
This year I want to focus on more food storage we will have no problem growing plenty, but food on hand is always good.
Work on the gravity water system, and the still .
Went to the back up wood heat today as a test ,we go to it from time to time to make sure everything works. It was a good test was around zero today for awhile.
Smitty, I have three of these water filters.....see the link below. One is in use and I have 2 backups, they work great. I have been using one for about 9 weeks to test and to stop buying bottled water. Our tap water tastes like crap and figured I would save some money. Just thought I would pass it along. Two filters with shipping was approximately $53.00......this was for just the filters.....the buckets and spigot are extra. They are silver impregnated .5 micron ceramic filters.

http://www.monolithic.com/stories/a-practical-life-sustaining-water-filter/photos#1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all. I just joined this site and I wish I could say I was prepared, but the reality we're starting over after losing most everything in the last housing crash including our home. I have good friends and we're making plans but it's not easy and I would settle for a patch of land well away from big cities at this point and we're going to become self sufficient and live off the grid. Fortunately my kids are grown, but unfortunately they think I'm a bit overreacting to our current national situation. I wish I could say they're on board, but they are adults...............

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi all. I just joined this site and I wish I could say I was prepared, but the reality we're starting over after losing most everything in the last housing crash including our home. I have good friends and we're making plans but it's not easy and I would settle for a patch of land well away from big cities at this point and we're going to become self sufficient and live off the grid. Fortunately my kids are grown, but unfortunately they think I'm a bit overreacting to our current national situation. I wish I could say they're on board, but they are adults...............
A lot of us are starting over. I have a piece of dirt to build my new home and shop on but I'm still stuck 1800 miles from it for a while.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts