Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a pretty prolific growing season in the southeast. The weather was oddly mild until August so many of our gardens were abundant. We (wife and I) canned nearly 100 quarts of beans alone on top of 50-60 pounds corn in the freezer harvested from the homestead. These numbers don't include the amounts harvested by my parents and those given to other family members. We were truly blessed this season and now we're letting things go to seed to prepare for next spring. On to the fall/winter crops and getting deer season fired up. It's never ending but I wouldn't have it any other way!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I want to go back to it. I was hoping google and mark zuckerberg would kill the world so people could be authentic again, instead of just obscene machine parts in a human desolation system.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to go back to it. I was hoping google and mark zuckerberg would kill the world so people could be authentic again, instead of just obscene machine parts in a human desolation system.
You good? Did I say something here to trigger this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
You good? Did I say something here to trigger this?
I grew up farm and suburb. You are just doing wholesome human normal. It is everything else that is high cost, low yield and mostly toxic. People get caught up feeding a machine that stopped profiting them years ago and has been going beyond exploit, on to predatory and rankly abusive of em now.
Congrats on the crop and that many weeks away from the other worthless living.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I grew up farm and suburb. You are just doing wholesome human normal. It is everything else that is high cost, low yield and mostly toxic. People get caught up feeding a machine that stopped profiting them years ago and has been going beyond exploit, on to predatory and rankly abusive of em now.
Congrats on the crop and that many weeks away from the other worthless living.
Thanks! I misunderstood in the beginning, my apologies. We're happy with our simple life. Producing what we're able and helping others when we can. Trying to raise the kids to carry the same mentality and find enjoyment in gardening, tending the livestock, etc. As you know, its a lot of work but its rewarding at the end of the day when you reap the reward of a long season. Thanks again!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have dozens of tomatoes that are still green and it is getting cooler. What should I make with them, hit me with some recipes. All I can think of is fried green tomatoes.

·
Super Moderator
3,672 Posts
Green tomato salsa is popular around here. A friend recently introduced me to green tomato soup. I find it a bit tart so I added some carrots and a mixture I make similar to rotel.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Green tomato salsa is popular around here. A friend recently introduced me to green tomato soup. I find it a bit tart so I added some carrots and a mixture I make similar to rotel.
We canned quite a bit of salsa during the season but I really wish we’d made some with green tomatoes before the crop went away.

Reactions: Auntie

·
Registered
701 Posts
Salsa sounds great, now to confess I have never made a salsa, any recipes you want to share?

·
Super Moderator
3,672 Posts
Will ask my neighbor for hers. I don't make green salsa, we trade :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
We canned quite a bit of salsa during the season but I really wish we’d made some with green tomatoes before the crop went away.
The only thing I regret about my ridge is, I can't grow squat. Except rocks, oak and cedar. Great habitat for chickens though... also deer and wild hogs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only thing I regret about my ridge is, I can't grow squat. Except rocks, oak and cedar. Great habitat for chickens though... also deer and wild hogs.
You've got me beat with the deer and wild hogs! I wish I had a little better access to good hunting land.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You've got me beat with the deer and wild hogs! I wish I had a little better access to good hunting land.
It's nice in theory. I expect in a real TEOTWAWKI everyone will be drawing on the same resources. My local town is only 10K people but there aren't THAT many hogs and deer. Still, during the initial COVID lockdown when I didn't know anything and played it safe, I decreased the squirrel population a bit. A .177 cal air rifle works really really well for that purpose, by the way. No worries about accidentally missing and hitting a target half a mile away, very quiet, great take-down rates (never lost a squirrel in fact).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's nice in theory. I expect in a real TEOTWAWKI everyone will be drawing on the same resources. My local town is only 10K people but there aren't THAT many hogs and deer. Still, during the initial COVID lockdown when I didn't know anything and played it safe, I decreased the squirrel population a bit. A .177 cal air rifle works really really well for that purpose, by the way. No worries about accidentally missing and hitting a target half a mile away, very quiet, great take-down rates (never lost a squirrel in fact).
I know what you mean, for sure. Our town is around 5,000 and around 30,000 for the whole county. Doesn't take much to deplete a resource when EVERYONE is drawing from it. Now you're talking with the air rifle. Thats been something I've really been meaning to invest in for a while now but just never have. I always just forgot about it or something else in life reared its ugly head and took priority. I think its priceless for small game hunting and pest control.

·
Super Moderator
3,672 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know what you mean, for sure. Our town is around 5,000 and around 30,000 for the whole county. Doesn't take much to deplete a resource when EVERYONE is drawing from it. Now you're talking with the air rifle. Thats been something I've really been meaning to invest in for a while now but just never have. I always just forgot about it or something else in life reared its ugly head and took priority. I think its priceless for small game hunting and pest control.
Plus cheap marksmanship practice and the pellets are cheap, easily made (and are made in the US). You can find a real good air rifle for $150. I slow-cook the squirrel. Taught my daughter to hunt and skin them during the quarantine, as well. That was fun.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Plus cheap marksmanship practice and the pellets are cheap, easily made (and are made in the US). You can find a real good air rifle for $150. I slow-cook the squirrel. Taught my daughter to hunt and skin them during the quarantine, as well. That was fun.
That makes it all worth it in the end. My daughter is still a toddler and we’re expecting a son in January. Quite some time before I’m able to include them in on the action but I’m enjoying her (them) where they are in life.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That makes it all worth it in the end. My daughter is still a toddler and we’re expecting a son in January. Quite some time before I’m able to include them in on the action but I’m enjoying her (them) where they are in life.
Congratulations. Our oldest is 14 and I thought we were well done, but we had a happy surprise who arrived this past January. I never do anything the sane normal way, evidently.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congratulations. Our oldest is 14 and I thought we were well done, but we had a happy surprise who arrived this past January. I never do anything the sane normal way, evidently.
Well congratulations to you as well!

·
Registered
58 Posts
My mom always made green tomato jelly. When we tried to garden 10 years ago we found out that we didn't have a good location and ended up making a lot of it. Good stuff.

This is the first year have have gardened in a long time since we have done a lot of work to the property. Some things did way better than expected and some not as well, but we learned things for next year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts