Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at walmart and picked up a 2 person Ozark Trail tent. It comes in a small formed fitted bag approx 14 inches long. See picture, it fits perfectly in my BOB. $22. IMG_20130203_155141.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry, but with the poles that's really just too much un-necessary weight, I would look into a hammock w/rainfly less weight, don't need to worry about cold wet ground........

·
Registered
365 Posts
Those are cool, but really small. I bought one for my kid while out fishing.
Heavy plastic makes a great tube tent, rain catcher, poncho, sun shade....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tent? Meh. :-?Tents are way over kill. As a kid growing up in the Scouts (I'm an Eagle Scout) I started with all the cool stuff every Boy Scout had to have. By the time I was experienced and salty all I carried was a plain white sheet. Seriously. In my GHB (Get Home Bag) I have a lightweight sleeping bag + GoreTex shell but after winter it's a poncho and poncho liner. Remember, you can use nature to supply you with many things the unexperienced would have to carry with. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Total weight of my bag. 24lbs
Total weight of MY bag with ammo and both pistol and rifle (I'm escaping south Dallas keep in mind!)...61 pounds. (But after time in the desert with the Marine Corps, 61 pounds of knowin' you got the upperhand on most everything...it ain't nothin'! Besides it's worth it to see my family again.) :)

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
(I'm escaping south Dallas keep in mind!)
Yeah buddy you got your work cut out for you there! Im glad my trip will be a little easier and a little less dangerous than yours! Havent been down in that area for years. Used to be something next to nothing but cotton fields once you got passed Wilmer and Hutchins. Used to be some dang good catfishing on 10 mile creek though!

To the OP. Yeah that looks like a decent tent for the size and money. I guess though I am getting old. I got a much bigger tent than that for mine and I am plenty willing to pack the extra weight in order to have the extra room. I just couldnt see anything less than a 4 person sized tent. But I guess there is a big difference in Bugging Out and camping too and I use my tent for both. Ill admit that when I am by myself though, its about the biggest tent I can get set up without any help doing so. Glad I didnt decide to opt for a bigger size!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Totally agree on tent size for camping and bugging out. This is emergency for a few days. Recreation camping is totally different. I have a tent three times larger. I was just happy it fit in the bottom of of bag.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey benny have you tested out the walmart tent by chance? I have been looking at this tent for sometime but have not pulled the trigger. Is it legit?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a lot of really nice camping gear and much of it is for very cold weather. My favorite thing tho is the Thermarest pad. It's very light and makes a huge difference when sleeping on the ground. I have the same stuff my son has, and he camps in the winter, in the Great Lakes. I can carry all my own camping gear, tent, sleeping bag and clothing and some food in my bag, and I am a small woman with a crappy back. We got our stuff from REI. I think the tent is a Sierra Design. Everything is very lightweight, but designed for rugged climates. Now I would not want to hike for a day with it all, but, I suppose if I had to, I could buck up, but, I would whine, at least a bit. My sons hauled me around Utah for a camping and canyoneering trip a while back. I think they were probably glad to drop me off at home when we were done, lol. I think I was financing for their trip, lol.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
there's my review. I'm the only guy who ever used one of these to get pussy. see the video.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
If we're lightweight freaks, we can't get any lighter than this dood who's using just a tarp. Sure it looks draughty but a tarp or tents main job is to keep us dry and it's our sleeping bags job to keep us warm-

Next step up is a cheap lightweight single-skin job like my Texsport Trail tent below, it only cost me about 20 dollars last year and has got a sewn-in groundsheet and bug mesh, the height of luxury..:)
(Noob note- i know single-skins are prone to condensation but they're fine for brief overnight stops. By contrast, "proper" double skin tents will stop condensation drips but are twice the weight,twice the bulk and at least twice the price, and are only needed if you plan to live in them for longish periods in one spot)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I was at walmart and picked up a 2 person Ozark Trail tent. It comes in a small formed fitted bag approx 14 inches long. See picture, it fits perfectly in my BOB. $22. View attachment 1385
Hey yours looks like my Global Trek Commander (below) which I picked up at Woolworths dead cheap a couple of years ago, but mine is a bit smaller,
it was in Woolies Childrens Dept and is probably aimed at kids but I don't care, i'm 5ft 8" and can squeeze comfortably in diagonally, no problem..:)
And if you haven't guessed, I'm a camo pattern nut, (or even a plain dull green or brown would do), anything to avoid attracting zombs from miles around)

·
Super Moderator
2,932 Posts
Good ideas on tents. I don't need one for a bob though. I'm looking at one that can be utilized after a hurricane has damaged or destroyed the house. I refuse to be in a shelter for various reasons and would prefer a tent on my property. So I'm looking at a 4 man dome tent with a vestibule. Key consideration would be keeping out rain as well as good ventilation. Suggestions?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a very good EMT backpack. I paid $250 for it 10 years ago, problem is, it is orange with reflecting tape. Do you think it is possible to dye or paint it a darker color. I don't think a bright orange pack is good for bugging out. I don't want to ruin the bag tho. I have it packed with a lot of medical supplies, and I love this bag, it was set up perfect for emergency calls. I don't really plan on bugging out, because I am rural and have a good set up, but, if I had to, or if I got called elsewhere to render aid, I don't want to stand out like a sore thumb. Basically, I don't want a target on my back. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I have a very good EMT backpack. I paid $250 for it 10 years ago, problem is, it is orange with reflecting tape...I love this bag...I don't want a target on my back. What do you think?
How sweet, "I love this bag" can be inscribed on your tombstone after it draws zomb fire!
So either get rid of it and buy a dark green or brown or camo job, or try dying it, you've had it 10 years anyway so have fun going out shopping for a new super-duper backpack..:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts