Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Not sure it will heat a big space - like my 22 x 28 foot shop but in an emergency it might keep a small well insulated space warm enough.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I have mentioned this before but I run my 2600 sq house at 55 degrees all winter long. It is cold enough to need a blanket on every chair and when the cold months come we wear long johns in the house during the day.

I Live almost one the 46th parallel which is exactly 150 miles south of the Canadian border, and have the advantage of natural gas at my home.

So my Heating, and hot water, and cooking averages $39 per month or $480 per year.

My electricity is a separate carrier but as I have a solar system I can't compare to anything.

Today it was 32 degrees when I got up and warmed to about 44, which is about average as I changed the oil on my truck in my Tshirt.

My point is the average human being can get used to cold temperatures (and even use them as a weight loss program) so just suck it up and save money and go COLD

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I'll keep my home a little warmer than that 55F and the shop will be kept at about 60F so I can work in the winter. I'm glad some of the real men are around though - it makes me glad to be a wuss. ;)

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
check it out! im so pleased to see stuff like this. I can dig it!

Natural Cures Not Medicine: Heat Your Room For 15 Cents a Day
That is funnier than hell! :) I ran across the same plan on Knowledge Weighs Nothing yesterday and had to try it out.

Last night I cleaned out one of Mrs Inor's terracotta pots (about 8 inches in diameter) and put upside down on three of my grandson's wooden blocks. I put four tea candles under it. It took about a half hour to heat up, but I was surprised at how much heat it gave off. Our living room is about 16 X 24 and once it got going, it gave off enough heat to keep that room tolerable. It would not keep you toasty warm on a cold Minnesota February night when it is -30 outside. But I do believe it would be enough to keep the pipes from freezing.

After it had been going for a while, Mrs Inor put a metal cup with about a half cup of water on the top (not covering the hole) and after about 20 minutes, the water was boiling very slowly.

The only danger is if you use a terracotta pot that had dirt in it at one time, do not use the green scrubby thing that Mrs Inor uses on the dishes for cleaning it out. She was not happy. :)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Why is it that I immediately default to the "bigger is better" mindset? I'm talking multiple huge candles and pots large enough to plant a tree in:D

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Why is it that I immediately default to the "bigger is better" mindset? I'm talking multiple huge candles and pots large enough to plant a tree in:D
Or maybe an alcohol stove? Cheap enough to run on E85 if you light it outside and wait a few seconds until the petroleum burns off.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Today it was 32 degrees when I got up and warmed to about 44, which is about average as I changed the oil on my truck in my Tshirt.

My point is the average human being can get used to cold temperatures (and even use them as a weight loss program) so just suck it up and save money and go COLD
If I have to change my oil at 44 degrees in a tee shirt, . . . it ain't gonna get done, . . . you can take that to the bank.

I left the republic of Vietnam in early 1968 and have been pretty much cold ever since, . . . getting a minor respite in June, July, and August of most years.

I do know what you are saying is correct, . . . and my native American and Appalachian ancestors did deal differently with the cold than I do, . . . but it's one of them "choice" thingys, . . . and I choose to be warm.

Thanks for the post though, . . . reminds me to visit Montana in the summer time:mrgreen:

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
They don't give the btu rating of his little heater. Unless the room is a closet I doubt 4 candles are going to heat up much.
The heater puts out no more heat then just burning the 4 little candles.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I am thinking that a larger pot and one of those fat four wick candles would be enough to warm our bathroom enough so one wouldn't shriek when sitting. I was surprise how hot the pot got with four small candles and how long the candles lasted even being so small. Options are good to have. Maybe I need a door with lock for the kitchen.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I am thinking that a larger pot and one of those fat four wick candles would be enough to warm our bathroom enough so one wouldn't shriek when sitting. I was surprise how hot the pot got with four small candles and how long the candles lasted even being so small. Options are good to have. Maybe I need a door with lock for the kitchen.
That is a great idea! I will install it tomorrow. Then I can lock you in the kitchen and not let you out until you bake me a cake or some cookies or something! :)

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Or maybe an alcohol stove? Cheap enough to run on E85 if you light it outside and wait a few seconds until the petroleum burns off.
An alcohol stove would certainly work better. But I am paranoid about burning denatured alcohol in an area that is not well vented, like a house. What are your thoughts on the matter?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I've always found it safer and easier to just ask my wife if she would like some brownies or a cake or cookies. If she says, "that would be lovely" then I know I will make it myself but if she tells me she was just thinking about making some then I know she will make it. I am sure that the Inors are partners too, but if not then it will be sad to lose Inor but we can still visit with Mrs.Inor. ;)

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I've always found it safer and easier to just ask my wife if she would like some brownies or a cake or cookies. If she says, "that would be lovely" then I know I will make it myself but if she tells me she was just thinking about making some then I know she will make it. I am sure that the Inors are partners too, but if not then it will be sad to lose Inor but we can still visit with Mrs.Inor. ;)
Mrs Inor does not let me near HER kitchen, except for some very limited and specific tasks. And that is not without good reason. :) When our two girls were little, they and I decided it would be a great idea to bake some cookies for her for Mother's Day. Mrs Inor spent over a week just trying to clean up the damage the three of us caused in just a few hours.

Mrs Inor and I are definitely partners in every sense of the word. But part of that partnership is understanding that some tasks are better left to each of us individually.

Reactions: PaulS

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Well I suppose that after the last Inor post, I'll let him hang out awhile longer. Now I have to go make the best chocolate chip cookies ever made.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Can I get some too?

Oh wait, by "the best chocolate chip cookies" you do mean oatmeal-chocolate chip with walnuts right?

That is THE ONLY real cookie in the world. I taught my wife to make them and she knows that if she expects me to eat her cookies it has to be a REAL cookie.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts