Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seen a post on guineapigs and I have been thinking on which ones to get. Rabbits, chickens, guineapigs? I want the most out of them and I was wondering if anyone uses their poop as fertilizers on their garden areas? I want to put raised garden beds in addition to a regular garden and I was thinking on putting this down but was wondering if this is safe or if its beneficial?

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
guineas make good fertilizer. chickens and rabbits make more though but all of them make good fertilizer. guineas can eat a wide variety of stuff compared to chickens and bunnys

·
Registered
693 Posts
To me I would get Chickens, they are a little more hands on in care, but you get Eggs, many times, rather then one use out of the Gpig or rabbits. One chicken can feed you many eggs a month, where you slaughter a Gpig and that it. You can get meat out of chicken and a Gpig, and bunny, but you also get the eggs out of chickens, seems like a far more sustainable resource, foodwise.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
what about goats, I was wondering at goats. I love goat cheese

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have had goats and chickens. The benefit to chickens is the eggs and meat. The poop is very good fertilizer, but very hot. It has to go through composting first.
Goats are great and can give you meat and more goats. They are great to keep property clean of weeds. Just make sure you tether them so they can't reach what you don't want them to eat. They also jump very high so they need a higher fence. Even the little pigmy goats I had could jump 4 feet high.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts