Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an active duty Marine in the Infantry and I am married with two kids and two dogs. I cant buy my own house to store preps or make my own bug in location so i am forced to prioritize what I should bring and what I should stock up on more. I am seeking information about multipurpose gear, planning considerations and ideas on how to better my situation. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Start with the basic essentials- Food/Water/Light/Radio/Shelter so that whatever type of emergency hits us, you'll have enough to tide you over for a couple of weeks and give you a breathing space to consider your next move, based on what the news reports are saying on your battery radio.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If I may ask. Why can't you buy your own house?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
First thing to do is plan where you would bugout to. Than what you would need to get to and survive their. The sad part is there is such a population in America and so many who won't have a bugout location other than the "the country", "the woods" and/or whatever natural reserve is close to them that all of those places will be crowded and in no way are capable of naturally sustaining the population. Or shut off to people invading them. It's a very different world we live in these days compared to times when such a thing was possible. With such stresses game will be stripped clean and heading further away from people very fast. Most people have no idea what's to eat besides or willing and no plan otherwise. It will be dangerous to the extreme as it always is when people get hungry. I feel for you having children and hate to say how much hardder that could make it. Best thing you could do is find like people to make a plan with and prep or even better do it family. than you can really get an idea of what important.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I'm considering some of these Casita campers, the little 17 foot jobs, these things are really kinda scary how nice they are inside. I saw one today at bass pro with marble counters, stainless appliances, dang thing was nicer than my own beloved kitchen and I spent some serious bucks on my kitchen.

·
Registered
938 Posts
AssaultmanDoug:

First please allow me to thank you for your service to our Nation and People.

I would suggest you consider mobile kits for now. No doubt you know how to ruck up, and you have man portable gear and packs. I would recommend you focus on duffle bags and back packs, and portable shelter - yep, a tent. If you have no way to shelter in place and hole up, you will need shelter for your family and yourself as the first priority. I camp a lot and we enjoy it. Modern tents can keep you and yours comfortable. I would buy a good one when you can afford to. Then you and your significant other practice pitching it, so you both know how.

Then you need food, water, fire, lights, appropriate clothing, and I would recommend air mattresses and sleeping bags. Extra blankets and a couple tarps, one for ground cover under your tent, one for an awning/shade/rain cover. Camo if you can find it.

Then you need camping gear -- entrenching tool, knives, axe & hatchet, hammer (tent stakes), canteens or water storage, water purification tabs or filtration device, IFAKS, and spending some rack time reading Army survival manuals (unless you have, then share with your S.O.), and I am sure you can handle the guns and ammo stuff.

Unless you can afford a small (hunting style) mobile camper. If not, a quality tent and related camping gear will help you hold down the fort until you have time for making other plans, shelter (lean to, small A-frame style shelter, etc.) -- just some food for thought.

Best of luck -- planning is half the fun sometimes.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Doug - I've been there, done that and have the t-shirt (but I was Army). I almost always had a storage area OFF POST. One of those U-Store-It places where I paid $25 a month.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Wh, where'd he go?

·
Registered
74 Posts
good question lattice
he already stands amonge the best brotherhood on earth
also thank you and assultmandoug for your service and sacrifice
just based on this site along i would suggest get to tenn, kenty,so.ohio so,ind so,ill
ark, miss, aok americas heartland and as far away from east or west coast
D"

·
Registered
4 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts