Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you clean your guns?
My G-Lock has about 1500 rounds,still dirty and still reliable
My AR's each have several hundred rounds fired and are still shooting nice. I'll wait until at least 500 rounds before I clean them

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
EVERY time I shoot them and at least once a month. I like to break them down to oil and clean at the kitchen table when I'm just bumming around in front of the TV.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I always clean after I shoot but I enjoy the process. I somehow find it relaxing to break em down
and clean em up! I'm sure I could go quite awhile between cleanings I just don't do that.

·
Banned
20,845 Posts
I clean every time after I shoot. If a firearm is in the safe and hasn't been shot in a long while, I'll usually wipe it down to remove any dust then reapply oil and take it to the range or put it back in storage.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Usually after returning from the range or within a few days after they have been fired.

If you store them in a safe it is wise to wipe them down every so often. It helps to use a dehumidifier, yet even with the dehumidifier they can still develop surface rust (blued guns).

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
If you shoot corrosive ammo (pretty rare anymore military surplus 7N6, 7.62x54R etc.) absolutely every time you shoot it and spray them down with a water/solvent mixture of some sort. That stuff has corrosive salts in the primers that will render a gun to rust in no time. I don't let any firearm sit for more than a week after I shoot without cleaning and lubrication. It's a readiness thing. It's a monumental pain.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
There are some exceptions like if you use lead rounds, dirty ammo or corrosive ammo.
Colt claims that you do more damage to an AR by over cleaning the barrel .
Gas Piston AR wipe it off put it away about every 500 rounds unless it is going to be put away a long time a cleaning with CLP done.
Hand guns wipe down after use few hundred rounds break it down clean it. Full strip down maybe once a year.
CLP does a great job of protecting a weapon even when not in use it has never failed me

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
There are some exceptions like if you use lead rounds, dirty ammo or corrosive ammo.
Colt claims that you do more damage to an AR by over cleaning the barrel .
Gas Piston AR wipe it off put it away about every 500 rounds unless it is going to be put away a long time a cleaning with CLP done.
Hand guns wipe down after use few hundred rounds break it down clean it. Full strip down maybe once a year.
CLP does a great job of protecting a weapon even when not in use it has never failed me
Never heared of damaging an AR by over cleaning them. What does it do to them?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
IANAL about cleaning firearms,day or two after.detail strip,shoot gunk off with brakleen (red can) and shoot some down bore too, brush barrel with brass brush (and rod guide)many times with Hoppe's, patch till clean,brass toothbrush recesses,light oil to bore with patch,grease bolts,oil all metal with oilcloth (cause of brakleen) put babies to sleep.....OH?....what guns?...I was dreamin about the firearms I would like to have and clean someday.

:)

·
8,973 Posts
I run a bore snake thru each as soon as they've cooled a little. Cleanliness is next to godliness. Besides, it's very relaxing. Like he said, no dirty firearms in my house.

·
Super Moderator
2,831 Posts
My nephew, army in Iraq and Afghanistan, said that a bit if carbon build up in his rifle helped with seals and lubrication so although they cleaned, it wasn't overly clean. I don't shoot ar type rifles so I wouldn't know. I clean my ak .... Er... Actually I don't. ;)

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I clean mine when they need it.
On my EDC, it get a lot of lint, sweat, and schmutz on it from riding around on my belt. So it needs it more often. So I clean it more often.

On my shotgun that I use three or four times a year, I might clean it every other time I take it out.

I let the dirt dictate the cleaning schedule.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I clean every time I shoot no more than 4 or 5 days after.
So it gets cleaned about once a week as I go to the range
and shoot about 100 round with my carry.

I also use frog lube: FrogLube | The World's Only Complete Bio Based 'Green' Weapons Care system, Solvent and CLP USDA Approved

Supposed to be safe for you unlike some of the harder clearners
but it is also a cleaner + lube and it works extremely well.

There is also a pro which is also a con.

It smells minty so my fiance doesn't mind if I clean the pistol
beside her while sitting on the couch, and using the coffee table.

Because it smell minty, it attracts ants! I woke up one morning to holster
my sidearm to see my pistol had been swarmed by ****ing black ants!

There were hundreds of the little bastards inside when I broke it down.
So I wouldn't recommend it if you already have problems with them like
I do living in an apartment complex. I have to keep my dog food in a
5 gallon bucket to keep them from swarming the kitchen in the summer.

I hate apartment living!

·
Administrator
14,679 Posts
Whenever I return from the range I clean all guns that went that time on the tail gate of my truck before they even come into the house.
ALL my firearms are inspected and at least wiped clean with CLP on a very regular basis.
I was trained to take care of my weapon first, even before taking care of myself. It is a good habit, I'm glad it was hammered into my head.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
My guns get a brief cleaning at the range when I am finished shooting and then a thorough cleaning when I get them home.I clean all my guns the same way whether they are 22 rimfires or 35 caliber rifles. A dirty gun can fail on you - when you need it most. I have never worn a barrel out keeping it clean. I also run a dry patch through the bore when I leave for the range.

The cleaning at home includes a disassembly (field strip) cleaning of all the parts and lubing.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If I shoot my gun, it gets cleaned. My EDC gets a thorough cleaning once a week or so, you would be surprised how much lint you get and where it is. The guns in the safe get an oiling once a month or so, I like handling my guns...:p

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I used to be pretty anal and cleaned my weapons every time I went shooting. I would even clean them if I didn't go shooting if they were in the safe for over a few weeks.Over the years, I found they don't need to be cleaned as often as most people think they do. My carry weapons Ed Brown or Colt 1911 get cleaned about once a month. I even put about 10 mags each through them a week and don't bother cleaning them but once a month or so.

I will put about 5-10 mads each through our AR's and clean them about once a month as well. And I NEVER have any problems with them. The 1911's I use as my EDC and wouldn't have a second thought about them not workin like they should.

A lot of people get ANAL about cleaning but I am not one of those guys.. I do clean them but don't have to clean them EVERY time I fire them..

1 - 20 of 67 Posts