Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to see how many of you grow some/all of your own food? I have several raised beds along with an in the ground garden bed. This year has been very good for tomatoes. I would estimate that I've grown at least 40lbs so far. I try to grow at least 2 dozen types of fruits and veggies. What do you have growing, etc?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I grow a very modest garden, the soil on my property isn't very well suited for growing. I grow tomatoes, hot/mild peppers, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, and corn, in the fall I plant turnips which are cold weather plants, also, I have started asparagus when should be ready to harvest next spring, and of course a nice apple tree which supplies me with apples to can or enjoy fresh.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Growing up, my family grew tomatoes, bell peppers/jalepenos, squash, zucchini, and pumpkins. We also experimented some years with watermelons and carrots. And we have two big apple trees that produced more than we knew what to do with. While I was renting a house with a yard a year back, I grew herbs, tomatoes, and potatoes in big buckets. Since moving into an apartment, I had to give that up, though.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Garden was decimated this year, from gophers, to dogs trying to get said gophers.

But my peppers are doing ok. Serrano, habanero, chile de arbol, bhut jolokia....

As for main food source:
Apple (eat and can)
Apricot (eat)
3 peach (eat and make jam/jelly)
2 plum (different varieties)
5 nectarine (to cook with)
Cara cara orange
Valencia orange
Navel orange
Mexican lime
****** lime
Eureka lemon
Unknown lemon
Algerian mandarin
2 Unknown orange
Fig
Mexican papaya
Manila mango
Hass avocado
Lamb hass avocado
Mexicola avocado
Oro blanco(?) grapefruit
5 blueberries (sharpsblue, misty, emerald)
strawberry (what survived the dogs)
Pomegranate
3 Cactus (different varieties. For fruit and protection)
Blackberry (should fruit next year)
2 pecans
Guava
Asian/apple pear
2 grape vines
Stevia (for a sugar substitute)

And roses. They can be edible in a pinch.

I've been replacing non edible trees with trees that produce fruit. Only 6 orange trees were here when I got the place, and one of those died.

Even broke, I've managed to buy trees. Every time I fill my change jar, I get a plant or tree. My penny jar is getting full. Maybe I'll put it towards a drip system.

Want to tear out a bougenvalia and put a ruby red grapefruit in its place. And am also wanting to pull the ****** and put in a bears lime.

Wanting to put in a ton more grapes. Good privacy when green. Also waiting for my friends at the nursery to get another passion fruit vine. So although I'm not the richest person, I'm ever expanding my garden and yard. There will be a day when EVERYTHING is producing and I will be in a better spot than I am now. Sooner you plant, sooner the stuff is producing, so why wait?

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Farmers yes we grow food. If SHTF we could and will be feeding a lot of people.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
We are providing quite a bit for ourselves now.. It was hard when we were in Florida due to the space but we did have a garden.. Here in Montana we have a garden. I am also building a greenhouse that will be heated some with a propane heater this winter.. We have almost 40 varieties of stuff we grow. We also have our own beef cattle, chickens for eggs and meat. I have some pheasant on the way we will use for meat and also thinking about doing some hunts next season for some extra income.. We have a Jersey cow we are using for milk and will start making cheese and butter in the next few days. There are also about 60 head of sheep for meat and income.. We have a few root cellars we are starting to fill up pretty fast.. Next year I am going to plant a few extra acres of corn to help with feed costs also.. Not to mention huntin season is here and will be getting some elk,venison,antelope,duck and dove to fill the freezers as well. We have about 10 deep freezers here and they fill up fast for both families here on the ranch..

Hi Country seasoning here in Montana sent me a case of different kinds of sausage and jerky seasoning to use so we should have several hundred pounds of sausage when we are done.. I just picked up an ass load of butcher paper at Big R so it is about time to start processing some meat!!!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I've grown about 6000 pounds of prime angus, not sure if that is where you were going with this. =)

I will be selling them soon and buying vegitables.

·
Registered
904 Posts
In addition to our normal family garden and a half dozen various fruit trees, we grow around 160,000 lbs. of grapes to sell each year. I also supplement our diet with elk, deer, ducks, doves, quail and fish.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
Since we bought the small farm back two years ago we've had a garden plot every year. Last year it was squash out the ear, this year it was potatoes. A lot? No. Enough for two people for about two months. Next year? who knows. We also have a large wild life population year round from geese to ground hogs and several herd of deer and flocks of turkeys. Do we harvest them. Not right now.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I have two raised beds here, one about 16x3, the other about 6x3. I have 3 Tangerine, 2 Plum, 2 Peach, 1 Apple, 1 Mexican Lime and 2 Pear trees. It doesn't provide all of my fruits and Veggies but it does provide about half of it and makes my grocery bill a heck of a lot cheaper. Since I have such a small area to deal with I do have a tendency to grow some of the more expensive things for me to buy, Like Bell Peppers and Tomatoes and Snow Peas. This gives me the most bang for the square foot available.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts